NCL Gem - Electrical outlets and USBs

marcc

Hi

Does anyone know what's available to recharge your electronics in a Gem balcony cabin? How many US or European plugs  and/or  USB connections?

My research says 1 US and 1 European and no USBs. That can't be right.

Thanks

MarcC

6 minutes ago, marcc said:

Hi

Does anyone know what's available to recharge your electronics in a Gem balcony cabin? How many US or European plugs  and/or  USB connections?

Thanks

MarcC

We were on the Gem (Club Balcony) in September 2021. I think it's two and two (two European plugs, 2 US) over on the desk. Can't remember about the USB's but I have a charger with 4 USB ports and it works on both 220 and 110 volts. My memory is that we had a plug or 2 next to each side of the bed by the nightstand, and there's another plug in the bathroom (low voltage like for shavers, but can be used for an electric toothbrush but NOT a hairdryer or cellphone/tablet charger). Hope that helps.

Edited by DCGuy64

1 hour ago, marcc said:

Hi

Thanks

MarcC

Balcony cabins on the Gem don't have a lot of outlets, and I think fewer than the Club Balcony/Minisuites. There's one near the table (since balconies don't have a proper desk), and one at the hair dryer/makeup corner seat. I also seem to remember an outlet hidden in one of the closet area cubbies, but I don't remember if it's 110 or 220. 

There are no USB-A outlets in the rooms or bedside lamps... the ship hasn't received the in-stateroom upgrades that similar ships like the Pearl have received. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcc said:

Thank you both for your replies. No USBs, that's inconvenient. I've got to look for some sort of USB charging device

For confirmation, you might try looking at some YouTube videos of the Gem. People who make those videos often point out the presence (or lack thereof) of USB ports.

1 hour ago, marcc said:

Thank you both for your replies. No USBs, that's inconvenient. I've got to look for some sort of USB charging device

From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never plug a device into a untrusted USB outlet. Not at a mall, not at an airport, not at a hotel, and not on a cruise ship. Always just use your electric charging plug. 

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

From a cybersecurity perspective, you should never plug a device into a untrusted USB outlet. Not at a mall, not at an airport, not at a hotel, and not on a cruise ship. Always just use your electric charging plug. 

Good advice.  You can also use a USB cable with no data connection, only power.  This is not your standard cable however.

7 hours ago, marcc said:

Hi

Thanks

MarcC

Probably the difference between outlet and plug. Normally two plugs per outlet, so the numbers can change depending on which term is used. Plus, people get confused. Unless they've changed recently, there should be one US 110 volt and one (2 pin) European 220 volt. There should be a US plug in the bathroom, and you may even find another plug behind the TV.

You'll always find one of these in my suitcase, along with an international adapter.  It solves the lack of outlets no matter where I'm traveling.  It's not a surge protector so you'll have no problem on the ship.

extension cord.jpg

Gem Balcony cabin. 

9 hours ago, Girr said:

You'll always find one of these in my suitcase, along with an international adapter.  It solves the lack of outlets no matter where I'm traveling.  It's not a surge protector so you'll have no problem on the ship.

That's what I'd like to find but smaller and just USB slots. I'll go  look on some online shopping sites.

Thanks everybody

Then here's an option with just USB slots, and six foot cord. It's found at that big on-line store.  I'll just say though I always find something I need to plug in and the dual one comes in very handy.

charging station.jpg

19 hours ago, marcc said:

Just to add, typically for GEM's Oceanviews & Balconies - there is a single 220V EU outlet (round 2-pins) ... it's semi-hidden on the back wall panel (near the mini-refrigerator) for Insides & Oceanviews ... or by the HDTV display in Balcony cabins, as the coffee/hot water 1-cup maker runs on 220V only.  If you cannot find it, ask your friendly room "attendant" to show you.  

Only a # of the OV cabins (OX or obstructed) received USB upgrade/addition at the bedside USB lamp, the porthole & large picture window OV did not get the upgrade during her most recent dry dock ... it's apparently considered not a worthwhile ROI, per the HD then and not a simple R&R/plug-n-use conversion.  

We carry at least one 10 ft. and one 6 ft. USB 3.0 braided extension cord to extend the standard USB 3 ft. cable, whether it's USB-A or newest USB-C ... plus a few small bulldog clips (handy for various reasons) to make it safer to run along the wallboard to reach the bed(s) or sofabed, depending on the specific cabin configuration, since they vary slightly with different NCL fleet ships.  Having a high quality 10,000+ mAH standalone battery bank (Xiaomi shown, reliable & dependable, on Amazon) with 2/plus output has made life easier for a booster charge on the go, out & about on the ship on a full sea day and ashore when gadgets begin to run low ... and not have to worry about using a reliable & dependable charging source.   Anker multi-port USB charger is the other "must" ...

Refer to picture below from the GEM ... one US outlet on each wall (2nd one can be seen, in the reflected mirror on the opposite wall)  The 220V hair dryer is connected underneath to an outlet, but I do not recommend "playing" with it.  

IMG_20170429_144005.jpg

IMG_20180429_234021.jpg

IMG_20170429_140436.jpg

This is a short 3 outlet power tap ...

PXL_20230811_013815109.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1