Whose Responsibility Is It to Notify Us of Payment Deadline?

CorFour

7 hours ago, CorFour said:

Maybe someone can shed light on why a CL would require using a TA rather than allowing passengers to book directly?

Apparently in part because they want to offload some customer services like handling final payment reminders. 🤷‍♀️ More seriously, it may allow them to have fewer phone and on-line staff to handle booking and payment processing.

Ultimately, is my responsibility to pay my cruise final payment by the due date.

I book direct with the cruise lines, and they do send reminders, usually I have already paid by the time the reminder is auto sent.

I would like to know what cruise line required a TA.

Edited by SPacificbound
correction

52 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Anyway, in this case the TA didn't lose out on the commission because the passenger rebooked. As a matter of fact, they may have benefited because the rebooking was at a higher cost so probably their commission went up. 

He could (and probably should) have done his rebooking with a different TA. 

And I agree that OP should name the CL.

50 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Apparently in part because they want to offload some customer services like handling final payment reminders. 🤷‍♀️ More seriously, it may allow them to have fewer phone and on-line staff to handle booking and payment processing.

But which cruise lines do that?  I'm only personally familiar with a few CLs and none of them do that.  And I don't recall any chatter on CC about CLs requiring use of a TA.

7 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

But which cruise lines do that?  I'm only personally familiar with a few CLs and none of them do that.  And I don't recall any chatter on CC about CLs requiring use of a TA.

And no one else has posted something like your CL must be and named a cruise line. No one else seems to ever have posted being forced by a cruise line to use a TA.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And no one else has posted something like your CL must be and named a cruise line. No one else seems to ever have posted being forced by a cruise line to use a TA.

Some time in the past when I started booking cruises before the internet you had to use a TA. I thought all cruise lines did direct and online bookings these days but I won’t claim to know everything. Maybe there is a line out there for seniors that works that way. OP should name the cruise line. 

Really is a red herring though. They used a TA. The OP claims they did not get a reminder but while poor service if true it is still their responsibility to make final. Before I had my bills sent by email a few times my utility bills were lost in the mail. I was still responsible and had to call them, get the amount and pay or there woud be a late charge added. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That is something that has been odd about this whole topic.

This has been the odd part from the beginning, being so reticent about "revealing" (!?) which cruise line it is.

It would be very weird for us to write at length about Cruise Line Abcxyz but never actually write "Abcxyz", instead always referring to a generic "CL".  

And then... OP not responding with the name when that is brought up, especially when no one else is able to help out with the name of a "CL" that requires TAs.

GC

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

This has been the odd part from the beginning, being so reticent about "revealing" (!?) which cruise line it is.

It would be very weird for us to write at length about Cruise Line Abcxyz but never actually write "Abcxyz", instead always referring to a generic "CL".  

And then... OP not responding with the name when that is brought up, especially when no one else is able to help out with the name of a "CL" that requires TAs.

GC

Seems quite normal to me ... her cruise is coming up in the future, right?  So she doesn't want to create any possible conflict with the CL.  What if her CL has spies here at CC and they mark her as a troublemaker before she even boards?  Some people are QUITE paranoid about this kind of thing.  Perhaps justifiably so.

Edited by jsn55

Again, I thank you all for your input. I think we've about beaten this subject to death by now, and I see no reason to drag it out any further.

I did not mention the name of the Cruise Line purposely. In my original question my wish was to learn if the Cruise Line or the TA had failed us, and I didn't want to damage anyone's reputation along the way by pointing fingers of accusation or casting aspersions.

While this group's overall consensus is that the TA could have helped prevent the mess, it was ultimately our responsibility to make a note of our final due date and take care of it accordingly. We failed. We paid for it. We learned our lesson. And now we'll make the best of it by enjoying our (more expensive) cruise to the max.

Here's hoping that cruising and the travel industry in general will soon bounce back to pre-CoVid quality!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CorFour said:
  • Is there a way to turn off commenting on this thread? TIA

Yes, the thread is now locked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1