Airline Stike in Italy, Vista embarkation delayed

shepherd really

A little birdie told me that today's scheduled Vista embarkation in Trieste has been delayed in order to allow passengers more time to get to the port.  

There is an airline strike in Italy causing much chaos.  Hopefully it works out for all involved.

45 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

A little birdie told me that today's scheduled Vista embarkation in Trieste has been delayed in order to allow passengers more time to get to the port.  

There is an airline strike in Italy causing much chaos.  Hopefully it works out for all involved.

All airlines or one specific?

2 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Several airlines, but since I can't find a reliable all-inclusive list, I can't answer your question.

I googled Italy airline strike and found that there will be a 1 day strike July 15.  Supposed to be ground staff  air traffic controllers , check in staff, baggage handlers.  Some cabin crew members .   

This strike was announced quite some time ago. I am thinking that Vista and other cruise ships embarking in Italy ports were probably prepared for these delays. European ATC etc strikes create such a mess. We’ve been caught up in them before. I am not sure that they accomplish much, but they have continued to do this for years. 

On Vista now.  Have to spend an extra day in Trieste to have time for all passengers to board.  Will miss our planned stops in Kotor and Split.  Not happy about that but certainly understand the reasons why.  Cruising is not an exact science!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, debbyma said:

On Vista now.  Have to spend an extra day in Trieste to have time for all passengers to board.  Will miss our planned stops in Kotor and Split.  Not happy about that but certainly understand the reasons why.  Cruising is not an exact science!

I am so very sorry about having to miss these stops; we have been to both before; each one has its own unique experience.  Haven’t been to Trieste, but did have a cruise booked with that port.  Of course it was canceled.  I hope the rest of your cruise runs smoothly.

I wonder if O is fast to cancel ports (a question more than a comment).  Consider that HAL's Oosterdam was also in Trieste today.  And guess what, they left on their cruise and will not be skipping ports.  Having been to Kotor (one of the more fabulous ports in the Med), missing that place would have me more than upset.  

Cruise lines often have to make tough decisions.  Inconvenience some folks whose arrival is delayed, or inconvenience the many more folks who are already on the ship.  Flying-in the day of cruise (any cruise) is a very bad idea and many of us often warn folks (here on CC) to always fly-in at least one day early (especially if flying a long distance).  We do know that many O folks simply book with O air and take what they get.  These folks ignore the advice, of many here on CC and elsewhere, to always fly-in at least a day early.  But now on the Vista, the more than 1000 folks who flew in early are paying the price (of missing two fabulous ports) because of the much smaller number who take their chances on a day of cruise flight?

So, HAL leaves on time and their folks, who may have missed the cruise, will have to catch-up in Albania...which is more difficult than catching up in Split or Kotor!  Bad for those folks who made the choice to fly-in the day of a cruise, but that was their choice!   That is the way most lines operate!

Hank

• Like 4

Surprise!  All passengers made it to the ship today, and we are on our original schedule.  So much rescheduling for the destination desk and the rest of us with private tours.   Perhaps Oceania is a bit too cautious with its cancelations.  Anyhow, we are thrilled to be going to Split and  Kotor.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Airlines (some) and trains too.  Italy is a mess today.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I wonder if O is fast to cancel ports (a question more than a comment).  Consider that HAL's Oosterdam was also in Trieste today.  And guess what, they left on their cruise and will not be skipping ports.  Having been to Kotor (one of the more fabulous ports in the Med), missing that place would have me more than upset.  

Cruise lines often have to make tough decisions.  Inconvenience some folks whose arrival is delayed, or inconvenience the many more folks who are already on the ship.  Flying-in the day of cruise (any cruise) is a very bad idea and many of us often warn folks (here on CC) to always fly-in at least one day early (especially if flying a long distance).  We do know that many O folks simply book with O air and take what they get.  These folks ignore the advice, of many here on CC and elsewhere, to always fly-in at least a day early.  But now on the Vista, the more than 1000 folks who flew in early are paying the price (of missing two fabulous ports) because of the much smaller number who take their chances on a day of cruise flight?

So, HAL leaves on time and their folks, who may have missed the cruise, will have to catch-up in Albania...which is more difficult than catching up in Split or Kotor!  Bad for those folks who made the choice to fly-in the day of a cruise, but that was their choice!   That is the way most lines operate!

Hank

Agree totally - it is foolhardy to fly in (or even take a train in) on the day of the cruise.  You need to have at least 24 hours and preferably 48.   (Our next cruise, from Malta - we have 3 nights in Malta before we sail.  Anyway there is a lot to see and do in Malta)

• Like 2

When we departed from Trieste on Vista in mid May I checked the Italian state website that lists all strikes on a regular basis before we left since we were taking the train from Venice to Trieste.

When our O cruise ends in Trieste (next year) we will pick up our rental car and go on our merry way.  No concerns about train strikes.  While we have used the trains in Italy (many times over the last 50 years) we have been burned more than once by one-day strikes (some announced and some that just seem to happen at the last minute).  The weirdest strike happened when we were grabbing a train from Certaldo to Florence (for dinner) and the train never arrived.  We stood on the small platform with a dozen locals and waited for the next train which also never arrived.  We, and the Italians, just shrugged our shoulders, accepted that "It is Italy." and went on our merry way (we simply jumped in our car).  A few days later when we were at FCOs train station we asked about those trains and were told "there was a 1/2 day strike on the line between Florence and Sienna (and I guess also down to Rome).

Hank

“Sciopero” is strike in italian. I love the sound of that word (not the action). “Grève” is strike in french. My husband says it translates to “floating holiday.” 🤨

My favorite word in Spanish is “jaleo” as in “¡Que jaleo!” {what a riot}
JK!

Edited by PhD-iva
More silliness
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

“Sciopero” is strike in italian. I love the sound of that word (not the action). “Grève” is strike in french. My husband says it translates to “floating holiday.” 🤨

My favorite word in Spanish is “jaleo” as in “¡Que jaleo!” {what a riot}
JK!

Jaleo is a wonderful 30 year old restaurant in DC owned by Jose Andres.

Had no idea it meant riot in Spanish.

2 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Just looking at an online dictionary and it can also mean mess or hassle!  🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SATaxman said:

Come to think of it, although jaleo = riot, “¡Que jaleo!” translates better as “what a mess”

I love languages….

1 hour ago, debbyma said:

Surprise!  All passengers made it to the ship today, and we are on our original schedule.  So much rescheduling for the destination desk and the rest of us with private tours.   Perhaps Oceania is a bit too cautious with its cancelations.  Anyhow, we are thrilled to be going to Split and  Kotor.

OMG, another huge screw up by O.  We went through similar BS with our Marina booking back in Dec 2021.  The cruise line changed our itinerary and debarkation port from Lima, Peru to Santiago, Chile (only 1500 miles distant) with 3 weeks notice.  2 days later they sent us an e-mail and said they were not sure if they were going to make the change (they had previously announced) and we should wait a few days to make an arrangements (we had already cancelled our air from Lima).  Then 3 days later they told us, yes, we are changing the entire 2nd half of the itinerary and moving the debarkation port.  At that point we told O to take a hike, cancelled (2 weeks prior to the cruise) and demanded (and received) a full refund.

So, I wonder how many on your ship had already cancelled private tours in Kotor and Split before O again changed their mind.   But you are lucky to be going to Split and Kotor!  In regard to Kotor, be up early and on deck to enjoy the picturesque sail-in to that port.  You should get about 1 1/2 hours of some wonderful views and you weave your way to Kotor.  It is one of my favorite ports in that region.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SATaxman said:

I used to travel to DC about once a year, sometimes more, and always ate at the original Jaleo! Over the years, others that I was with would recommend other restaurants, but I always ended up back at Jaleo. And I definitely didn't know what it meant.

18 hours ago, debbyma said:

Sadly that’s not the case. We are sitting back at home as Oceania couldn’t find a suitable flight available to allow us to join the ship in Trieste. We also have family in the same situation but they were at least able to get a flight direct to Split today. I wonder how many other people this has affected.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pompey Lil said:

Sadly that’s not the case. We are sitting back at home as Oceania couldn’t find a suitable flight available to allow us to join the ship in Trieste. We also have family in the same situation but they were at least able to get a flight direct to Split today. I wonder how many other people this has affected.

Were your flights arranged by Oceania?

1 hour ago, Pompey Lil said:

Were you flying in the same day as embarkation?