Pullman upper on the Pinnacle class ship verandas?

POA1

My niece is looking at a verandah quad on the Nieuw Statendam. I was trying to find a photo of where the upper berth is, but struck out.

Anybody happen to have one?

Sure, see attached. This is from the Koningsdam, but should be exactly the same. The Pullman bed folds down over the main bed which is less than ideal (watch your head). There is a small removeable ladder that will connect on the end. Having the sofa bed out also makes it almost impossible to get to the balcony. It was workable when our kids were little, but now we've gone to getting connecting cabins and putting the kids next door. We've been on other lines where the pullman will fold down over the sofa making a bunk bed setup which is a much better arrangement.

KD_quad.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

She might be better served by a family cabin.  No verandah but the beds are better placed and it has that extra bathroom.  

We'll be sailing on the Koningsdam in a family cabin - are you familiar with how the beds are placed in those? I thought it was still going to have the pullman right over the main bed?

15 minutes ago, League3056 said:

We'll be sailing on the Koningsdam in a family cabin - are you familiar with how the beds are placed in those? I thought it was still going to have the pullman right over the main bed?

Here is our own @rafinmd explaining the pull-down bunk's placement:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1021-nieuw-statendam/

Unfortunately, his theory doesn't hold for the five K'dam Family OVs which have 3 over the sofa (either shown or described), and two shown over the bed, and not all of the placements are near the window.

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

So it looks like it's the luck of the draw unless you are in one of the five in the halfacts galleries. Where it is still luck but you will know in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League3056 said:

As this fully made up for five people picture shows, even if the pullman is over the sofabed, it will not be like upper and lower bunks, because the sofa pulls out like a bed from the wall.

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1157-koningsdam/

• Like 1

We were in 5110 on the Koningsdam. This room was great for us ( 2 grandparents and grandson)  We used the pullam bed and not the sofa bed. The only aggravation was getting used to the pullman. I couldn't really sit up straight on the bed under it as fully as I would have liked. That said, I'd book it again for two adults and a child. I apologize that the photos are upside down!  I am not sure why they are showing up that way bIMG_1778.jpg.0d6fc2e451f3990656f763bc0c52d955.jpgIMG_1777.jpg.51a18236b84a505ab1f64e4537cfae59.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, League3056 said:

We'll be in 1156, so I guess we'll find out when the time comes!

1156 is the port-side opposite of 1147, so each of these photos should be reversed right to left to be equivalent to yours:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1147-koningsdam/

I *think* that means your Pullman will be over the sofa (that pulls out like a double bed). IOW, your bed, sofa, and pullman will be on the RIGHT as you come in the room and look at the window. 

Now, we don't know why some pullmans are over the main bed and some are over the sofa, so the rule of thumb that opposite cabins are the same except right-left mirror images MAY not hold true. But there you have it!

• Like 1

crystalspin, thanks SO much for your help! I'll be sure to take pics and add to the general knowledge for future cruisers who may be wondering the same thing. We'll be on the Thanksgiving coastal CA cruise with our extended family. Not having to cook or do dishes for Thanksgiving, whilst still being with loved ones - I'll be thrilled no matter where the pullman is (though I obviously prefer it over the sofa bed!)

Pullman we had one time had a horrible slant to it causing the user to roll toward the edge. After setting up a barrier of pillows to prevent dropping down onto unsuspecting cabin mates from above, she said she felt like a baby in an old school play pen but without the benefit of a bedtime story and refused to go back up. It caused us a good laugh, but her not so much - I think she's still traumatized.

That Pullman was over the bed not the sofa and we were very glad her pillows held for the 2 nights she used it.

17 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Coming over the main bed seems like a poor design decision.  The one time we needed one, the sofa flipped down for a single and the upper flipped above it so it was like a set of bunk beds. 

Right, but they are marketing these as holding a family of FIVE! Yikes!

• Haha 1