Live from the Ruby Princess August 15-25

Cruise Raider

50 minutes ago, Petersonfcu said:

I am not sure what this means.  A refund?  For what exactly (if you know)?  Thanks for the info.

A refund of the port charges for Juneau as we did not go to Juneau due to the medical diversion.

• Like 1

@Cruise Raider  question...so you paid for just one of you to sign on to the ON but when you order the food are you ordering for just one of you or both of you?  

Also if able are you able to ask anyone about the suite benefit of ordering MDR to their room...I was told this was only done via phone...does that mean we will be charged the $5 fee?

On 8/18/2023 at 11:40 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I’m afraid we will miss you again!  
we will be on the Royal up north by then.  
We will meet in person one day!  🤞 

And Julie and I will miss you. We are on the Majestic the end of September on a 10 day to Alaska. I keep meaning to edit my video of the christening on the Discovery with the Champagne bottle, etc. I will share with you guys when I get around to it. 

4 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

@Cruise Raider  question...so you paid for just one of you to sign on to the ON but when you order the food are you ordering for just one of you or both of you?  

Also if able are you able to ask anyone about the suite benefit of ordering MDR to their room...I was told this was only done via phone...does that mean we will be charged the $5 fee?

Sorry I do not have an answer for you about the suites but if I find out, I will respond on this thread,   

I’ve signed onto the OceanNow feature on the app and have ordered food and only incurred the one charge of $14.99 regardless of how much food I have ordered.  My DH is also in the cabin but he avoids the app like the plague so he hasn’t been charges the activation fee for OceanNow.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Sorry I do not have an answer for you about the suites but if I find out, I will respond on this thread,   

I’ve signed onto the OceanNow feature on the app and have ordered food and only incurred the one charge of $14.99 regardless of how much food I have ordered.  My DH is also in the cabin but he avoids the app like the plague so he hasn’t been charges the activation fee for OceanNow.  

Thank you for the suite info.  

That is good as we were thinking of doing the same..only activating one ON feature and ordering our food or drinks for the both of us through the app.  This year and next are cooler cruises so it would be teas and hot chocolates for the drinks if we were cozied up somewhere and didn't want to get up..haha.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

Thank you for the suite info.  

That is good as we were thinking of doing the same..only activating one ON feature and ordering our food or drinks for the both of us through the app.  This year and next are cooler cruises so it would be teas and hot chocolates for the drinks if we were cozied up somewhere and didn't want to get up..haha.  

That’s what we are doing, as well. Only 1 activation, and just one of us will order on the App for the ship or delivery to the room. 

In a suite, you’ll make good use of it for dinners or meals and enjoying the room and balcony!  

Edited by PacnGoNow

53 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s what we are doing, as well. Only 1 activation, and just one of us will order on the App for the ship or delivery to the room. 

In a suite, you’ll make good use of it for dinners or meals and enjoying the room and balcony!  

So can you order the MDR food for the suite off the app?  That would be great..I had heard it was only by calling in?

Wait nevermind I think I read your post wrong..you were most likely talking about just ordering normal room service and other food/drinks...

Edited by cruzrbachoua

19 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

So can you order the MDR food for the suite off the app?  That would be great..I had heard it was only by calling in?

Wait nevermind I think I read your post wrong..you were most likely talking about just ordering normal room service and other food/drinks...

Yes. And I don’t know if they are allowing it off the App now, with the new changes?  Good question.

You should start a thread for suites and the new changes with RS and ON

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes. And I don’t know if they are allowing it off the App now, with the new changes?  Good question.

You should start a thread for suites and the new changes with RS and ON

I was thinking about it...but didn't want it to become the p*ss*ng thread the others were...once on board and I can confirm what happens I will for sure post one about our experience.  We have the plus but bought I believe before the december price increase so who knows what will really happen once on board as the app states we have all the new goodies.. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, schnapperin said:

Any favorite places food & drink wise on the Ruby for you? 

We haven’t gone to the MDR for dinner as of yet and may not end up going.  We have gone up to the PES (Platinum, Elite, Suite) event for happy hour and they have had some great nibbles up there in place of dinner.  
There is a nightly buffet in both the Horizon Court and the Caribe Cafe that have been really good.  The Caribe Cafe is just aft of the Horizon Court and has a more ethnically themed menu, for example, one night we saw all Bavarian food and one night, it was Indian food.  Be sure to check out both buffets.  

As noted, the room service menu seems to be more limited than just a couple of weeks ago.  It does still have some great options, though.  
The International Cafe is one of my DH’s favorites for lunch.  I like it more for breakfast for some lower carb options, though.  

I’m not really impressed with the wine options onboard although, have been able to snag a bottle of decent Chardonnay at a 25% discount.  
Vines, Crooners and Good Spirits are all great bars due to their great staff!  Skywalkers in the evenings also has such wonderful staff and some fabulous views!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I was thinking about it...but didn't want it to become the p*ss*ng thread the others were...once on board and I can confirm what happens I will for sure post one about our experience.  We have the plus but bought I believe before the december price increase so who knows what will really happen once on board as the app states we have all the new goodies.. 

That is exactly how I feel about many of these threads … just a few very vocal complainers posting several times respecting the same complaint.  
If we see one of the guest service staff today, I will ask them about the suites and room service charges.  
I was on the Emerald last month and during the meet and greet, several officers showed up and allowed us to ask questions.  They were toying with the idea of adding a concierge for the Grand Class ships.  Seeing we so rarely book a full suite cabin, I am unsure if that ever happened.  But, again .. maybe I can find out the answer to that.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, schnapperin said:

Thank you so much! 

my cabin category is on the same deck as IC so I‘m looking forward to this for breakfast. 

Any chance you could take some picture of the current menu & food on display of IC

We just happen to be sitting right here 

Below are the breakfast offerings today.  
There were some delicious egg and veggie burritos the other morning.  The egg muffins are quite good as is the toast selections with toppings, the smoked salmon, the avocado and egg, roasted veggie.  (PS .. I see the egg burritos in the case with the danishes)
I will try to remember to take photos the lunch/dinner offerings.  I seem to be in my happy zone so may forget … but I promise I will try.  

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

That is exactly how I feel about many of these threads … just a few very vocal complainers posting several times respecting the same complaint.  
If we see one of the guest service staff today, I will ask them about the suites and room service charges.  
I was on the Emerald last month and during the meet and greet, several officers showed up and allowed us to ask questions.  They were toying with the idea of adding a concierge for the Grand Class ships.  Seeing we so rarely book a full suite cabin, I am unsure if that ever happened.  But, again .. maybe I can find out the answer to that.  

Thank you soo much for your help..and taking time out of your cruise to help. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We have gone up to the PES (Platinum, Elite, Suite) event for happy hour and they have had some great nibbles up there in place of dinner.  

First off, thanks for doing this report.   My wife and I are on the Ruby out of SF on Sept 4th.   Is the PES event in Skywalkers?  If not, where do they hold it?   Is it every afternoon?  This cruise is for our 40th anniversary so we splurged on a suite and want to take advantage of all the extra goodies.

54 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We just happen to be sitting right here 

Below are the breakfast offerings today.  
There were some delicious egg and veggie burritos the other morning.  The egg muffins are quite good as is the toast selections with toppings, the smoked salmon, the avocado and egg, roasted veggie.  (PS .. I see the egg burritos in the case with the danishes)
I will try to remember to take photos the lunch/dinner offerings.  I seem to be in my happy zone so may forget … but I promise I will try.  

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

Well hellsbreath, now I'm starving for the lovely International Cafe, and I have (checking app) 75 days until sailaway (68 until we leave 🥂)

• Haha 2

Wow .. today is so busy downstairs in the piazza.  I happened to have looked over and a table opened up in front of my eyes .. I couldn’t believe my good fortune!  so, we happened to get a nice little snack for breakfast and a nice seat near the center of the piazza for the activities.  They are having a towel folding demo in a bit so we are going to hang here to watch that.  We may never get another seat if we give it up now.  

Last night was a tribute ‘concert’ of CCR and The Eagles by Jumari.  Wow, it was so awesome!  We had such a great time and didn’t find out about this amazingly talented artist until just yesterday.  If you’re lucky enough to cruise with him, find him early rather than what we did .. way too late in the cruise.  

Also, the cruise director and staff are so good.  The CD, Cole and Asst. CD, Josie are such a great team .. they mesh so well with one another.  Another one of the activities staff, Javi, is so funny and energetic.  He’s the perfect choice for running the games.  His sound effects will have you rolling on the floor.  plus, you have to watch the ‘What the Puck’ tile hockey game.  And the ‘IceHole’ challenge is hilarious.  

It’s formal night and the captain’s party tonight .. can’t decide if we’re going or not.  If so, it will be early and we will eat very light as we have plans to meet up with some friends at the GastroPub later tonight, where will also go just to eat very light.  We will take our a bottle of the Chardonnay we bought to share with them.  

• Thanks 1