Memo from the British Isles - 14 days Almost Live from Nieuw Statendam

VMax1700

• LauraS featured this topic

I promised a report on the functionality of the TV ports so here is the news!

First a bit of background.  Many cruisers ask about fitting peripherals to the stateroom TV and as most of the TV's are fitted flush to the wall, I was pleased when I saw stateroom 4045 available to book at a good price for this cruise.  I had photographed 4045 on Koningsdam a few years ago (halfacts) and knew that the rear panel of the tv would be accessible via the articulating wall mount.  I also knew that Koningsdam had Samsung TV so bought one of our Samsung remote controls from home and a few cables (usb/hdmi/pen drive etc) and a list of codes to access the Samsung Engineer Menu on the tv.  So my first set back was that on Nieuw Statendam they have LG televisions 🙄so all plans were off!

Anyway onto to testing the functions.  I inserted a pen drive/usb and a message was shown onscreen to say 'USB drive detected' but nothing else happened.  I tried disconnecting the LAN cable and removing the power supply for a reset, but when I powered up again, still nothing.

So, a quick 'WhatsApp' message to a friend who I was meeting in Dun Laoghaire "Please get me a LG remote control!".

To Be Continued........

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mr bluetoon said:

Enjoying your reports👍 can you thank the captain for sailing so close to Peterhead this morning just so I could get a great view of our favourite ship, unless this was for any other reason? ( I did  wave, hope you saw me😋

Sorry, I think I was still in the horizontal position when we passed!

So here is a wave now......👋

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

First a bit of background.  Many cruisers ask about fitting peripherals to the stateroom TV and as most of the TV's are fitted flush to the wall, I was pleased when I saw stateroom 4045 available to book at a good price for this cruise.  I had photographed 4045 on Koningsdam a few years ago (halfacts) and knew that the rear panel of the tv would be accessible via the articulating wall mount.  I also knew that Koningsdam had Samsung TV so bought one of our Samsung remote controls from home and a few cables (usb/hdmi/pen drive etc) and a list of codes to access the Samsung Engineer Menu on the tv.  So my first set back was that on Nieuw Statendam they have LG televisions 🙄so all plans were off!

Anyway onto to testing the functions.  I inserted a pen drive/usb and a message was shown onscreen to say 'USB drive detected' but nothing else happened.  I tried disconnecting the LAN cable and removing the power supply for a reset, but when I powered up again, still nothing.

So, a quick 'WhatsApp' message to a friend who I was meeting in Dun Laoghaire "Please get me a LG remote control!".

To Be Continued........

!!this is dedication!...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

To Be Continued........

I enjoy your posts so much BUT I really wish you wouldn't futz with the TVs. Others with less knowledge will think they can try it too and before you know the TV is broke and the next person in that cabin is out of luck. JMO of course!

View of Edinburgh as we sailed past it towards South Queensferry.

20230818_124333.thumb.jpg.c7f332794cab1d01d01edaf797c5b5cf.jpg

20230818_124354.thumb.jpg.3cf1d5a210cfc661a125f21e70076597.jpg

And the Forth Railway Bridge (Red Girders) and Forth Road Bridge (Suspension) from the Seaview pool looking forward past the bridge

20230818_124408.thumb.jpg.b2e78e54ee1bbbecb8ad95857c662839.jpg

20230818_124358.thumb.jpg.b32b6590ce16b818a68b6c7da0db5a01.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A very strange evening on the ship.  It was almost deserted.  Seemed like the busiest place was Tamarind.  Seems like everyone had the same idea as us and went there for dinner tonight.

The tenders are still running at midnight.

• Like 7

So,  we interupt our regular programming with good news and bad news!

First the bad news!

Yesterday Captain Eric, in his evening address, mention that there was an 'uptick in respiratory infections' and that the crew was taking extra precautions and advised pax to take extra precautions including regular handwashing.

Tonight, in a special address he said that 'Covid infections are rising........masks will be provided in your room tonight........it is recommended that you wear them in crowded locations.

In the World Stage tonight at least 50% were wearing masks.

Edited by VMax1700
sp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

So,  we interupt our regular programming with good news and bad news!

First the bad news!

Yesterday Captain Eric, in his evening address, mention that there was an 'uptick in respiratory infections' and that the crew was taking extra precautions and advised pax to take extra precautions including regular handwashing.

Tonight, in a special address he said that 'Covid infections are rising........masks will be provided in your room tonight........it is recommended that you wear them in crowded locations.

In the World Stage tonight at least 50% were wearing masks.

Yes there’s a new Covid variant which is very catching, started in Israel but been discovered in US as well & now spreading in UK

as long as fully vaccinated it’s not too bad apparently 

Edited by cruiser man 60
  • Thanks 1

The good news......

I believe that it has been mentioned on CC many times that it has been difficult, if not impossible, to swap HIA speciality restaurant reservations.  Well tonight we were due to eat in Pinnacle Grill at 6pm, but after Mass, at 5.45 DW said that she didn't feel like eating in PG.  As we were having a drink at Ocean Bar, I said that I would wander over to PG and tell them that we would not be dining there, just in case they got a walkin looking to eat.  Well, the young lady at the reception desk immediately said, "but it is part of your package, would you like to reshedule?"  "Yes" says I, "that would be nice but we are only onboard for 2 more nights".  Says she " I can offer you either of those nights but at 8.30pm".  "Too late for us" says I.  "Would you like to eat somewhere else", says she, "I can offer you Tamarind or Canelleto at any time you like".  

So I booked Canelleto.  Once again HAL proves they can do the right thing!

Happy cruiser here! (even though I will be wearing a mask!)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Yes there’s a new Covid variant which is very catching, started in Israel but been discovered in US as well & now spreading in UK

as long as fully vaccinated it’s not too bad apparently 

Yes I had a bit of a bad weekend a couple of weeks ago.  Tested positive, but only out of sorts for 2 days.  Felt like an average hangover (voice of experience!)

• Like 4

On Saturday we went ashore to South Queensferry for a couple of hours and I was happy that I did.

Just at the end of the pier is one of the best Bike Cafes in UK and outside it was a beautiful VMAX 1700 parked up.DSCN3107.thumb.JPG.1bc01884bbcd4da3affb506650f5340c.JPG

only 27 thousand miles and available to purchase!  I was tempted but not sure how I would get it onto the tender.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4