Princess (and Cruise Critic) aren't as good as they used to

dbeckett

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am "oldER" school and prefer the previously known Traditional Dining.  I really wish Princess would return at least one MDR to this concept.  In the meantime, I am either in Reserve Dining or have manipulated the system so that I have a modified Traditional Dining reservation.  It is complicated and requires some serious moves.  

I, for one, and finding it more stressful to cruise than ever.  I miss the "good ole days" when cruising was so simple.  

I have no care if the rest of the DR is random res, walk-ups, or other TD-style diners.  Makes no difference as long as we are happy with our experience.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am "oldER" school and prefer the previously known Traditional Dining.  I really wish Princess would return at least one MDR to this concept.  In the meantime, I am either in Reserve Dining or have manipulated the system so that I have a modified Traditional Dining reservation.  It is complicated and requires some serious moves.  

I, for one, and finding it more stressful to cruise than ever.  I miss the "good ole days" when cruising was so simple.  

I have often wondered why Princess doesn't designate one dining room for Traditional Dining.

Also, why don't they designate one dining room for the formally dressed on formal nights, since so few dress up?

• Like 2

I think Princess has improved exponentially since the post-CoVid restart!  I could be happier with both Princess and even the app makes life so much easily.  I have been on an average of a cruise a month since then and nothin with the app has been, even in the least bit, insurmountable.  
Cruisecritic has seemed to lost its appeal for so many.  I still like it but there is a lot less interest or traffic than there used to be.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

can you just call Princess, a CVP, or a TA - and never have to use a computer or smartphone to book and pay for a cruise - then just show up with your passport, or identification documents?

Yes you can book 100% via CVP or TA via telephone without using a computer. You can then show up at the port and check in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teechur said:

I have often wondered why Princess doesn't designate one dining room for Traditional Dining.

Also, why don't they designate one dining room for the formally dressed on formal nights, since so few dress up?

Probably for the same reason they changed to anytime and dine my way in the first place. While some people like traditional probably not enough to actually fill up a dining room.

Before Covid the early traditional had lots of empty tables and wad used for overflow anytime.

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have a friend who is "old school" and would prefer to use her horse instead of a car!  But seriously, times have changed as has the preferences of most cruisers.  Traditional dining is pretty much dead on most cruise lines.  While I agree that many things used to be more simple, I will admit to enjoying the ability to make my own choices.  For those that want to keep anything close to the old traditional dining scheme, they can simply make reservations at the same time (and MDR) for every night.  You can also have a chat with the host/hostess and ask about keeping the same table every night (not always possible).  You are right that is a bit complicated, but it is what it is.  Consider that when we cruise on Seabourn (a luxury line) the MDR does not even open until 7PM and it is all open dining.  Folks that prefer to dine at 5pm or even 6pm are out of luck unless they are willing to settle for room service.

Hank

• Like 2