Beach recommendations

georgeschris

First time in Hawaii. Will be on Princess ship at end of sept/ beginning of august. Question is: wanna see Pearl Harbor-any recommended tours? Princess has quite a few.  Also want to go to a beach, I guess Waikiki is the one to see first time. Looking for best way to fit the 2 places in. Thanks for your help

6 minutes ago, georgeschris said:

wanna see Pearl Harbor-any recommended tours? Princess has quite a few.

Pearl Harbor is done quite easily on your own without paying extra for a tour. It takes a little bit of planning-- you have to get timed tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial-- but otherwise much more enjoyable to do not in a group tour setting.

7 minutes ago, georgeschris said:

Also want to go to a beach, I guess Waikiki is the one to see first time. Looking for best way to fit the 2 places in.

Waikiki will be one of the nicest, closest beaches to where you'll dock in Honolulu. Beaches in Hawaii are public-- I would recommend the stretch of Waikiki thats between the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the Westin Moana Surfrider. Lots to see, do, eat, and drink there-- Mai Tai beach bar at the Royal Hawaiian is a lot of fun. 

My guess is that Oahu isn't going to be the only island stop on your cruise. There are much nicer beaches in Hawaii as a whole than Waikiki. If you let us know where else you'll be we can make some additional beach recommendations. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 8:42 AM, georgeschris said:

How do u get feee tickets. 

https://www.recreation.gov/ticket/233338/ticket/16

Through this website-- it is the official government site that controls tickets for the USS Arizona which is run by the Navy and administered by the National Park Service. This is the only official place to get tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial. They are technically free but with a $1.00 service fee per ticket. 

You need to book at least a month out to get availability. 

• 3 weeks later...

You do not need, or even necessarily want, to pay for a "tour". Get the tickets at recreation.gov. You want a time as early as possible in the morning before the wind comes up. Afternoon shuttles are often cancelled due to choppy water.

For a beach on Oahu, Kaimana Beach is one of my favorites, it is just Diamond Head of the Waikiki District. Ala Moana Beach Park, which is just Ewa of Waikiki District is nice too.

With just one day on Oahu I wouldn't try for Lanikai Beach, Kailua, etc.

On Maui, Ka'anapali Beach and Napili Bay are nice.

On Kauai, Kalapaki Beach is nice and walkable from the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 9:29 PM, princeton123211 said:

Pearl Harbor is done quite easily on your own without paying extra for a tour. It takes a little bit of planning-- you have to get timed tickets for the USS Arizona Memorial-- but otherwise much more enjoyable to do not in a group tour setting.

Waikiki will be one of the nicest, closest beaches to where you'll dock in Honolulu. Beaches in Hawaii are public-- I would recommend the stretch of Waikiki thats between the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the Westin Moana Surfrider. Lots to see, do, eat, and drink there-- Mai Tai beach bar at the Royal Hawaiian is a lot of fun. 

My guess is that Oahu isn't going to be the only island stop on your cruise. There are much nicer beaches in Hawaii as a whole than Waikiki. If you let us know where else you'll be we can make some additional beach recommendations. 

Is the beach at Waikiki an easy walk from the port? 

You can jump a public bus along ala moana blvd (almost in front of the port) to Ala Moana Beach Park (15 minutes) or Waikiki in 30+.  Frankly, unless you feel you need to get to Waikiki Beach (and I get it), I'd go to Ala Moana.  It's large, generally less crowded, very safe beach.

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DCwom said:

Google maps says a 56 minute walk. I don't think I'd want to walk it, but to each their own.

56 minutes at a brisk pace.  Uber is a good option.  We didn't go all the way to the port but the beach to the Ala Moana Mall was $11, so figure around $15 to the port.

It is walkable.  My wife walks from the far end of Waikiki to Ala Moana Shopping Center and from Ala Moana Shopping Center to Downtown once a week when we're in Honolulu.  I'll walk part of that, but prefer to take the bus.  The beach I was referring to is that gorgeous mile of sand on the Makai side of the Ala Moana Shopping Center.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 9:42 AM, lienf said:

Is the beach at Waikiki an easy walk from the port? 

No, the beach at Waikiki an not an easy walk from the port. Pier 2 is over 3 miles to the beach in Waikiki and Aloha Tower, even further. And that is in 80° heat, with high humidity and high UV index. The sun is more intense in the tropics.

2 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

It is walkable.  My wife walks from the far end of Waikiki to Ala Moana Shopping Center and from Ala Moana Shopping Center to Downtown once a week when we're in Honolulu.  I'll walk part of that, but prefer to take the bus.  The beach I was referring to is that gorgeous mile of sand on the Makai side of the Ala Moana Shopping Center.  

We did that walk last month but were certainly ready to take an uber back. It was walkable, but tiring.