Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

I also want to add to my post this morning about there only being one gangway. Yes, it was a long wait in a long line to get off the ship and we lost 2 hours of time in Harstad.

What happened was the port provided two gangways. When the GM and the safety officer checked the safety of the gangways they saw that one of the gangways was not securely connected to the Star.

The decision was made to keep passengers safe and use the one safe gangway.  Of course I fully support this decision and absolutely appreciate that safety comes first.

• Like 13

Yvonne, you know that feeling when you're reading a wonderful book and you just have to stop reading and feel the emotions it invokes, trapped between the desire to absorb what you've just read and the desire to consume even more? That's what reading your reviews does for me. Your words transmit your experience and your photos are a visual feast.

We have been to Norway several times but this review has us excited to book another cruise there - it just won't be with NCL (which has been our line of choice until now).

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I also want to add to my post this morning about there only being one gangway. Yes, it was a long wait in a long line to get off the ship and we lost 2 hours of time in Harstad.

What happened was the port provided two gangways. When the GM and the safety officer checked the safety of the gangways they saw that one of the gangways was not securely connected to the Star.

The decision was made to keep passengers safe and use the one safe gangway.  Of course I fully support this decision and absolutely appreciate that safety comes first.

Considering that there have been several gangway incidents with Norwegian ships in the last few months, I do not blame them at all for being super careful.

• Like 1

Thanks for the amazingly detailed review and great photos!  I've been following along with interest (and a lot of sympathy!) as we were recently on the Star.

We were onboard from 21 May (Ireland) for four b2b cruises, including Norway, Svalbard, Iceland and Greeland, ending 3 July. 

During cruise three we did consider whether to just get off at the end of it and walk away from cruise four.  We've never, ever, felt that way on a ship before.  

We're glad we didn't, as the stops in Greenland were great.  As well as all the previous ports, especially Longyearbyen. 

We were on the Star before, Lison to Rio to Buenos Aires at the end of last year.  Even then, we didn't like it much, mostly for the structural things (no observation lounge, no great outdoors, uncomfortable theatre) but also for the poor invisible management. 

Still, we decided to go ahead with the cruises this year, for the itinerary.  It's the last time though, we won't be back on the Star, regardless of where it goes. 

It made us seriously reconsider whether to cruise with NCL again, and we did cancel some future bookings as a direct result.  We still have some bookings though, hope the Jade and Jewel are still OK.

The Star needs a complete change of culture from the top down.  Step one is for head office to provide more crew (there are just not enough trained people), and then for management to start treating the crew well.

We did get the Latitudes book in the cabin each b2b cruise (except one where we changed room at the last minute) and mostly got the strawberries.  Water quantity and size varied each cruise, no consistency.  Stewards were good.

Laundry service was the best thing on the Star, spectacular fast service, even same day one time.  But you have to tell your steward to go check if it's ready, there is no process for them to be properly notified so they assume it takes days and then forget.

You mentioned having no data (so no map) in port.  We use maps.me, which works offline.  You can download maps for specific countries (or regions) before your trip, w=or when you have wifi.  Those maps (based on open street map) can then be used without data (gps doesn't need data, it just receives).

We enjoyed all the ports on our four b2b cruises (43 days) but the Star is on an exclusive list: the only ship we've decided never to go back to.

Edited by Rob_H
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, caitlynambrai said:

I agree with you, 100%. We were on an RCL Alaska cruise earlier this summer and I kept noticing that some food seemed to be lost in translation. For example, in the buffet at breakfast, there was "avocado toast" which was actually guacamole on non-toasted, sliced baguette. I can't recall the other examples I noticed, but it helped me realize just how different the home diets of the employees are from the diets of many cruise passengers. 

Meanwhile, I was eating AMAZING Indian food for breakfast on that same cruise, including a bread called puri, which I loved and intend to ask for on my cruise on the Star this December. 

Are you on the Dec. 22-Jan 7 cruise? If so, we'll also be on board - with a little apprehension after reading about Yvonne's tribulations. 

Yvonne, I hope things improve YVRTeacher.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Would now be a good time for me to tell you that there are toenail clippings on the carpet in the new cabin?

There are toenail clippings on the carpet of the new cabin.

Would this also be a good time to tell you that when I went to the Cruise Next desk today to register for the Behind the Scenes tour she told me it was full?

Would now be a good time for me to tell you that the room steward said that since I am back to back I don’t get the Diamond Latitudes coupon book for the two free meals and the laundry.

Would now be a good time to tell you that there were no chocolate covered strawberries and Flow Water boxes delivered today? Nothing.

19 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

By now, they need to give you the beverage package for free. Or a year supply of the worlds’s best Norwegian cake. I hope you can figure out a way for Dad to try that cake. 

I lived in the beautiful wine town of Sommerach for a little over 3 years. Sorry for the delayed response. I’m catching up. 

If they comped the drink package, maybe you wouldn't notice the quality of the food as much? 😆😆🤷🏽‍♀️😆😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

There is a grilled cheese sandwich on the kids’ menu and it is available in all restaurants. 

Ah!  So my initial instinct might be right?  Perhaps, not an accident or incompetence?  It's a terrible thing to think of a crew or staff member, but if it's on the menu they clearly know what it is.  One needs to realize this could be the case.

Thanks for more beautiful excursion pictures! I can clearly tell from all these pictures that you are having a good time on your travels. 🥰

And, that's a good grilled cheese sandwich! I'm happy they came through for you. I had forgotten it was on the kids' menu, so there's no excuse for not knowing how to make one.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GALSews said:

Are you on the Dec. 22-Jan 7 cruise? If so, we'll also be on board - with a little apprehension after reading about Yvonne's tribulations. 

Yes! Bringing my spouse, 4 kids ages 14-24, and my in-laws. 
See you there!!

My mistake about the grilled cheese being on the kids’ menu. I’ll always acknowledge when I’m wrong.

The reason why I thought it was on the kids’ menu is because when we were on the Jewel in May and had Haven lunch in Cagney’s the maître d offered me a grilled cheese sandwich from the kids’ menu. They even cut the crusts off!

I do see it’s not on there.

• Like 7

"They even cut the crusts off!" Now that is service! You would think someone on the Star could figure out a simple grilled cheese.

You photos are stunning! Thank you for taking the time to share them.

• Like 1

Yvonne, your photos of Norway are just stunning!! I’m in awe and already planning a cruise there for next year. 

I was just wondering if you were telling your dad back in Canada about your woes on the Star? Or would you be concerned that he might worry too much. 

I hope you continue to have such beautiful blue skies as were shown in your photos today!

• Like 1

Today was an excellent day all around. Harstad was an incredible port. I need better WiFi before I post because photos are a must.

I ate two meals on the Star today and both were great. (Breakfast was a vegetable omelette and a bowl of fruit, dinner was at Ginza. I forgot to take my phone to breakfast and I’ll share dinner photos tomorrow.)

I have now been provided with a 5 page list of every possible vegetarian offering from NCL. I have put check marks next to over 100 dishes that sound appealing and that contain protein. The Restaurant Manager meets with me at every meal and so does the Executive Sous Chef. 

I really want to stress that I am so happy to be in this part of the world, to have strong legs for hours of walking and to get to explore new-to-me ports for hours. This trip is bringing me so much joy.

I made strong friendships that will continue beyond the cruise on the first leg and I’ve already met some incredible people on this leg. 

A crappy sandwich, a messed up omelette and rotten lettuce can’t be the measure of a trip.  I’m not letting the food or the ship reduce my excitement, sense of wonder, pleasure in small moments and absolute joy of travel.

I also want to retract something I said in an earlier post. I said “this ship has no heart.” I shouldn’t have written that.  I really, really like and respect the General Manager, Manny, and the Restaurant Manager, Garry. These two are everywhere on the Star, checking in on passengers and checking in on staff.  I have observed both gentlemen offering words of kindness and thanks to crew. 

Yes, I’ve had bizarre service a few times. For the majority of meals service has been good. I feel like 90% of the face-to-face encounters I’ve had with staff have been positive. The people at Guest Services have always been polite and cheerful. Shore Excursions staff are excellent. I love the music on board. The Cruise Director, Beancka, is also very present, very friendly, very well-spoken and a joy to chat with.  So is Alvin. There is a member of the Cruise Director’s staff, Lucy, who is absolutely hilarious. I hope to see her rise in NCL. I go to game shows I don’t even like just to see if Lucy is hosting. She could be a stand up comic. The staff at Starbucks are amazing. They know everyone’s name, call out greetings across the Atrium and bring so much cheer to this ship. On the last day of the last cruise I was in the Atrium listening to one of the musicians and person after person came to Starbucks to get their photos taken with the baristas and to tip them.

I’ve already mentioned Johannes. I let Garry know how much I appreciate this remarkably kind, friendly human. Garry told me Johannes is up for a promotion and he just interviewed Johannes. There is a waiter in Ginza who is also excellent. His name is Mon. He listens so well and is meticulous about my orders. I have also told Garry what a great job Mon is doing.

It must be very challenging for the GM and the Restaurant Manager to see less than acceptable food being served. They need to see it and be made aware what is happening.  More passengers need to take photos and show them to management. 

The two big issues with the Star are the actual ship (lack of an Observation Lounge or Spinnaker, nowhere to sit near a window) and the food. 

It’s not my style to give anecdotal evidence and write about other passengers’ experiences. However, because what I’m eating is somewhat unique I’m going to share a little bit. Everyone I talked with last cruise had hit and miss experiences with meals. Four items that stand out as repeated “hits” are the salmon in La Cucina, the pork chop in Cagney’s, the shrimp and orzo dish in the MDR and the short ribs over broad noodles in the MDR.

The big “misses” were the Garden Cafe, meats not being cooked properly and food being over or under salted. Another miss is how often mistakes were made.

The chocolate covered strawberries and the Flow Water have been delivered. They opened up additional spots on the Behind the Scenes Tour. I should get my laundry back tomorrow. There is Sail and Sustain Mixology and a Latitudes party tomorrow so Yvonne gets to drink. Twice!!!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Considering the culinary skills of the Star's "chefs", when they saw an order for grilled cheese, I'm surprised they didn't just throw a square of American cheese on the grill...which still probably would have been preferable to the mess they served you the first time.

8 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Yvonne, your photos of Norway are just stunning!! I’m in awe and already planning a cruise there for next year. 

I was just wondering if you were telling your dad back in Canada about your woes on the Star? Or would you be concerned that he might worry too much. 

I hope you continue to have such beautiful blue skies as were shown in your photos today!

I’m in awe of Norway too!

Each time I write a long post with photos on here I copy and paste and email that to my dad. When I was on the Bliss for Spring Break I did the same and didn’t hear back from him. I called him from Los Angeles on the turnaround day to see how he was doing and told him it would be helpful if he responded to the emails. When I was preparing to leave for this trip I asked my dad to respond to my emails every day so I knew he was still alive😂

I didn’t tell my dad I was sick those first few days because I didn’t want him to worry.  He does know about my experiences on the Star and he knows I’m loving the ports. He knows I can hold my own and am very, very sensible. He isn’t worried about me at all! 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

Yvonne, you know that feeling when you're reading a wonderful book and you just have to stop reading and feel the emotions it invokes, trapped between the desire to absorb what you've just read and the desire to consume even more? That's what reading your reviews does for me. Your words transmit your experience and your photos are a visual feast.

We have been to Norway several times but this review has us excited to book another cruise there - it just won't be with NCL (which has been our line of choice until now).

This is so kind of you and so touching. Thank you so very much!

• Like 1

@Rob_H excellent summary! I 100% agree with you.

43 days on the Star! Did you do what I am doing and enjoy some treats and meals ashore?

You sure had 4 amazing itineraries and that should have been an outstanding cruise. The challenges with the Star are significant and she is also on my “never again” list.

The Jewel is my favourite NCL ship. Top notch management and crew. Which itinerary are you doing?

I am so happy for you!!!!  

Please tell Alvin that someone very far away, wishes him well and prayers for him.  I hope he gets his opportunity to become a CD soon.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

• Like 1