Do you use your luxury travel TA to book non luxury cruises?

vegasdriven

Thinking about doing a cruise with friends on Cunard, as it is their preferred brand, and we are ballroom dancers, so that would be a bonus.

I’m just not sure whether to book it myself, or ask my current ta to do so.

It would not be an issue for me to do myself, but on the other hand if she would like to have the extra business then I would be happy to book through her. However if it would just mean extra work for her then I am happy to do myself.

What do you do? Or, any general thoughts?

Our TA has sufficient Staff to arrange bookings on the mega ships which are not all-inclusive.  We have done this when traveling with extended family on shorter cruises.  Recent example: 7-days on "Discovery", newest Princess ship which sailed with about 3,500 of our newest "friends" to Alaska.  That segment began and ended in Seattle. Thus, minimal travel issues. Spouse and I were along for the ride to provide babysitting duties for our youngest grandchild. Contributed to our daughter and her husband having a more pleasant vacation.  

Our TA rep. did a great job in getting us a "Club Class" booking with other upgrades and 'perks that would not have been available at "0" cost to us had we booked this on our own--or used our daughter's TA. So, each of us was "loyal" to a TA used in the past.     

So, it pays you to ask.  

GOARMY!

12 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

However if it would just mean extra work for her then I am happy to do myself.

What do you do? Or, any general thoughts?

It's not "extra work," it's your TA's JOB to book cruises and travel arrangements.  She's paid by commission and the more she books the more commission she receives.  I'm sure your TA would be way more than happy to do the work for you. In fact I'm sure she'd WANT you to use her, it increases her income. 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

Thank you all. I can overthink things, and it’s nice to get straight answers here.

Someone once posted on here that it wasn’t worth a ta’s time to book things like hotels, so I guess that got me wondering just what kind of business was appropriate.

I did, however, ask her to book rooms for us in Tahiti before and after our cruise coming Jan., as I was having some issues doing it myself, and she came through for us with some extra perks.

6 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Thank you all. I can overthink things, and it’s nice to get straight answers here.

Someone once posted on here that it wasn’t worth a ta’s time to book things like hotels, so I guess that got me wondering just what kind of business was appropriate.

I did, however, ask her to book rooms for us in Tahiti before and after our cruise coming Jan., as I was having some issues doing it myself, and she came through for us with some extra perks.

It is up to the TA what they book or don't book. Hotels, rental cars, etc. aren't worth the commission unless you choose to do it because your value the relationship with your client. About 3% of my income comes from being a TA but I only book for a handful of clients who have very unique needs and wants....so I book anything they want as my relationship with them is not TA based but more encompassing. So the short answer is.....I am certain your TA would be very happy to make this booking for you.

• Like 1

vegas--

FWIIW:

As usual, Pcardad has cut-to-the-chase with a common-sense perspective based on experience.  I have benefitted by following his advice on many matters hashed, and rehashed, and over-hashed on Cruise Critic over the years. 

Pcardad:  You can buy me a drink next time we share a Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn cruise. 

GOARMY!

43 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

vegas--

FWIIW:

As usual, Pcardad has cut-to-the-chase with a common-sense perspective based on experience.  I have benefitted by following his advice on many matters hashed, and rehashed, and over-hashed on Cruise Critic over the years. 

Pcardad:  You can buy me a drink next time we share a Regent, Silversea, or Seabourn cruise. 

GOARMY!

It would be an honor, Sir.

21 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Just to add.... Regent cruises are not cheap.  Therefore one would expect that the commission for booking a Regent cruise versus a mainstream cruise line is significantly higher and it likely isn't any more work (based on my communications with cruise lines, Regent is probably LESS work).  We have used the same TA for over 13 years... lots of cruises.  We have "graduated" from "lowly" inside cabins on Royal Caribbean to Regent.  We have booked, through our same TA, 84 nights on Regent so far and have around 134 days booked through 2025. If my TA wouldn't be willing to book a rental car or hotel for me because it's "too much work," I'd be looking for someone else.  I don't know the commission for cruises, but I bet that over 200 days on Regent makes for a pretty significant income.

Oh yeah.... I have also recommended my TA to my friends and grown kids.  She has picked up significant bookings over the years thanks to me and my recommendations.   😎

Edited by papaflamingo

I use our TA for almost all activities associated with a cruise, pre and post hotels and transfers if especially if I am not familiar with the port cities. Many times the reservations we get are more expensive than if I had booked them myself, but they are also just GREAT experiences that I would never have gotten to on myself.

I book flights, hotels etc on land trips for us.  

• Like 1