First Oceania cruise

Barbara60

I have been reading topics for  couple of days and haven't seen anything regarding dressing for dinner. Is it long pants, collared shirts and no sandals for men? Or dress shorts and collared shirts? or Mens sandals are okay?

Not trying to start a thread fighting over dress codes please. Just looking for information.

5 minutes ago, Barbara60 said:

I have been reading topics for  couple of days and haven't seen anything regarding dressing for dinner. Is it long pants, collared shirts and no sandals for men? Or dress shorts and collared shirts? or Mens sandals are okay?

Not trying to start a thread fighting over dress codes please. Just looking for information.

My DH wears long pants (think Chinos) with a collared shirt and shoes (no sandals) for dinner in GDR and specialty restaurants...adds a sports jacket for La Reserve (and sometimes specialty restaurant).  If we are eating dinner in Terrace will wear dress shorts and nice leather sandals if the weather is warm.  

Edited by basor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Barbara60 said:

There is a section in the booklet that US/Canada passengers receive before sailing. It is more extensive that the FAQ (which is not easy to find...way at the bottom of O's page).

Here's the FAQ wher O talks about this (although it's not complete...I'll type more):

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005474533-Is-there-a-dress-code-

I could take a photo, but it wouldn't be searchable, so here goes...

From the booklet ("blue book") for a fall 2023 cruise on an R-ship (2 specialties):

"ONBOARD DRESS
For your comfort and convenience, the ambiance is casual yet elegant throughout the cruise. Country Club and resort-style attire are appropriate for both men and women. In all evening dining venues, we request that guests adhere to the appropriate country club casual dress code - shorts, casual jeans, t-shirts, athletic footwear or sandals are not permitted in the Grand Dining Room, Toscana, or Polo Grill. However, as Terrace Cafe exudes a resort-casual ambiance, dressy shorts and casual shirts may be worn in the evenings. Tank tops and swimsuits are not appropriate attire for any of our onboard restaurants at any time.
Attire ashore ... (I think we can all figure out what to wear 🙂 )"

So, given these words, the natural questions are:

Can dressy sandals be worn to dinner? Yes, while the grammar is ambiguous, dressy sandals are fine and athletic sandals (Teva, Chaco, Keen) are not even if they cost 3x as much.

Similar for tank tops: Sleeveless blouses that are cut like tank tops are fine, athletic tank tops are not.

Dressy vs. casual jeans are relatively new and not well received by some. If you are a high fashion person who wears classy jeans, you can probably pull it off. My spouse in black jeans cut similar to Levi's 501s needs to find somewhere else to eat (he actually has no problem putting on the proper clothing and even tidying his unruly hair).

I'm sure there are more questions that the "code" evokes, and I think there is more info on the site (something about no swim suits at tea?), but I'm sure someone will pipe in with references.

1 hour ago, Barbara60 said:

Did you try the search function, I think this has been discussed lots.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barbara60 said:

I have been reading topics for  couple of days and haven't seen anything regarding dressing for dinner. Is it long pants, collared shirts and no sandals for men?

That will work just  fine

DH never takes a Jacket anymore

• Like 4

For men: khakis/chinos, a collared shirt (DH wears polos), and and shoes. My DH hates wearing jackets & ties. 

I wear a dress and some dressy sandals. Glam it up a bit with makeup and jewelry. Some ladies wear a dressy pantsuit.

How are “jeans” defined? By material (denim) or pant design? They’re a 5 pocket style pants (with and without rivets) made from exactly the same material as chinos. The only difference is often in the pockets design.

47 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

How are “jeans” defined? By material (denim) or pant design? They’re a 5 pocket style pants (with and without rivets) made from exactly the same material as chinos. The only difference is often in the pockets design.

From what I saw any jean that was dark washed and of the lighter weight denim was fine, especially in the GDR.  Heck there were two women on our cruise that dressed pretty bad. They even showed up one evening in the GDR with sleeveless tees with graphics, and ball caps with their leggings.  Shown to their seats.  My guess is they most likely were allowed as the staff did not want a scene to be made. And who knows they may have already started that at the entrance.  Every time saw them onboard and off they were dressed pretty much the same way.  

Edited by EJL2023

On our two O cruises, I've worn long trousers (like chinos), polo shirt and shoes for dinner. Just as I do to go to a nice restaurant on land. 

The lack of a "formal" dress code  is a major reason for us choosing Oceania. 

• Like 3

Oceania does have a stated dress code, you will find it if you dig deep enough into their website. The problem is it is very rarely enforced to their own standards, so much depends on the dining venue and the ship. How people dress also depends on where they are sailing, from Northern Europe to the Caribbean to the South Pacific things change. 

On 7/22/2023 at 10:39 AM, Barbara60 said:

Just got off the Oceania Insignia.  The buffet was very casual.  For dinner in the Grand Dining Room it was collared shirts and long trousers for men.  Some chose to include a sports jacket.  Didn't see people wearing sandals in the GDR.  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Is there an event for first timers? When is it usually scheduled?

Not to my knowledge, just one for many timers aka Oceania club members of which you will become after your first O cruise!

On 7/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, Hanoj said:

I regularly wear a five pocket pant to the GDR - they are khaki, olive, blue or black in color and made from a chino like fabric.   Never a problem.   They do great double duty as a off the ship pant as well.   The English Laundry brand from Costco are always packed....  😀

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Is there an event for first timers? When is it usually scheduled?

I believe there was an event for first timers on our last two Oceania cruises....  It is by invitation only so I can't confirm on the dailies.

Joe

11 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

I believe there was an event for first timers on our last two Oceania cruises....  It is by invitation only so I can't confirm on the dailies.

Joe

Thank you.