Live from Splendor, Southampton to Reykjavik

Gilly

I hope your are all haveing an amazing time on The Splendor. Could someone kindly do a favor for me, please. We are going on Splendor October 8  Barcelona to Venice. We are going with friends celebrating their 35th anniversary on October 15. We were told we can make spa reservations strarting 60 days pre cruise. She called and tried to make reservations at 60 days for her anniversary date. and was told that spar reservations are all booked for October 15 (there anniversary). The agent online indicated they may hold back some reservations for guests coming onboard. If convenient at some time during your cruise,  can you kindly ask the Spa Manager, if my friend has any hope of reserving  a couples massage or other spa reservation once onboard, if the spa pre-booking reservations are sold out? I am most appreciative if you can help me out. I'd love to have good news for her. 

Good Morning from the Splendor!

Just before closing our curtains last evening, we looked outside to find one of those magnificent skiesDSC03485_edited.thumb.jpeg.cc55f0192ad268497a02268e0a2ac740.jpeg

This morning, we woke in Prince Christian Sound, Greenland, to find an iceberg outside our window.

DSC03488_edited.thumb.jpeg.0fa68de9a3243b3de2a59cf3b8f710db.jpeg

Speaker Hugh Neighbour will begin his commentary soon - 7am - and we're looking forward to a spectacular morning's sailing.  Right now, the Captain has turned into a small inlet and is taking us to see a tidal glacier at the end of the fjord.  Oooh!

As always, details will be on my blog later, internet permitting 😉

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

Good Morning from the Splendor!

Just before closing our curtains last evening, we looked outside to find one of those magnificent skiesDSC03485_edited.thumb.jpeg.cc55f0192ad268497a02268e0a2ac740.jpeg

This morning, we woke in Prince Christian Sound, Greenland, to find an iceberg outside our window.

DSC03488_edited.thumb.jpeg.0fa68de9a3243b3de2a59cf3b8f710db.jpeg

Speaker Hugh Neighbour will begin his commentary soon - 7am - and we're looking forward to a spectacular morning's sailing.  Right now, the Captain has turned into a small inlet and is taking us to see a tidal glacier at the end of the fjord.  Oooh!

As always, details will be on my blog later, internet permitting 😉

Such beautiful photos!  The top one is especially gorgeous.  My husband has expressed an interest in visiting Greenland, so this is a very helpful post in convincing him to pull the trigger.    

I see you are in Gloucestershire.  I grew up in Gloucester, Virginia!  

• Like 1

@knotheadusc we really only "arrived" in Greenland this morning as we sailed through the Prince Christian Sound and it has so whetted our appetite for what's to come - weather being the main factor, of course.  I'm about to upload some photos to my blog now the internet has returned.

• Like 2

Gilly,

Glad you are continuing to have a lovely time. I must thank you for telling Mudhen about Mermaid Gin, i have not heard of that brand before myself so i thought it only right that i should try a couple for myself on our last night aboard, you are indeed correct, it certainly is a very good gin. Just a pity there was only one night left for me to enjoy it, still there is always the next time, that is if they have it on Voyager.

• Like 2

@seasickphil I hadn't heard of Mermaid either, yet both the standard blue bottle and the pink strawberry one are behind the all of the bars here on Splendor and since it's there on the list of standard spirits I guess it's on the other ships too  ( @flossie009 might be able to tell us if it's on Navigator, perhaps?) Anyway I thought I'd give it a try (what's to lose?)  Since I have connections with the Isle of Wight as well, I was pleased that I enjoyed it!  😅

Splendor seemed to change character slightly when you left, but seems to be back in the groove again now we've got going.  

• Like 2

Today's iceberg (!) just off Nuuk, Greenland 🇬🇱,  where the weather is fine and looking promising, even though the foghorn was sounding for quite some time earlier (I heard it from 5am onwards 🙃)20230814_093145_edited.jpeg.34fdaa43320252972da5ee34fda7a816.jpeg

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 9

On 8/13/2023 at 10:07 PM, Gilly said:

( @flossie009 might be able to tell us if it's on Navigator, perhaps?)

Yes, Mermaid Gin (and vodka) is available in all the bars on Navigator ………………. luring sailors onto the icy rocks 🍸 🍹

B312A28C-6080-4CB3-AE48-D7618917A4F3.thumb.jpeg.2ed51fe74a96557f730bd012f8b74160.jpeg

BCC60055-1E63-478A-84B9-FAC9200B3967.thumb.jpeg.86b1cc83e7b1eab7bbd1fbfb9722729b.jpeg

Best wishes for the rest of your cruise. Here on Navigator we are heading up towards North Cape …………. looks like we may have to wrap up warm for our excursion bird watching tomorrow.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

@flossie009 thanks for confirming that there are a selection of Mermaids on the other ships too!

We just returned from our tour in Paamiut, Greenland where it was a brisk and misty 4C this morning.  Definitely a need to wrap up warm!   I hope your visibility is better.  We enjoyed lunch (favourite Zürcher Geschnetzeltes) in La Verandah whilst watching whales who didn't seem to be  troubled by the tenders going to and fro.

Have fun birdwatching!  (my nightmare 😱 )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This morning our tour took ten of us by private, local boat from Qaqortoq to the Viking church at Hvalsey on our included Regent excursion.  Riding the waves past the icebergs was fun but then we turned the corner and...

DSC03888_edited.thumb.jpeg.7fb6bb2c72f05724098ba6f4372e1825.jpeg

Silver wind was already there and offloading her people on Zodiacs by the dozen.  Not only that but...DSC03923_edited.thumb.jpeg.fd79dc2578d9bf599ef873c6cb5c6ccc.jpeg

Thankfully a little patience ensured we got our pictures ok and their young crew members were generous in their offer of a strong arm or two to help us up a steep slope from the boats too.

DSC03900_edited.thumb.jpeg.82915aa64240770c3a99f659436d259d.jpeg

But there's more than a little irony in turning a corner like that and thinking "Oh no, there's a cruise ship there!", isn't there?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

We left Greenland behind yesterday afternoon and are currently rocking and rolling our way to Iceland, where we arrive tomorrow lunchtime.   We had a wonderful time in Greenland and will remember it fondly - as usual, details on my blog.

When we arrive in Iceland we'll feel as though we're coming to the end of our cruise, even though we still have three more ports of call.  We've already had disembarkation questionnaire and the offer of a half day tour in Reykjavik for those of us on the late afternoon flight to Heathrow.   But rather than thinking about that, we'll make the most of  our remaining time on board before we leave @boblerm and other lucky people to take over!    We're not quite ready to go yet!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gilly said:

We left Greenland behind yesterday afternoon and are currently rocking and rolling our way to Iceland, where we arrive tomorrow lunchtime.   We had a wonderful time in Greenland and will remember it fondly - as usual, details on my blog.

When we arrive in Iceland we'll feel as though we're coming to the end of our cruise, even though we still have three more ports of call.  We've already had disembarkation questionnaire and the offer of a half day tour in Reykjavik for those of us on the late afternoon flight to Heathrow.   But rather than thinking about that, we'll make the most of  our remaining time on board before we leave @boblerm and other lucky people to take over!    We're not quite ready to go yet!!

I have enjoyed following your adventure.

We are on the next cruise, and I was planning to ask if Regent offered any post-cruise tours with airport dropoff for those of us flying home from Reykjavik in the late afternoon.   Can you share any tour details?  

6 hours ago, rotoal said:

We are on the next cruise, and I was planning to ask if Regent offered any post-cruise tours with airport dropoff for those of us flying home from Reykjavik in the late afternoon.   Can you share any tour details?  

We've been offered a half day tour of Reykjavik, arriving at the airport around 1pm.  A couple I was speaking to yesterday have changed one of their tours as a result, since it sounds similar to one of the tours they'd booked for our day in the city (we are overnight there as part of our itinerary)   The tour is included for those of us who have Regent flights home and was available with a charge to others travelling independently on a first-come, first-served basis.