Any benefits to purchase the Princess Plus or Princess Premier on Diamond Princess?

Hop77

Seeing that there is only Kai Sushi for Classic dining, there is also no Vines for Wine. No gelato ice cream for Premium Dessert, seem like even the Bar options for cocktails offering seem limited. 

For guests who had been onboard Diamond Princess, is getting the Princess Plus or Premier worth it with comparison to the newer ships? 

Thanks. 

Diamond has the Good Spirits Bar on deck 5. Good Spirits has an extra cocktail list with some very interesting cocktails on it, plus they make all the usual ones of course. Deck 7 has Crooners, a very nice big Wheelhouse Bar, and the Explorers Lounge.

Swirls is on the Lido Deck, on the starboard side outside the midships elevator foyer, so you'll be able to get the Premium Desserts if you want them.

My take on whether the Plus or Premier package is worth it mostly depends on how much and what you drink, and whether you want internet. Those are the important things to me. Unfortunately with Princess not providing the promised 25 wines by the glass for Plus (only 9 are available in the Australian region, I'm not sure about USD cruises) it does make it less attractive but you do get a 25% discount on buying wines by the bottle and you only pay the difference in price for Premier wines or other drinks which helps.

5 hours ago, Hop77 said:

Seeing that there is only Kai Sushi for Classic dining, there is also no Vines for Wine. No gelato ice cream for Premium Dessert, seem like even the Bar options for cocktails offering seem limited. 

For guests who had been onboard Diamond Princess, is getting the Princess Plus or Premier worth it with comparison to the newer ships? 

Thanks. 

We were just on the Diamond for 17 days and had purchased the Plus package and were quite happy that we did. I usually had a glass of Moscato at lunch, a Heineken beer on the balcony in the afternoon, and 2-3 glasses of Moscato at dinner. I also had a triple Baileys every night while watching the evening show along with a bottle of water on each of our excursions. My DW OTOH only drinks bottled water (2-3 per day) and hot chocolate (every other day), both of which require to be purchased. We also use the internet every day and, of course, had to pay the daily gratuity charges. So, for us, it was a no-brainer, regardless of what other evolving perks came along with it.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

I have never seen a lack of alcohol on any Princess cruise. Packages are really set up for those who like their cocktails. People who don’t drink at all would likely not need these packages unless they are going to call room service a whole bunch of times every day

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Diamond has the Good Spirits Bar on deck 5. Good Spirits has an extra cocktail list with some very interesting cocktails on it, plus they make all the usual ones of course. Deck 7 has Crooners, a very nice big Wheelhouse Bar, and the Explorers Lounge.

Swirls is on the Lido Deck, on the starboard side outside the midships elevator foyer, so you'll be able to get the Premium Desserts if you want them.

My take on whether the Plus or Premier package is worth it mostly depends on how much and what you drink, and whether you want internet. Those are the important things to me. Unfortunately with Princess not providing the promised 25 wines by the glass for Plus (only 9 are available in the Australian region, I'm not sure about USD cruises) it does make it less attractive but you do get a 25% discount on buying wines by the bottle and you only pay the difference in price for Premier wines or other drinks which helps.

I somewhat confused if you have a pkg.

Why would I buy a bottle of wine to get 25% off if I can get glasses of wine that are free in my pkg?

TIA

7 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why would I buy a bottle of wine to get 25% off if I can get glasses of wine that are free in my pkg?

TIA

Because many times at dinner we want a wine that is not on our package to go with our entree. The 25% off helps

24 minutes ago, memoak said:

Because many times at dinner we want a wine that is not on our package to go with our entree. The 25% off helps

Thanks for your answer. I'm not that picky in my wine selections. It all comes out in the wash. LOL

14 hours ago, Oxo said:

TIA

Because most of the wines on the Australian region cruises aren't very good. There are only two white wines - a semillon/sauvignon blanc blend which I can't drink as I react badly to most sauvignon blancs, and a very oaky chardonnay which is far too young to drink. So if I want a decent white wine I have to buy a bottle. I can drink two of the four red wines but they don't go with everything so if I want more variety I need to buy a bottle of something. Unfortunately whoever chose the Australian wines must still have their head in the 1990s. Wine trends in Australia have changed considerably since then. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

I see you are from Singapore. You mentioned Vines and bars as part of your question but you did not mention if you drink alcohol. 

If either is the case that you choose not to drink or cannot process alcohol, as is the case in a about half of the population in some Asian countries, it makes no sense to buy either package regardless of any other offer. This is the case for the Mtnesterz, so we never buy the plan. 

Edited by mtnesterz

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I have search for more info about the Good Spirit Bar and it seems to perk up my interest in trying some of the cocktails. 

And yes, we are from Singapore and will be purchasing the Princess Premier as we are extremely keen on the additional perks that comes with it. My hubby is very much a teetotaller, just a sips here and there. I do enjoy a glass of wine with all my meal. For this trip, I am keen to try some fancier cocktails as well but it is more for experience and exploration thus a package make sense. Just want to know if I get the same variety and fun on an older ship. 

Having a nice lounge while sipping on drinks is important too. With the positive response here, we will go ahead with the purchase. 🥰

Edited by Hop77