Internet Packages

mrell345

Hey everyone.  So we are going to try to get back to cruising after our last one was Summer 2019 before the roller coaster started.

From what I can see Platinum members no longer get a free internet package on board but get a 50% discount now on the new MedalionNet system ?

What are the prices for the new system ?  Is it per day or do you have an option for the entire cruise ?  Unlimited throughput ?  Is the system slower at certain times of day like it used to be on some cruises.

Edited by mrell345

@Steelers36 is the expert here but basically:

- $7.50 usd / A$10.88 for 1 device per day for balance of cruise,  not sure what price is for just 1 day. Of course if you've got a bunch of sea days at first and don't need / want it there i always found it to be $7.50 / A$10.88 'til end of cruise.' (As recent as June 17, 2023 but everything changes)

- And yes it is unlimited as the new system doesn't track minutes or data.

- Reception was really bad Mid-Atlantic in September but the ship dn have  Starlink yet

Edited by Ombud

In April I was on 3 cruises b-b-b (7-4-4). On the first cruise it gave me the choice of the price, with 50% discount, for all 15 days or $10 a day. I had OBC on all 3 cruises and had planned on using some of it on each cruise to pay for the internet. The internet manager said he couldn’t change it from the 15 days, so I bought it daily.

The April cruises were Mexico and California Coast. The internet was fine. Last September I was in Alaska and it was terrible. Really slow or no connection lots of times.

3 hours ago, cruise sojourner said:

In April I was on 3 cruises b-b-b (7-4-4). On the first cruise it gave me the choice of the price, with 50% discount, for all 15 days or $10 a day. I had OBC on all 3 cruises and had planned on using some of it on each cruise to pay for the internet. The internet manager said he couldn’t change it from the 15 days, so I bought it daily.

The April cruises were Mexico and California Coast. The internet was fine. Last September I was in Alaska and it was terrible. Really slow or no connection lots of times.

Internet service has always been horrid or non-existent on cruises in Alaska. Last September was pre-Starlink. Recent reports state much better access pretty much across the board. I am "hopeful" for our upcoming cruises in Oz.

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

If you like your cocktails you should look at Princess Plus fares which include gratuities, unlimited internet, 15 alcoholic drinks a day plus coffee soft drinks plus other stuff

Well aware of the Plus fare. Have 3 cruises booked (14 days, 4 days, and 14 days) with the Plus fare. The first with Plus 50 and the last two with Plus 60. However, added an additional 31 days on the front end and booked with the Standard fare so will buy Internet access for the first - 24 day - segment. Will use my Elite discount and get Internet for one person and one device. Will see if making a hotspot for my wife works. If so, we are golden. If not, she can share my account when needed. One can survive 31 days without Internet access if needed. With a total of 63 days at sea this may well be the first time I take a laptop on a cruise.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Internet service has always been horrid or non-existent on cruises in Alaska. Last September was pre-Starlink. Recent reports state much better access pretty much across the board. I am "hopeful" for our upcoming cruises in Oz.

starlink is still very much hit and miss in alaska based on may 2023 cruise on konigsdam which honestly wasn't much better than my may 2022 cruise to alaska on konigsdam on exact same itinarery but pre-starlink