Discovery Princess beds - firm? high?

fluffyclouds

Have you been on the Discovery and if so, how are the beds? I have a significant (issue it’s pretty much impossible) getting out of a bed or chair that is low to the ground. Are the beds hard, firm, or soft and cushy, cloud-like? I saw on another thread that it may be possible to request a board from the steward that will actually make the bed harder and higher. I have not heard this before and wonder if it is true. Anyone have information or thoughts? Thank you very much for any and all information. 

34 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I was in a mini suite on the inaugural cruise and the bed was like concrete.  Maybe they've been "broken in" by now.

Wow.  This is the first time I have seen someone describe the new Princess Bed as like concrete.  With the old mattresses I read that word sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Wow.  This is the first time I have seen someone describe the new Princess Bed as like concrete.  With the old mattresses I read that word sometimes. 

A lot of people on that cruise reported the same thing.  Some were able to get mattress toppers, others reported being in pain even after the cruise.  I prefer a firm mattress, but this was rock hard.  Very disappointing as I was so looking forward to a good nights sleep on the new Princess mattress.

• Thanks 1

We were on the same cruise as LACruiser88, also in a mini.  The DW and I both thought the beds were comfortably firm.  We always got a good nights sleep.  

The bed height was also reasonable, neither too high nor too low.  I also heard that you can request a mattress topper if you think it might help to be more comfortable.

You folks are so awesome, so helpful!  I’m hoping the beds are firm because of my difficulties getting out of a low chair or bed (dislocated kneecap). Will play it by ear and keep my fingers crossed keeping in mind there is always the sofa in our room or bundling a topper or towels to raise the height. I have requested a bed rail via the app. This request shows on the app, but not on our trip summary on the web account. Hope there is not a problem.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

To answer the OPs question about height...the beds are definitely lower than the standard bed in homes.

We've  never had a bed "as hard as a rock"!

You're lucky you weren't on the inaugural cruise, sounds like they've been broken in now.

• Like 1