Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Last night I met up with new friends for dinner in Versailles. After some searching in the system the host found a lovely window side table that wasn’t all crowded in near other noisy tables and we really enjoyed the food and the conversation. Thank you @TrumpyNor and @Norwegianprincess

Appetizer= vegetable tempura rice roll. Excellent! I wanted two of these but didn’t want to be greedy!

IMG_8913.thumb.jpeg.e71ba72eb78ffbbcd2a1f8f019c8640e.jpeg

Appetizer #2= green salad. Fresh, crispy, just the right size.

IMG_8914.thumb.jpeg.89649ff66299f565e7a9b6ae21c4d16a.jpeg

Entrée=.baked Ziti. Tasted good. Tasted better than it looks. Lots of vegetables in the sauce. Portion was too big since the pasta is so filling.

IMG_8918.thumb.jpeg.d544556a6814ac38b9b2b2b28a0d033a.jpeg

Dessert= strawberry rhubarb crumble. Very good! Ratio of topping to filling was a little off, but  both were tasty.

IMG_8920.thumb.jpeg.eb6d004240f91dea92c142190c3e02bf.jpeg

I continue to enjoy and savour the Shades of Blue Riesling.

How lovely to see you actually getting a full meal of decent food. If memory serves, that might be the first time since you left Canada!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Just a little tip: it’s so windy that an umbrella likely wouldn’t be useful. Pack a waterproof rain jacket with a hood that tightens around your face and make sure you have waterproof footwear.  The lightweight hiking boots I bought for this trip have been excellent. 

Another little tip to add--put a baseball cap on and then tie the hood around that--helps to keep rain out of your eyes--unless it is sideways rain.

• Like 7

A few years ago I was on an excursion in Tórshavn while visiting the fairyland-like Faroe Islands. The guide spoke about their remote location and how they are encouraged to marry people from outside the Faroes. As I was the only non-partnered person on board a 15-seat passenger bus, I suddenly felt the sting of 14 pairs of piercing eyes focused in my direction. The burden to take one for the team and sacrifice myself to our host was fierce, but I resisted. That decision turned out to be the best for the both of us, but mostly for the host.

Thank you, Yvonne, for your time, effort and devotion to posting reviews that are so alive and colorful as to transport us through the pages of Cruise Critic right onto the ship with you. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 18

Breakfast.

O’Sheehan’s.

Omelette. 
Bagel (I have given up on the English muffins as they taste like something from which a wasp would build a nest)

Small fruit bowl. Enough with the white melon.

Orange juice.

Coffee.

Big breakfast since I knew I wouldn’t have lunch until late afternoon.

All good, plus Yohannes was my server. @cruiseny4life did you know he has a wife and a 5 year old son?

IMG_8926.thumb.jpeg.7f0244f7ec95e2ba2bcdd90d2ee754bd.jpeg

IMG_8927.thumb.jpeg.e00c8974a925eff03a9649b35f0fbf1e.jpeg

• Like 11

August 12

Akureyri

Another absolutely fabulous day (I think I blew all sense of anticipation with that lead!)

Thanks to Cruise Critic-friend-turned-to-in-person-friend @fstuff1 who did a similar itinerary B2B on the Star in May I did a do-it-yourself excursion to Skógarböd geothermal spa at the Forest Lagoon. You can catch the free shuttle from the Hof building to the Forest Lagoon every hour on the hour. Return trips leave Forest Lagoon hourly on the :45.

While construction workers were building a tunnel through Vadlheidi mountain they discovered a large hot spring. Basalt Architects designed and constructed Skógarböd in 2022 in the birch and pine forest, Vadlaskógur. The lagoon created from the hot spring overlooks Eyjafjördur.

IMG_8935.thumb.jpeg.9834c6ff046cc9da925fa11b0fa046e1.jpeg

A solo cruiser I met on the first leg did that water walk-swim-glide thing to come and chat with me and she said, “you look how I feel: wow!”

IMG_9213.thumb.jpeg.d6dbe5efe6f4deb45885cedfb07773f7.jpeg

If there was a need to reduce the experience at Skógarböd to one word it would be…

savour

Each moment felt so special. I alternated from the hot pool (37 degrees Celsius, 98.6F) to the hotter pool (40 degrees Celsius, 104F) tried each bench and viewpoint, sometimes chatting, sometimes closing my eyes and just feeling the heat envelop my body.

In addition to the two hot lagoons there is a Finnish Sauna. Finnish Sauna is code for super hot dry room that makes your cheeks feel like they are on fire. I think I lasted 4 minutes in that dry inferno.

IMG_9130.thumb.jpeg.c49c4ac3b26c0cb36ca3d72c464b9b6d.jpeg

IMG_9129.thumb.jpeg.8993a994737282024822b58c17ae7a8e.jpeg

IMG_9132.thumb.jpeg.a6b6f63408d058e65f67222c502fdabf.jpeg

The tradition is to go from the hot sauna then plunge in a cold pool which feels like a heart attack for your skin.

IMG_9133.thumb.jpeg.4901e5ed4ee8d36937a0fa2e4bf8d06e.jpeg

After you have fully experienced the extreme temperatures of the sauna and the cold plunge you come to your senses, get back in the hot pool and visit the swim-up bar. 

IMG_9012.thumb.jpeg.b4d915560c64447807c353a401ebddbd.jpeg

Why yes, I did have a strawberry daiquiri while submersed up to my neck in a geothermal lagoon in the middle of the forest in Iceland.

IMG_9140.thumb.jpeg.66f69ffacf457bc13215f00b6dd19cf4.jpeg

I spent two hours in the lagoon then showered and dressed. A woman got mad at me for getting the floor of the changing room wet and told me I’m supposed to dry off in the shower. The shower is a row of about 10 overhead sprayers and my towel was in the locker. With a herd of cruisers from two big ships (Celebrity Apex is here) I’m not chancing the loss of a towel! It’s not my fault she was walking around the changing room in her socks. If you don’t like wet, perhaps a lagoon isn’t your most suitable shore excursion. I’ve heard that a visit to the church or a trek in the Sahara can be dry. Make good life choices, lady.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

24 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hmmm.

I must be doing wrong. I was seated by myself on our Tórshavn excursion and our guide didn’t even invite me for dried fish, let alone a life partnership!!

Were you wearing a toque that looked like puffins had been nibbling on it as a snack? Well, I did and strongly believe that was part of my charm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Back at the Hof building I asked the woman at the visitor information desk where to find a grocery store. She said it was a 15 minute walk past the blue building. I found the grocery store and I found the big mall. Which one do you think I preferred?

Hint: the grocery store has sexy chicken!

IMG_9146.thumb.jpeg.63ba9c5131c3d19b9dafd5090ab2195a.jpeg

It also has this.

IMG_9148.thumb.jpeg.7c3e13c82a6a71aa03e7b5271d7f0741.jpeg

Thank you for the recommendation, @Norwegianprincess

I’m going to need to pack an entire extra carry on bag just for Icelandic chocolate and salted liquorice and chocolate liquorice.

People on the bus to the lagoon were also talking about (and munching on but not sharing) the same brand, telling everyone how good they are and how we must try them. I haven’t had one yet.

Why not?

Because I had a SS pylsur vegetarian Icelandic hot dog! Do you ever write something on your to-do list that you’ve already done, just to check it off the list and feel the satisfaction of accomplishment? If I had known how deliciously unique these famous hot dogs are having one would have been on my bucket list. So, I’m going back and adding it then putting a great big check mark beside the item. 

IMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.d1fce79e9cb9cf3cecfdd5c56aeca883.jpeg

IMG_9161.thumb.jpeg.5877b57ffbbea6a82f460ba992b80401.jpeg

IMG_9165.thumb.jpeg.3d01447ff79ec427eb66362292ae9503.jpeg

(The guy in the white sweatshirt is a production cast member.)

I am getting so good at Icelandic I can tell this is the library before I see the whole word.
IMG_9152.thumb.jpeg.70668caa20863b1fde7df7d2e5945a77.jpeg

IMG_9154.thumb.jpeg.5c152856dd03053531b8a39b350079b9.jpeg

I also know liquor store.

In Norway I bought so much salted liquorice (and chips for crew who haven’t been able to get off the ship) that I can work the self check out machines in Norwegian!!

Do you think I’m going to regret not buying waffle mix in a bottle?

IMG_9147.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

August 12

Akureyri

Another absolutely fabulous day (I think I blew all sense of anticipation with that lead!)

Thanks to Cruise Critic-friend-turned-to-in-person-friend @fstuff1 who did a similar itinerary B2B on the Star in May I did a do-it-yourself excursion to Skógarböd geothermal spa at the Forest Lagoon. You can catch the free shuttle from the Hof building to the Forest Lagoon every hour on the hour. Return trips leave Forest Lagoon hourly on the :45.

While construction workers were building a tunnel through Vadlheidi mountain they discovered a large hot spring. Basalt Architects designed and constructed Skógarböd in 2022 in the birch and pine forest, Vadlaskógur. The lagoon created from the hot spring overlooks Eyjafjördur.

IMG_8935.thumb.jpeg.9834c6ff046cc9da925fa11b0fa046e1.jpeg

A solo cruiser I met on the first leg did that water walk-swim-glide thing to come and chat with me and she said, “you look how I feel: wow!”

IMG_9213.thumb.jpeg.d6dbe5efe6f4deb45885cedfb07773f7.jpeg

If there was a need to reduce the experience at Skógarböd to one word it would be…

savour

Each moment felt so special. I alternated from the hot pool (37 degrees Celsius, 98.6F) to the hotter pool (40 degrees Celsius, 104F) tried each bench and viewpoint, sometimes chatting, sometimes closing my eyes and just feeling the heat envelop my body.

In addition to the two hot lagoons there is a Finnish Sauna. Finnish Sauna is code for super hot dry room that makes your cheeks feel like they are on fire. I think I lasted 4 minutes in that dry inferno.

IMG_9130.thumb.jpeg.c49c4ac3b26c0cb36ca3d72c464b9b6d.jpeg

IMG_9129.thumb.jpeg.8993a994737282024822b58c17ae7a8e.jpeg

IMG_9132.thumb.jpeg.a6b6f63408d058e65f67222c502fdabf.jpeg

The tradition is to go from the hot sauna then plunge in a cold pool which feels like a heart attack for your skin.

IMG_9133.thumb.jpeg.4901e5ed4ee8d36937a0fa2e4bf8d06e.jpeg

After you have fully experienced the extreme temperatures of the sauna and the cold plunge you come to your senses, get back in the hot pool and visit the swim-up bar. 

IMG_9012.thumb.jpeg.b4d915560c64447807c353a401ebddbd.jpeg

Why yes, I did have a strawberry daiquiri while submersed up to my neck in a geothermal lagoon in the middle of the forest in Iceland.

IMG_9140.thumb.jpeg.66f69ffacf457bc13215f00b6dd19cf4.jpeg

I spent two hours in the lagoon then showered and dressed. A woman got mad at me for getting the floor of the changing room wet and told me I’m supposed to dry off in the shower. The shower is a row of about 10 overhead sprayers and my towel was in the locker. With a herd of cruisers from two big ships (Celebrity Apex is here) I’m not chancing the loss of a towel! It’s not my fault she was walking around the changing room in her socks. If you don’t like wet, perhaps a lagoon isn’t your most suitable shore excursion. I’ve heard that a visit to the church or a trek in the Sahara can be dry. Make good life choices, lady.

Love, love, love your strawberry daiquiri on a stone! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Were you wearing a toque that looked like puffins had been nibbling on it as a snack? Well, I did and strongly believe that was part of my charm.

I wasn’t! You need to tell me where you shop because that toque sounds delightful!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Love, love, love your strawberry daiquiri on a stone! 

It was delicious! Those stones are tables and you can stand or sit on an underwater bench. I was trying to be respectful and not take photos of people in bathing suits but the places that had the stones had a fun, lively bar-like atmosphere. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

It was delicious! Those stones are tables and you can stand or sit on an underwater bench. I was trying to be respectful and not take photos of people in bathing suits but the places that had the stones had a fun, lively bar-like atmosphere. 

It looks like such a fabulous place to go. I’m sure your dad would love it. Finally a spa where he can get a beer!!

• Haha 10

You can probably guess what happened next.

Cake was involved.

I went back to the same cafe/bakery where I thoroughly enjoyed the Bláberjadraumur on July 25 but they were sold out of most items and I didn’t want a pastry repeat. Attempt #2 at cake in Ayureyri was a success! I didn’t know until a friend shared with me that Blaa Kannan is known for its carrot cake.

IMG_9214.thumb.jpeg.112e27e1778e7dc513a29a6362fa90db.jpeg

With all these choices, the decision was not easy. Fortunately I am tenacious and determined and can persevere through hard times. Yes, it was hard, but eventually I made a decision.

It was a good decision! That icing? It’s fudge! The middle? Strawberries with fresh cream. They offered more whipped cream on the side but I said no thank you. 

IMG_9166.thumb.jpeg.ccd777e22cb597aae7a302e7be6290fa.jpeg

Note: the production cast and the guest musicians were all here at the same time I was and they all had cake too.

• Like 17

I have to go to bed now (it’s 12:36am) but coming up tomorrow:

the story of a souvenir I didn’t buy and really regretted it, the story of a cruise ship photo, the best dinner I’ve had on board, more about the Broadway Cabaret than you likely want to know and a photo of the famous heart traffic light in Akureyri.

• Like 16

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Those stones are tables and you can stand or sit on an underwater bench. I was trying to be respectful and not take photos of people in bathing suits but the places that had the stones had a fun, lively bar-like atmosphere. 

What a great day you had in Akureyri, thanks for sharing it with us!

Quick question — obviously you had your iPhone 14 ProMax in the lagoon with you. Did you trust its water resistance rating, or did you do anything additional to protect it? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

It was a good decision! That icing? It’s fudge! The middle? Strawberries with fresh cream. They offered more whipped cream on the side but I said no thank you. 

IMG_9166.thumb.jpeg.ccd777e22cb597aae7a302e7be6290fa.jpeg

Blå Kannan was a wonderful café! I had cake there too, of course I chose the same as you did! It was delicious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What a great day you had in Akureyri, thanks for sharing it with us!

Quick question — obviously you had your iPhone 14 ProMax in the lagoon with you. Did you trust its water resistance rating, or did you do anything additional to protect it? 

Thanks! 

I have a waterproof case for it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sweetie,

Just to give you a heads up-- very hot weather is due in the Pacific Northwest Monday the 14th through at least Thursday the 17th.

Where I live 300 plus miles South of you it could hit 105 F Tuesday and Wednesday with lots of smoke.  The Seattle Space Needle Panorama Cam is showing lots of smoke over the Seattle area today.  No rain in the forecast for at least the next ten days or so.

As always, I pray that you are doing well.

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers

• Like 1

Hi Mandy!

I have been thinking about you! Did you book the Jewel for May?

Fortunately Vancouver isn’t getting the smoke from the wildfires this year. My dad keeps me updated with daily weather reports and his daily duck pond walk reports. Before he moved into his senior’s residence I used to get daily reports about the squirrels in the bird bath!

Stay safe and cool! Do you have a fan or air conditioning?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi Mandy!

I have been thinking about you! Did you book the Jewel for May?

Fortunately Vancouver isn’t getting the smoke from the wildfires this year. My dad keeps me updated with daily weather reports and his daily duck pond walk reports. Before he moved into his senior’s residence I used to get daily reports about the squirrels in the bird bath!

Stay safe and cool! Do you have a fan or air conditioning?

I am doing well.  I have fans going.

No, I did not book The Jewel.  I am going on The Bliss in the same time frame with a friend I met on The Getaway's first Transatlantic Crossing in January of 2014.  I am very much afraid that The Jewel will feel very strange without Steven, Noel and Hasan.

Mandy

• Like 1

I am sad you missed Lerwick! It is very high on my travel list (I am actually hoping to get a spot in 2025 on a textile tour of the Shetland Islands that is based out of Lerwick). I know you are a librarian and like books. I am not sure how you feel about cookbooks, I really like to read about what other people eat. Year In My Shetland Garden by Misa Hay is a very nice cookbook. And since it is very focused on eating locally and seasonally it is very vegetable forward and most recipes are vegetarian. I have made a few of the recipes and they have turned out very yummy. 

• Like 2