Seattle Embarkation Princess

TCTXCruiser

I am taking my first cruise ever this September out of Seattle and I am a little lost on getting on the ship.  Can anyone help put my mind at ease? 

• I am arriving in Seattle the day before and will then Uber to the port from my hotel.  I want to be on asap so I can make reservations, have lunch and well I am just excited.  What time should I arrive at the port?  I was thinking 10:30 but is that late, early?  I am in a suite if that makes any difference on timing. 
  • I keep seeing conflicting things about what to do with your luggage once you are dropped off at the port.  Some people say give to the porters and they are great.  Others say the porters aren't cruise ship employees and won't care for your luggage. Is there place we would go to give direct to princess?  I have no desire to carry it on myself.  I also have no problem tipping the ports if that is the best or easiest or only option. I just don't really understand what the options are and I don't want to give my luggage to the wrong person and never see it again. 
  • Are there clear signs where to go to wait to board if you have priority boarding?  
  • Any other tips or tricks anyone has?  

Thanks for any help!

Since most of your questions involve a cruise on Princess, you really should be asking your questions on the board here for Princess, under Cruise Lines P-Z.  
  As far as luggage goes, you give your larger bags, those that would not fit through an airport security scanner, to the porters.  Make sure your boarding documents are in purse or carryon, not in checked luggage.  There is no one else to give them to.  Yes, they anticipate a gratuity.  But realize that they are longshoremen, union and work for the port.  They are quite well paid, as these are coveted assignments that they bid on, and often go to the most senior that are the best paid.  
   As for what happens inside the terminal, I can’t answer as I have never sailed from Seattle.  Both of my Alaska cruises were from Vancouver.  Those questions are best answered over on the Princess board.  EM

• Like 1

I don't know about what the earliest time to board might be.  The place(s) to drop you luggage will be very obvious. Like @Essiesmom says, you won't have an option to give them directly to a Princess employee.

Personally, I don't worry about giving my bags to the porters.  My SIL has concerns similar to yours.  After handing them over, she tries to wait & watch until they are placed on the trolley, belt, or whatever (for whatever it is worth).  Tipping a couple bucks per bag is commonplace if you want.   

4 hours ago, TCTXCruiser said:

I am taking my first cruise ever this September out of Seattle and I am a little lost on getting on the ship.  Can anyone help put my mind at ease? 

• I am arriving in Seattle the day before and will then Uber to the port from my hotel.  I want to be on asap so I can make reservations, have lunch and well I am just excited.  What time should I arrive at the port?  I was thinking 10:30 but is that late, early?  I am in a suite if that makes any difference on timing. 
  • I keep seeing conflicting things about what to do with your luggage once you are dropped off at the port.  Some people say give to the porters and they are great.  Others say the porters aren't cruise ship employees and won't care for your luggage. Is there place we would go to give direct to princess?  I have no desire to carry it on myself.  I also have no problem tipping the ports if that is the best or easiest or only option. I just don't really understand what the options are and I don't want to give my luggage to the wrong person and never see it again. 
  • Are there clear signs where to go to wait to board if you have priority boarding?  
  • Any other tips or tricks anyone has?  

Thanks for any help!

Hello @TCTXCruiser

Since your questions have to do with your port of departure, I have moved your thread to the West Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are a great resource for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will reply to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are so glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

During the past 2 years we have had to sign up for an arrival time in our cruise ship app check in. Last year we were assigned an 11:00-11:30 arrival. In years past our favorite arrival time was 10:30. Sometimes we had to wait 15 or 20 minutes before boarding, but then we were one of the 1st on the ship. When we arrived at the port one of luggage valets will load your luggage on a cart. We usually tip them at that time. Cruise employees will be there to guide you to the correct lines. After they check your passports and boarding passes you go through security with any carry on items. You will then be directed to the suites check in. Enjoy!

1 minute ago, North2Alaska10 said:

During the past 2 years we have had to sign up for an arrival time in our cruise ship app check in. Last year we were assigned an 11:00-11:30 arrival. In years past our favorite arrival time was 10:30. Sometimes we had to wait 15 or 20 minutes before boarding, but then we were one of the 1st on the ship. When we arrived at the port one of luggage valets will load your luggage on a cart. We usually tip them at that time. Cruise employees will be there to guide you to the correct lines. After they check your passports and boarding passes you go through security with any carry on items. You will then be directed to the suites check in. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info!  We currently have an arrival time of 11. Probably should have said that!  I'm glad to hear there are cruise employees around for guidance.  

Cruised out of Seattle in the Discovery last month.  We spent the pre cruise night at SeaTac hotel, Red Lion.  No amenities to speak of, was clean and comfortable.  Group of 8 so we reserved 3 rooms so everyone could stretch out.  Two rooms were connecting.   Shuttle available from terminal to hotel, but I think walking is just as easy.   Walking distance to a couple if restaurants, liquor store,   Reserved Seattle express for pick up and return to airport after cruise.   Would definitely do it again.   Price, location, cleanliness great.

To get to the question, we had a pick up at 12:15pm.   Arrived at the port with absolutely no lines.  Luggage drop off was efficient.   First  check in before upstairs was swift.   No waiting to pick up medallions.  6 of our party did not have passports but did not delay checkin.   From dropping luggage to boarding, maybe 20 minutes.

We do not need to be on board to have lunch in the dining room.

RE porters: On weekends there are two ships at Pier 91, HAL and Princess.  Longshore porters are assigned to one cruise line or the other, and wear different color vests.  Since they are assigned a particular ship, the porters will only take luggage that are sailing on the ship - i.e., a HAL assigned porter will not take luggage that is going to a Princess ship.  It is one way to keep all the luggage correctly separated.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Cruised out of Seattle in the Discovery last month.  We spent the pre cruise night at SeaTac hotel, Red Lion.  No amenities to speak of, was clean and comfortable.  Group of 8 so we reserved 3 rooms so everyone could stretch out.  Two rooms were connecting.   Shuttle available from terminal to hotel, but I think walking is just as easy.   Walking distance to a couple if restaurants, liquor store,   Reserved Seattle express for pick up and return to airport after cruise.   Would definitely do it again.   Price, location, cleanliness great.

To get to the question, we had a pick up at 12:15pm.   Arrived at the port with absolutely no lines.  Luggage drop off was efficient.   First  check in before upstairs was swift.   No waiting to pick up medallions.  6 of our party did not have passports but did not delay checkin.   From dropping luggage to boarding, maybe 20 minutes.

We do not need to be on board to have lunch in the dining room.

Thank you for all the details!  I did go back and forth on if we should stay near the airport or downtown.  We ultimately decided on a downtown hotel since we will have some time on Friday but the Seattle Express sounds great.  

25 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

RE porters: On weekends there are two ships at Pier 91, HAL and Princess.  Longshore porters are assigned to one cruise line or the other, and wear different color vests.  Since they are assigned a particular ship, the porters will only take luggage that are sailing on the ship - i.e., a HAL assigned porter will not take luggage that is going to a Princess ship.  It is one way to keep all the luggage correctly separated.

This is great information.  Thank you!  I have my luggage tags printed in color so hopefully easy for the right porter to find me. 

If you would decide to stay near the airport we usually stay at the Cedar Brook lodge. It has beautiful flower gardens and fish filled ponds with nature trails. It’s not your typical airport hotel. Free airport shuttle and free breakfast on weekends. They have gathering areas in each building filled with complimentary sparkling water, chocolate raisins, malted milk balls, yogurt, and frozen ice cream treats. We no longer stay downtown since we found this place. 

Could someone clarify what type of luggage porters take - large checked bags AND carry-ons or we are allowed to bring our carry-ons with us to the ship? In my previous sailing on HAL we did bring our carry-ons with us. 

17 hours ago, North2Alaska10 said:

If you would decide to stay near the airport we usually stay at the Cedar Brook lodge. It has beautiful flower gardens and fish filled ponds with nature trails. It’s not your typical airport hotel. Free airport shuttle and free breakfast on weekends. They have gathering areas in each building filled with complimentary sparkling water, chocolate raisins, malted milk balls, yogurt, and frozen ice cream treats. We no longer stay downtown since we found this place. 

wow! That is not what I picture for an airport hotel. It looks beautiful. 

8 hours ago, trin880 said:

Could someone clarify what type of luggage porters take - large checked bags AND carry-ons or we are allowed to bring our carry-ons with us to the ship? In my previous sailing on HAL we did bring our carry-ons with us. 

From what I understand the scanners for carry ons is about the same size as the ones at TSA in airports. So if it fits in the scanners you can carry it on. Large luggage would need to go with the porters. I plan on keeping my backpack with me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TCTXCruiser said:

From what I understand the scanners for carry ons is about the same size as the ones at TSA in airports. So if it fits in the scanners you can carry it on. Large luggage would need to go with the porters. I plan on keeping my backpack with me. 

The scanners ARE the same as the airport scanners. Carry ons only.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trin880 said:

The porters will take both large bags and carry-ons.  Hubby likes to drop off both, I only leave my larger bag.  I like to personally carry on my iPad and his medications.

• Thanks 1

Our travel agent usually asks how many bag tags we want printed to label our checked bags with porters. We normally get 2 each and then she laminates them. We always keep a bag with our meds or any valuables with us. Our town car driver (Quality Town Car) usually unloads our luggage and tracks down a porter so we don’t have to handle any luggage but carryon. Make sure you have your travel and boarding documents with you (we bring paper copies as once our computerized docs didn’t work).