Bringing Hard Cider Onboard from Sydney, Nova Scotia Port

51 minutes ago, kernow said:

DH has always been a cider drinker, he rarely drinks any kind of beer always prefers pints of cider when he is out. I remember the first time we visited the US back in the 80s he looked for cider everywhere we went but never found it. Nowadays it seems to be a bit more common but still not much choice compared to the UK and other European countries. 

I can just imagine his face if he asked for a pint of cider in the USA and got a glass of flipping apple juice!! LOL

We are going to Sydney NS so we will go to the Island Folk Cider place and try it out for Mark! Purely in the name of research of course!  Looks like they have a cranberry flavoured one - yum!

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

In the UK we can buy different flavors of alcoholic cider like Pear, Raspberry, Toffee Apple, Blood Orange, Dark Fruits etc. Can you buy different flavours in the US or Canada?

I've seen some flavors in some areas of the US.  I have a favorite Farm Market in Winchester, Virginia that sells a handful of flavors -- cherry, raspberry, etc.  But, it is non-alcoholic cider.  I've never bought any of them.  But I tasted there free samples!  I'm not a real fan of cider, but it was decent tasting.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I recently bought a flavored variation of hard cider at Trader Joe's.   
Do you remember when wine coolers came out, before you had one, what you thought a wine cooler would taste like?     That is what that hard cider tasted like.  

1 hour ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Do you remember when wine coolers came out, before you had one, what you thought a wine cooler would taste like?     That is what that hard cider tasted like.  

Lol,  sounds like you got a boutique version.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

In the UK we can buy different flavors of alcoholic cider like Pear, Raspberry, Toffee Apple, Blood Orange, Dark Fruits etc. Can you buy different flavours in the US or Canada?

Yes you can.  This is the link to New Brunswick's provincial liquor store which is the main way to buy booze on any kind in New Brunswick.  Mostly apple but lots of others too.  My favourite is Dunham's Run Strawberry.  Delicious!

https://www.anbl.com/products-search?qs=cider

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:44 AM, Bloodgem said:

Yes the Cider house that OPs wants to go to does

https://www.islandfolkcider.ca/

Edited by little britain
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, little britain said:

What is “hard cider”? 

Strongbow!

I am a cider drinker and usually there is stock on board but the last few cruises the draft variety was hard to find or ran out quickly!  

I would rather use one of my Diamond Drink vouchers on a 20oz glass instead of a 330ml bottle!! 

Edited by Blue Eyed Belfast Belle

On 8/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

23 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Lol,  sounds like you got a boutique version.

Certainly doesn’t sound like my memories of scrumpy. 

1 hour ago, Blue Eyed Belfast Belle said:

Strongbow!

I am a cider drinker and usually there is stock on board but the last few cruises the draft variety was hard to find or ran out quickly!  

I would rather use one of my Diamond Drink vouchers on a 20oz glass instead of a 330ml bottle!! 

When we were on the Explorer in June, they did not have anything on tap that I could see but had bottles of Bulmers which we really liked. I think it was 500ml

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 1

Island Folk Cider is on my To Do list for Sydney too!  (Oct 1 and 13.) 

My first hard cider "Woodchuck" in the US was probably about the year 2000 in a college town.  Since then, there seem to be more and more - Angry Orchard and Redds are common brands.    

Last year we were in Boston and stopped at "Downeast Cider House" for a flight of samples and a couple cans to go prior to a cruise. 

Goes well with a side sipping shot of Fireball whiskey.