PAYING for Pizza in Sorrento’s

18 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Marketing people are a strange lot. They may have asked that question to gauge interest in a separate for pay pizza place with "real" pizza.  With such a high number of people not willing to pay for pizza, it might put "real pizza place" further down the list of new restaurants to add on future ships.

We really don't and probably will never know the impetus of the survey.  I do know that Royal has a consulting firm engaged looking for ways to cut costs.  There have been a lot of changes lately with various excuses but the reality and end result is a lesser quality/quantity of food and services and a diminished guest experience.  Jason Liberty said it in the last (record breaking) earnings call, they are providing too good of a product for what people are paying and intend to change that (I paraphrased a little but that was the message loud and clear). 

• Like 1

The pizza quality is the same as before but I have noticed a significant downturn in the quality of the little sandwiches in the Café Promenade.  Used to love the turkey, roast beef, salmon options. All good tasting proteins.  The last two cruises (Anthem in March, Quantum in July), the best you are going to get is tuna salad.  Lots of vegetable fillings as sandwiches. 

Mind you, it was a good tuna salad sandwich, but it pales in comparison to offerings prior to 2023.

This is a big change to me, as I like the sandwiches more than the pizza to be honest.  Hopefully it's temporary.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

The pizza quality is the same as before but I have noticed a significant downturn in the quality of the little sandwiches in the Café Promenade.  Used to love the turkey, roast beef, salmon options. All good tasting proteins.  The last two cruises (Anthem in March, Quantum in July), the best you are going to get is tuna salad.  Lots of vegetable fillings as sandwiches. 

Mind you, it was a good tuna salad sandwich, but it pales in comparison to offerings prior to 2023.

This is a big change to me, as I like the sandwiches more than the pizza to be honest.  Hopefully it's temporary.

My wife and I have missed the charcuterie presented at Windjammer Lunches. It went AWOL starting with our Spring Cruises this year. Maybe I will be lucky to find some in September (we are none summer and holiday cruisers knowing how crowded the ships get with school out of session).

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Speak for yourself. I haven't noticed much drop off.

I was just on 7 and 9 night cruises in the last two months, everyone was complaining about the quality of the food (the prime rib was so full of grizzle you couldn't even chew it), we ran out of toilet paper, soap and tissues in our cabin (I've never not had spares in the cabin in the past), our cabin steward said he only had one roll of tp on his cart and I could go on and on.  Unfortunately, many people were talking about the cuts instead of enjoining their cruises.  I'm glad the quality of the Kool Aid hasn't diminished for you.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I miss the shrimp salad ones. I think they have been gone for a long time 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I miss the shrimp salad ones. I think they have been gone for a long time 

Only salads I saw this year were egg salad and a "tuna-ish" salad. I tried a tablespoon of each.

The egg salad was not too bad but a bit watery sometimes. The tuna seamed to be mostly filler and mayonnaise. After the first two days, I stopped testing the tuna salad.  The egg salad was good on two days.

• Like 1

It is my opinion and I can't back it up with a scientific poll, based on the myriad of threads here and elsewhere, the quality of food, in general, has taken a substantial knock.  Yes, some will say that it hasn't, of course.  But, the numbers speak for themselves.  And taste is an individual thing.  But, toughness, gristle, fat, et al, aren't a matter of taste, it's a matter of quality.

And, it's not just food quality either.  But, I won't beat that dead horse, again.  

Based upon my last two, post COVID cruises, I think the food has taken a bit of a quality hit.  Some of it may have been preparation, too.  But, I don't think it's far fetched to believe it has taken a hit.

YMMV, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

They could reintroduce the Seaview Cafe that used exist on the Radiance class ships. It was much better than JR's.

That would be great! I remember Seaview cafe from my first cruise on Serenade in 20007.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

It is my opinion and I can't back it up with a scientific poll, based on the myriad of threads here and elsewhere, the quality of food, in general, has taken a substantial knock.  Yes, some will say that it hasn't, of course.  But, the numbers speak for themselves.  And taste is an individual thing.  But, toughness, gristle, fat, et al, aren't a matter of taste, it's a matter of quality.

And, it's not just food quality either.  But, I won't beat that dead horse, again.  

Based upon my last two, post COVID cruises, I think the food has taken a bit of a quality hit.  Some of it may have been preparation, too.  But, I don't think it's far fetched to believe it has taken a hit.

YMMV, of course.

I, like yourself, really try to look for the best of the cruising experience. We do not do multiple cruises for years on end unless we like it.

There has been quite a bit of "slippage" on food experience. The servers, in my recent observations, seemed to be rushed, stressed, and not enjoying their jobs.

You said, "Slippery slope."  I think it is more like Fleetwood Mac's "Til the landslide brought me down."

The start of the dish, before preparation, the root of all problems, is the quality of the original ingredients provided to the chefs. An old saying, "You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Poor initial ingredients cannot magically be transformed into fabulous final presentation.

Everything seems to be breaking in a bad direction.

I still have two cruises this year and one cruise next year. I desperately wish that this trend would be reversed. 

I became hooked on RCI in 1988 on a ten day cruise out of Miami on the Nordic Prince for our honeymoon.

Times change, I get it.

Too much change right now. I am lamenting that I cannot find a cruise on RCI for a price that I would like which compromises so many historical cruise magic moments.

As BB King would say, "The thrill is gone."

😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I, like yourself, really try to look for the best of the cruising experience. We do not do multiple cruises for years on end unless we like it.

There has been quite a bit of "slippage" on food experience. The servers, in my recent observations, seemed to be rushed, stressed, and not enjoying their jobs.

You said, "Slippery slope."  I think it is more like Fleetwood Mac's "Til the landslide brought me down."

The start of the dish, before preparation, the root of all problems, is the quality of the original ingredients provided to the chefs. An old saying, "You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Poor initial ingredients cannot magically be transformed into fabulous final presentation.

Everything seems to be breaking in a bad direction.

I still have two cruises this year and one cruise next year. I desperately wish that this trend would be reversed. 

I became hooked on RCI in 1988 on a ten day cruise out of Miami on the Nordic Prince for our honeymoon.

Times change, I get it.

Too much change right now. I am lamenting that I cannot find a cruise on RCI for a price that I would like which compromises so many historical cruise magic moments.

As BB King would say, "The thrill is gone."

😢

Amen, Brother!  We'll put.

I’m of the belief that cruise ship food quality is fair game for subjective opinions.
I’m not thinking that the quantity of food available of a cruise ship has ever been an issue. If one needs more calories for a pleasant survival, they are available. 

40 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’m of the belief that cruise ship food quality is fair game for subjective opinions.
I’m not thinking that the quantity of food available of a cruise ship has ever been an issue. If one needs more calories for a pleasant survival, they are available. 

No argument. There are always sufficient calories for the masses to survive.

I will always trade quantity for quality, even if it cost more.

My problem, the prices are going up as the quality does not keep pace.

Just my opinion which you respectfully say is very subjective. I cannot argue that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

😉

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

…Jason Liberty said it in the last (record breaking) earnings call, they are providing too good of a product for what people are paying and intend to change that (I paraphrased a little but that was the message loud and clear). 

He must have been on drugs or something to seriously believe that. Guess he wants to go the Carnival route. It’s really sad that Fain retired.

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

Jason Liberty said it in the last (record breaking) earnings call, they are providing too good of a product for what people are paying and intend to change that (I paraphrased a little but that was the message loud and clear). 

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

He must have been on drugs or something to seriously believe that. Guess he wants to go the Carnival route. It’s really sad that Fain retired.

I'd like to read the actual quote and not the paraphrased version.  That is a horrific statement that would have sent shockwaves through any investor call. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rusty_lock said:

I'd like to read the actual quote and not the paraphrased version.  That is a horrific statement that would have sent shockwaves through any investor call. 

I've looked for it.  Can't find the actual words as stated.  This is what I found and I can't say for sure that this is the statement by Liberty that has been bastardized or not:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/q2-2023-royal-caribbean-cruises-052428575.html

<Second to the last paragraph>

We will continue to excel in the core and drive business excellence in order to increase yields and capture efficiencies across our platform. Our proven formula for success remains unchanged, moderate capacity growth, moderate yield growth and strong cost control will lead to enhanced margins, profitability and superior financial performance.

Just now, Ret MP said:

I've looked for it.  Can't find the actual words as stated.  This is what I found and I can't say for sure that this is the statement by Liberty that has been bastardized or not:

We will continue to excel in the core and drive business excellence in order to increase yields and capture efficiencies across our platform. Our proven formula for success remains unchanged, moderate capacity growth, moderate yield growth and strong cost control will lead to enhanced margins, profitability and superior financial performance.

If that is being interpreted as we’re giving too much for too little than that really isn’t fair. That’s a bit of a stretch I would say.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This was an article that I found to be foreshadowing last year:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-ship-travel-value-now/

"We've seen this 40% gap to land-based vacation [this year]. It used to be about 20%," Royal Caribbean Group CEO Jason Liberty lamented Thursday in a conference call with Wall Street analysts. "We're not happy about that gap."

RCI appears to be vigorously pursuing an aggressive price increase strategy to close the gap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rusty_lock said:

If that is being interpreted as we’re giving too much for too little than that really isn’t fair. That’s a bit of a stretch I would say.

I have no idea if that is how it is interpreted or not.  The quote is from 2Q 2023, I believe the most recent "Earnings Call".  I think some could interpret it that way because there is no mention of Customer Satisfaction, just "margin", "earnings", "yields", "efficiencies", and "cost control".  Just my guess, not stating it as fact and the source of the interpretation, just a possibility.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, PlanetX said:

I'm surprised /doubtful about 20% of cruisers saying they'd be willing to pay for a simple, inexpensive product that has traditionally been free.  

As for "Those of us who do 20+ cruises a year need variety", that's a lie.  If you take the same vacation 20 times a year, you do not crave variety.  

On 8/17/2023 at 2:45 PM, TwoMisfits said:

If you lose the food battle on a cruise, you're gonna lose the war for customers, no matter how much entertainment you bring on board, especially for families with kids.

Agree.  Food is an integral part of our lives, of any vacation, and ESPECIALLY a cruise vacation.  This is not the place to cut.  

On 8/17/2023 at 4:09 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Honestly, they should consider changing Johnny Rocket's to a free location with only a cover for milkshakes/beverages.  If the board's experience is to be believed, it tends to be a ghost town after breakfast ...

Several thoughts: 

- I would go for the concept of free meal /pay for drinks, especially milkshakes. 

- In my limited experience, yes, JR's is a ghost town.  Hamburgers fly off the grill at Windjammer, and most people aren't interested in paying for the same thing that's free in another location.  

- I still don't believe Royal's reason for making JR's a for-cost location:  They said teenagers were taking over the place /hogging the space, and a cover charge would keep them out.  Never believed it.  

On 8/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, NateUpNorth said:

Michael Bayley has confirmed no pizza charge........... however..... RCL DOES charge for popcorn near the Aquatheatre on the Oasis class... 

I think the popcorn is also about the mess.  If you give popcorn away, people won't be careful with it ... and then if the staff can't get it cleaned up quickly enough, you'll have a problem with sea birds swooping in to eat it.  

11 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

The pizza quality is the same as before but I have noticed a significant downturn in the quality of the little sandwiches in the Café Promenade.  Used to love the turkey, roast beef, salmon options. All good tasting proteins.  ... Mind you, it was a good tuna salad sandwich, but it pales in comparison to offerings prior to 2023.

We'll be cruising again soon -- we much prefer to cruise in the fall -- and I am concerned about loss of these little sandwiches.  We've really enjoyed them in the past.  

I had a tuna sandwich on our last cruise, and it's the only Cafe Promenade sandwich I've ever disliked.  As you say, I like a good tuna sandwich, but this one was "off" somehow.  Not that the tuna was bad as in spoiled; I just didn't like the way their tuna salad was made.  

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

No argument. There are always sufficient calories for the masses to survive.

I will always trade quantity for quality, even if it cost more.

My problem, the prices are going up as the quality does not keep pace.

First comment:  I don't think any of us are concerned about getting enough food to survive; rather, we want to ENJOY our vacation meals.  

Second comment:  Sometimes I'll trade quantity for quality.  Other times I won't.  Depends upon the situation. 

Third comment:  Definitely yes!  Cruise prices are up, and I am questioning whether the quality is worth it.  Not saying, "No more for me!"  But I only have two cruises booked at the moment, and we're thinking about Yellowstone and a train trip through Canada.  

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yeah, that was poorly state; a CEO should be more eloquent. 

I really hope he didn't mean it like it sounded.  

• Like 3

Just a short comment about JRs.  I like JRs.  Not because of any one item on the menu.  I like the e whole experience.  The 50s vibe, the limited entertainment, the fries (Chili Cheese Fries, for me), the milkshakes (malt), and a few other things I can't think of right now.  Sure, you can get a hamburger in WJs and they may be very good.  I've found them to be, off of the steam table, dry and maybe warm, and buns dry/hard.  JR's are hot and juicy off the grill, USUALLY, and THEY put on most of the condiments I want, and I don't have to wait in line to get the condiments I want.  And the only JRs that I've been to that was a Ghost Town was on Independence.  But, the place is/was nasty.  We only got a milkshake and ran out of the place.  I really enjoy JRs on the Oasis Class ships.  

But, as stated over and over again, food is subjective.  I like what I like and you are welcome to like what you like. 

But then, I like, a lot, Krystal Burger.

Oh, jeez.  Just boarded Radiance.  NO SORENTOS.  Pizza in buffet is atrocious.  I mean just terrible.  Balcony stateroom smells like poop, and there is no hot water.  The ship has seen better days.