Could someone confirm or deny...

shepherd really

On a social media site, a claim was made that after Oct. 1 EVERY stateroom will have two free internet accounts whether booked with Olife or Simply More.  

I have been unable to confirm this as correct and it seems at odds with the information from Oceania, although we all know their communications are sometimes lacking.

Anyone have any thoughts or further information?

• Like 2

With the potential doubling of people trying to surf, stream, etc, will the system handle it? I’m not sure this is a plus or a negative. 

Starlink was very nice on the Vista, but there were still times service was slow to non existent. Now a doubling of potential users! 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, basor said:

Of course, we are on VISTA starting on the 29SEP so just miss this but will be able to take advantage on our B2B2B for our other 2 VISTA cruises following....

Maybe Oct 1st   we will magically get the 2nd connection 😄

• Haha 1

Hmmmm, so all those people that switched over to SM after the change and used the additional Wi-Fi as part of the reason as it made it more attractive from a dollar standpoint kind of didn’t get quite the advantage thought.  Have to say a bit shady by Oceania as they knew at that point when they rolled out SM that this change was also going to happen. Oh well. JMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Hmmmm, so all those people that switched over to SM after the change and used the additional Wi-Fi as part of the reason as it made it more attractive from a dollar standpoint kind of didn’t get quite the advantage thought.  Have to say a bit shady by Oceania as they knew at that point when they rolled out SM that this change was also going to happen. Oh well. JMO.

But  you will also get  free wine/beer/Champagne  for lunch & dinner  compared to those that did not take  the O life perk 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I switched due to the summer sale and the included beverage package; the added internet was a nice touch but didn't drive the decision.  I would imagine that some might have been swayed by it.  Probably not too many though.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

But  you will also get  free wine/beer/Champagne  for lunch & dinner  compared to those that did not take  the O life perk 😉

Unless that was your OLife choice! 😉. So now you switched for shore excursions that as we know many don’t like. 

• Like 1

Just now, EJL2023 said:

Unless that was your OLife choice! 😉. So now you switched for shore excursions that as we know many don’t like. 

true

We do cruise only   as do many others

1 minute ago, shepherd really said:

I switched due to the summer sale and the included beverage package; the added internet was a nice touch but didn't drive the decision.  I would imagine that some might have been swayed by it.  Probably not too many though.  

I also assume many switched before the summer sale was announced and that only impacts 72 cruises. Regardless, just a shady way of doing business IMO.  

• Like 1

Just now, EJL2023 said:

I also assume many switched before the summer sale was announced and that only impacts 72 cruises. Regardless, just a shady way of doing business IMO.  

Your assumption is dubious since the Summer Sale and Simply More rolled out virtually simultaneously. 

Look, I am cynical to the point of being annoying to many on this board, but this does not look like an instance of "shady" business practices.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

With the potential doubling of people trying to surf, stream, etc, will the system handle it? I’m not sure this is a plus or a negative. 

Starlink was very nice on the Vista, but there were still times service was slow to non existent. Now a doubling of potential users! 🙄

Remember...  A ship doesn't order "Starlink", but rather "Starlink with 'x' bandwidth".  If there isn't enough bandwidth, they aren't ordering enough.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Your assumption is dubious since the Summer Sale and Simply More rolled out virtually simultaneously. 

Look, I am cynical to the point of being annoying to many on this board, but this does not look like an instance of "shady" business practices.  

SM rolled on 7/1, and Summer Sale first noted in here on 7/6 because some people got a heads up from their TA, so probably didn’t hit their website for a few days later for the general public to know about it. And as you recall there was much pent up anxiety about SM, so many probably moved quickly to switch doing the MATH they had available to them at that point. Ok, shady may be too strong, how about Oceania doing business as usual?? Which is even worse.  IMO. Hey, I love Oceania and have 3 cruises booked for next year, but I’m sorry they knew they were making this change and…….nothing. And still have it as in their marketing for SM on the website. 

Edited by EJL2023

9 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

SM rolled on 7/1, and Summer Sale first noted in here on 7/6 because some people got a heads up from their TA, so probably didn’t hit their website for a few days later for the general public to know about it. And as you recall there was much pent up anxiety about SM, so many probably moved quickly to switch doing the MATH they had available to them at that point. Ok, shady may be too strong, how about Oceania doing business as usual?? Which is even worse.  IMO. Hey, I love Oceania and have 3 cruises booked for next year, but I’m sorry they knew they were making this change and…….nothing. And still have it as in their marketing for SM on the website. 

If I felt a company was shady in their business dealings and that was them doing "business as usual", I would not patronize them.....too much stress always being on the lookout for them doing something "shady"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, basor said:

If I felt a company was shady in their business dealings and that was them doing "business as usual", I would not patronize them.....too much stress always being on the lookout for them doing something "shady"

I think if you look at my past posts I’m not out looking for them to doing shady business and as I noted, probably not shady but just their usual business as usual or one side of the house not having a clue what the other side is doing.  Which just tells me they have a great product that I like but the way they communicate and do business could use some changes. 😉😉😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Which just tells me they have a great product that I like but the way they communicate and do business could use some changes. 😉😉😉

I have posted almost the exact same thing several times.  That we can agree on.

• Like 3

ALL Cruise Brand marketing departments need a lesson in how to communicate effectively and timely with guests.  ALL of them.  I have been on most brands and IMHO, all approach communication poorly.  I just figured, a long time ago, those were the "rules of the game".  Don't like those rules, don't cruise.  My money, my decision.

On the adding of another device for the internet per stateroom starting October 1, 2023.  It ALWAYS should have been two devices.  Just the way I feel.  Now, for a moment consider if we were on the original "Olife", not in an upper suite, we could have added another unlimited non-streaming internet device for $24.99 per day or for a 10-day cruise, $249.99.  That was not going to happen in my life time.  But now it is a moot point which I see as a benefit. 

Now if I were "O", giving everyone in the stateroom two devices simply makes my life easier.  Too hard to manage otherwise.  Doing the math, I wonder who would not have changed to SM knowing the October 1, 2023 change?  Love to hear from those that changed and would not have?

I love this NEW change.  Why, it benefits my situation the most.  My cruise is in November and my guest now have two devices.  Selfish of me, of course.  

If someone wants to complain about this kind of delayed announcement, call out the awful marketing/communication most brands have, and call the brand shady.  Go for it.  Yet the only reason to still book with the brand you now have issue with is because this is an industry issue, not a brand issue.  Which in my opinion ONLY.  Wish it would change but then what would we all complain about in the future if the communication was great?

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Well you could also be upset that they advertise FREE Gourmet  Specialty dining as well

You just know people switched to get that perk 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe they changed to 2  connections  because so many pax complained  already

Who knows ??

There  will always be something people think the cruise lines  should do or not do  but it is their business & they will do what suits them

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well you could also be upset that they advertise FREE Gourmet  Specialty dining as well

You just know people switched to get that perk 🙄

And plenty people have and 2 for 1 and….and…it goes on and on. And honestly not apples to apples……as those that cruise with Oceania know they do not charge extra for Specialty dining, but do know they charge extra for the second device. 🙄

Edited by EJL2023
  • Haha 1

Yup, I converted 3 cruises to Simply More using second wifi as a key deciding factor. Since we are using the shore excursion credit and will make use of the beer and wine, it is pretty close to a wash for us. Irritating, but not a big deal. I also question the ethics...it is what it is.

• Like 4