Memo from the British Isles - 14 days Almost Live from Nieuw Statendam

VMax1700

At the Captain's noon update he told us that our route had changed and instead of heading southwards along the east coast of England and through the English Channel, along the south coast and then northwards between UK and Ireland on the Irish Sea, we would be heading across the north coast of Scotland and then southward along the west coast of Scotland on the Irish Sea to Liverpool.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, whogo said:

I'm enjoying your live thread, VMax1700. Did the captain say why he changed the route to Liverpool?

He addressed it today at 'Ask the Captain'.  Basically, he said that the route shown on the pretty picture did not make a lot of sense as sailing around England clockwise to Liverpool was about one third longer than going across the 'top of Scotland' and down the Irish Sea to Liverpool.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

He addressed it today at 'Ask the Captain'.  Basically, he said that the route shown on the pretty picture did not make a lot of sense as sailing around England clockwise to Liverpool was about one third longer than going across the 'top of Scotland' and down the Irish Sea to Liverpool.

It sounds like subsequently, that your whole itinerary has been changed order wise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

It sounds like subsequently, that your whole itinerary has been changed order wise.

I don't think so.  Liverpool is the first port on the itinerary posted in the first post.  They're just going there via the north rather than the south.  

I've had route changes like that before; that Captain also said that one cannot rely too much on the pretty picture of the route.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I don't think so.  Liverpool is the first port on the itinerary posted in the first post.  They're just going there via the north rather than the south.  

I've had route changes like that before; that Captain also said that one cannot rely too much on the pretty picture of the route.

Ahh - I see that now.  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

45 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Yes, Alberta Quilter is correct.  So far there is no change to the itinerary or the order that we will visit them.  Just approaching from a different direction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just shows how Disinformation is spread.  A questioner to the Captain at 'Ask the Captain' this morming.............."Captain, I have been reading on Internet how (the City of) Rotterdam is banning cruise ships. How will this affect Holland America?" 

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Day 2 Bread Pudding,,,

20230810_132414.thumb.jpg.1f01783761a24d7c118b2d838071884c.jpg

Your dedication to the bread pudding inspires. Give the bread pudding person (team?) a shout out in the Navigator app.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

IMPORTANT INFORMATION continuation....

Note the timings!  There were complaints that pax had arranged private shore excursions to depart at 11 am etc and that they only had an Immigration Inspection at 11.30am.

The Cruise Director advised that Immigration is Immigration.  The ship had expected that the Immigration Inspection would be carried out today during the sea day, but UK Immigration had stated that they would not carry out the inspection until arrival in Liverpool.  CD said that the ship has no control over the inspection and it is entirely up to the UK Immigration authorities as to where and when the inspection is carried out.  One of the unexplained benefits of Brexit (and she (CD) is from UK!)

Although we depart Liverpool UK and sail to Dun Laoghaire (Ireland/EU) and then back to UK there will not be another inspection on re-entry because of the UK/Ireland Common Travel Area Agreement.

So if doing a similar itinerary in the future do be aware of the immigration situation for UK

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Day 4 Menus

Lido Lunch

Day3lidolunch.thumb.jpg.771f1af9be810aabcd142b03fc3d94bb.jpg

Lido Dinner

Day3LidoDinnerJPG.thumb.jpg.8c688f082d9b939b28512d564c9a2f64.jpg

MDR Dinner Culinary Council

Day3CulinaryCounciljpg.thumb.jpg.6176326cc70f9ec5c262949a51dc81ed.jpg

m4-day4-_lido_lunch_north_europe_2023 (1).pdf

m4-day4-_lido_dinner_north_europe_voyage (1).pdf

culinary_council_menu_winter_2023_en_-_v1_1_ (1).pdf

Note that although it is only Day 3 the menus are titled Day 4. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION continuation....

Note the timings!  There were complaints that pax had arranged private shore excursions to depart at 11 am etc and that they only had an Immigration Inspection at 11.30am.

The Cruise Director advised that Immigration is Immigration.  The ship had expected that the Immigration Inspection would be carried out today during the sea day, but UK Immigration had stated that they would not carry out the inspection until arrival in Liverpool.  CD said that the ship has no control over the inspection and it is entirely up to the UK Immigration authorities as to where and when the inspection is carried out.  One of the unexplained benefits of Brexit (and she (CD) is from UK!)

Although we depart Liverpool UK and sail to Dun Laoghaire (Ireland/EU) and then back to UK there will not be another inspection on re-entry because of the UK/Ireland Common Travel Area Agreement.

So if doing a similar itinerary in the future do be aware of the immigration situation for UK

Thank you for the heads up, Colin.  I had completely forgotten about Brexit and what it would mean so I have alerted my roll call with your information linked (I hope you don’t mind) as we are coming from the EU to the UK and back to the EU.

Much appreciated.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thank you for the heads up, Colin.  I had completely forgotten about Brexit and what it would mean so I have alerted my roll call with your information linked (I hope you don’t mind) as we are coming from the EU to the UK and back to the EU.

Much appreciated.

I don't know how that will work into the EU but the UK is, and always will be, the UK.  The CD implied that the inspection should have been today, but that would have entailed the Immigration Officers being onboard since Copenhagen.  Why would the UK send Immigration Officers to Denmark to board a ship for two sea days to do an inspection that can be done within UK port area?  Just does not make sense.  I looked back to last years cruise to Iceland and then Scotland.  The Immigration was supposed to take place prior to Shetland but because Shetland was missed because of weather the inspection took place the following day in Invergordon.  So again shore based Immigration officers.  If you are planning on shore ex in the UK I would be inclined to allow a bit of leeway for timings.   

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I don't know how that will work into the EU but the UK is, and always will be, the UK.  The CD implied that the inspection should have been today, but that would have entailed the Immigration Officers being onboard since Copenhagen.  Why would the UK send Immigration Officers to Denmark to board a ship for two sea days to do an inspection that can be done within UK port area?  Just does not make sense.  I looked back to last years cruise to Iceland and then Scotland.  The Immigration was supposed to take place prior to Shetland but because Shetland was missed because of weather the inspection took place the following day in Invergordon.  So again shore based Immigration officers.  If you are planning on shore ex in the UK I would be inclined to allow a bit of leeway for timings.   

Thanks a bunch.  I’m good, thanks,  but some of our roll call members have a private tour with an early morning start so I wanted to give them a heads up.  Forewarned is forearmed 😉 

Hopefully they will find out on board and can reach out to the operator if need be.

I had thought of it long ago and then Brexit slipped my mind and I forgot all about it so very grateful for your post.  Hope you and Ellen are having a fabulous time 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1