Hotels in Honolulu

KatieMcGee

1 hour ago, kluv2cruz said:

Have you been to Kaanapali Beach hotel lately? The beach bar and food hut are gone. Razed.

Many times. At first I was disappointed the little tiki bar hut was getting the axe but what they replaced it with, Hui Hui restaurant was such a great addition to the beach all was forgiven.

Underneath that is a take out grill and bar combination. This is what they sold in April 2023 as a maitai. In May I went again and it was a different juice type rum drink out of a can. Not good (the April one wasn’t bad and can be purchased at ABC stores!) 

They serve regular Mai Tais at the bar upstairs just like they used to. The bar is very casual and you can go in flip flops and swimwear just like the old hut.

Dale, the bartender, had been there since 1970 when I last saw him a couple of years ago. He’s making maitais for folks in heaven now.

The last I heard when I asked about him in March was that Dale is still alive and well- just retired. Obviously I haven’t asked anyone since the fires so hopefully he was ok. There was a period of time during Oct 2020 reopenings that he came back- the hut was closed but the new restaurant wasn’t open yet. He was making Mai tais from a service bar just off the lobby where they used to serve breakfast. He decided he didn’t want to help open the new restaurant and retired.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

The last I heard when I asked about him in March was that Dale is still alive and well- just retired. Obviously I haven’t asked anyone since the fires so hopefully he was ok.

Sadly Dale passed away in March of 2022, just before his 76 birthday. If you Google his full name, Dale Merville Simonsen, there are some obituaries with nice pictures of him. He was truly a beloved institution in West Maui.

He was a bartender at the KBH for 52 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Sadly Dale passed away in March of 2022, just before his 76 birthday. If you Google his full name, Dale Merville Simonsen, there are some obituaries with nice pictures of him. He was truly a beloved institution in West Maui.

That's a shame-- I didn't know. Such a nice man. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Can’t tell you who invented the Mai Tai, but for atmosphere, location, pool, service, and outdoor bar, the Royal Hawaiian is what I want!

4 minutes ago, philv said:

That’s what I’m talking about trivia addict!

I can tell you who invented the Mai Tai, and have you ever stayed at Halekulani?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Have never stayed at the Halekulani. It looks like an amazing resort but I like the historical feel of the Royal Hawaiian.

I'm with you-- I enjoy the Royal Hawaiian for the same reasons. But Halekulani blows the RH away in terms of service, quality of accommodations, food, etc. 

Pricing at the RH has creeped up over the years that it's to the point at some busier times of the year that unless I'm using Marriott Bonvoy points, for a hundred more a night, Halekulani is a much better value. Paying $600+ a night at the RH is insane for what you get. The RH is a solid $300-400 a night 4 star hotel-- not a $500-600+ 5 star. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Can always go to the outdoor bar at RH for a few drinks!

Honestly the majority of the Royal Hawaiian's charm can be experienced without being a guest in the public areas/bars/lobby etc. The rooms are nice but a little dated and the bathrooms, even in the larger suites, are TINY for a hotel charging that much. It's still one of my faves to stay at though for the sum of the parts, ambiance, and history. 

Even when we do stay at Halekulani we always will go back over to the RH for drinks and a snack and to spend time there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Honestly the majority of the Royal Hawaiian's charm can be experienced without being a guest in the public areas/bars/lobby etc. The rooms are nice but a little dated and the bathrooms, even in the larger suites, are TINY for a hotel charging that much. It's still one of my faves to stay at though for the sum of the parts, ambiance, and history. 

Even when we do stay at Halekulani we always will go back over to the RH for drinks and a snack and to spend time there. 

Agree with everything you have said!

On 9/15/2023 at 12:10 AM, trivia addict said:

Have never stayed at the Halekulani. It looks like an amazing resort but I like the historical feel of the Royal Hawaiian.

Halekulani is more historic than the Royal Hawaiian. It was already 20 years old or more when the RH opened. Unfortunately the original Halekulani was cottages and bungalows and they were getting killed in property taxes because of the amount of land they had vs the number of units.

The building below is the only part of the original hotel to survive the remodel. In the old hotel it was the lobby, restaurant and library/conservatory. In opened out to the House Without A Key. In the current Halekulani it is the home of Orchids and La Mer (upstairs). The wood floors are original and a lot of history and historic figures in Hawaiian history have trod those floorboards.

My family has been staying there (or dining for those family members who lived in Hawaii) for more than 100 years. When I've had to stay at the RH, it is in an Historic Garden Suite because the standard rooms are not standard at. The size is all over the place and some are tiny.

legacy-tour-floating.jpg

48024491223_f82cfa5ba6_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For a good value on the beach in Waikiki, look at the two Outrigger Hotels, for the best, well that is Halekulani.

For value just across from the beach, look at the Park Shore Waikiki, Twin Fin, Queen Kapiolani, Marriott Waikiki and Hyatt Regency Waikiki.

I have booked our pre cruise hotel for our POA Thanksgiving 2024 cruise.  I booked at the Equus.  Haven’t really seen much if anything regarding this hotel.  We get that we are going to have to figure out a few transportation logistics (well, I will).  Given the time of year we are going, and the location I think I got a pretty good rate (approx 150-175 per night). Hotel looks decent.  Doesn’t look like I will be afraid to walk barefoot on the carpet, or other safety concerns.  Im a responsible adult, that pays attention to my surroundings.  We are only there for 2 nights, so we can put up with a lot if we need to.

does anyone have any direct experience at the equus?  I would rather spend money on the cruise and experiences than the hotel.  It is prepaid, but refundable, if I am making a horrible mistake, I will try to find something else.  We typically are a Hilton garden inn/towneplace by marriott - middle of the road type hotel.

6 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

does anyone have any direct experience at the equus?  I would rather spend money on the cruise and experiences than the hotel.  It is prepaid, but refundable, if I am making a horrible mistake, I will try to find something else. 

I think it is a horrible mistake.

It is an awful location, right at the entrance of Waikiki, so every car entering Waikiki goes past it; very noisy. The rooms are small, the lobby is on the second floor, so you schlepp your own bags up a flight of stairs. There are 40 hotels in Waikiki I'd choose before it.

I also think it is WAY too soon to book a room for Nov. 2024.

Other hotels to look at, Waikiki Park Shore, Twin Fin, Queen Kapiolani, Waikiki Beachcomber, Hyatt Place, Hyatt Regency, Aqua Bamboo, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Waikiki, Outrigger Reef, The Ilikai, Holiday Inn Express, Coconut Waikiki, Ilikai Marina, Hilton Waikiki Beach, Marriott Waikiki Beach, Surf Jack Swim Club, Prince Waikiki, Hilton Garden Waikiki, DoubleTree Alana and Hyatt Centric. That's off the top of my head.

Edited to add the Waikiki Grand Hotel. It looks to have some good deals in it too and the Waikiki Monarch. I'd look at the top list first, but either of these is better than the Equus.

Edited by scottca075
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It is an awful location, right at the entrance of Waikiki, so every car entering Waikiki goes past it; very noisy.

100%

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I also think it is WAY too soon to book a room for Nov. 2024.

Also agree. Start looking at hotels once we get into 2024-- hotels right now haven't really published their standard rates or promotions for next year so what you're seeing is the "take it or leave it" pricing that far out. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

I have booked our pre cruise hotel for our POA Thanksgiving 2024 cruise.  I booked at the Equus.  Haven’t really seen much if anything regarding this hotel.  We get that we are going to have to figure out a few transportation logistics (well, I will).  Given the time of year we are going, and the location I think I got a pretty good rate (approx 150-175 per night). Hotel looks decent.  Doesn’t look like I will be afraid to walk barefoot on the carpet, or other safety concerns.  Im a responsible adult, that pays attention to my surroundings.  We are only there for 2 nights, so we can put up with a lot if we need to.

does anyone have any direct experience at the equus?  I would rather spend money on the cruise and experiences than the hotel.  It is prepaid, but refundable, if I am making a horrible mistake, I will try to find something else.  We typically are a Hilton garden inn/towneplace by marriott - middle of the road type hotel.

The other side of the coin from those with negative thoughts… I have no experience with Equus, but have stayed at the Prince which is on the waterside in front of the Equus. It’s on the one hand a good location as you’re just a short walk across the bridge to the Ala Moana shopping Center which is also a major bus transit point. It’s also at the marina where “Gilligan set sail for the 3 hour tour” from! The Charthouse restaurant is nearby and is (relatively) reasonable and good. It’s not an unsafe neighborhood. BUT, it’s a longish walk, that gets old quick, to the busy hectic fun Waikiki beach area. Easy to get Ubers, Lyfts, cabs, buses here though. And as someone said, you’re right on Ala Moana Blvd at the entrance to Waikiki and EVERY car & bus & truck & motorcycle will go by here! But, it’s just busy in Waikiki!

I do suggest you book a cancellable fare (which sounds like you’ve done), and just keep an eye on other deals at Equus and all other hotels. Every week or 3 have a look on whatever booking site you like, sort it in $ order and filter out what you don’t want. Your rate is good (if it includes tax and resort fee), so now you have a benchmark and something just in case nothing else is more attractive. 

I can say more if you want more input! I’ve stayed at a few different “sort of affordable” hotels in Waikiki as it’s (one of) my favourite cruise areas! But it is expensive to stay and to eat there.

Edited by kluv2cruz

20 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

I have booked our pre cruise hotel for our POA Thanksgiving 2024 cruise.  I booked at the Equus.  Haven’t really seen much if anything regarding this hotel.  We get that we are going to have to figure out a few transportation logistics (well, I will).  Given the time of year we are going, and the location I think I got a pretty good rate (approx 150-175 per night).

I just went through this hotel hunting exercise a few weeks back and the Equas never came up, I think it is wise for you to be asking. I came to the conclusion that a "decent" hotel can't be had for under $300 in Waikiki (including resort fee & taxes). On our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale FL we stayed at a Best Western GLO for a pre-cruise night, we were trying to avoid big bucks just for an overnight. It wasn't good, and it set a bad start to the vacation.

Given this is going to be our only trip to Hawaii (we're on the east coast), we decided it wasn't worth it not to stay in the heart of Waikiki and have settled on the Outrigger Beachcomber. We did find a decent package deal through a travel agent for the Beachcomber that was better than Outrigger's web site and includes airport transportation and breakfast, it also can be canceled up to 4 or 5 days before arrival.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2023 at 8:38 PM, DCwom said:

I just went through this hotel hunting exercise a few weeks back and the Equas never came up, I think it is wise for you to be asking. I came to the conclusion that a "decent" hotel can't be had for under $300 in Waikiki (including resort fee & taxes). On our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale FL we stayed at a Best Western GLO for a pre-cruise night, we were trying to avoid big bucks just for an overnight. It wasn't good, and it set a bad start to the vacation.

Given this is going to be our only trip to Hawaii (we're on the east coast), we decided it wasn't worth it not to stay in the heart of Waikiki and have settled on the Outrigger Beachcomber. We did find a decent package deal through a travel agent for the Beachcomber that was better than Outrigger's web site and includes airport transportation and breakfast, it also can be canceled up to 4 or 5 days before arrival.

We choose the outrigger beachcomber as well for those very reasons.

We joined the Outrigger beachcomber membership plan, called to book and they waived the $40/night resort fee.  So for January, we booked a king Cityview for $309 including all taxes.  It's one block from the ocean, has full access to the amenities of the other Outrigger hotels if we want a chair/umbrella. THere is also a senior rate. It's centrally located, fairly new and great reviews.  Something to consider.  We are staying for six nights, so we don't need ocean front.  

Food & Drinks at Waikiki Beachcomber in Honolulu (outrigger.com)