100% Single Supplement or Phantom 2nd Passenger?

Cruisegoer

If you were cruising alone, and it's cheaper to book a Phantom 2nd Passenger who was a no-show the day of the cruise vs booking a single supplement cabin? My understanding is that with no shows the cruise line customarily refunds the port charges and dependent on what TA you might book thru, a double occupancy cabin on discount can be cheaper than a single 100% supplement booking.

What are your thoughts?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

What are your thoughts?

Lately I've found that several cruise lines will have "no availability" when I try to book Solo. But when I put in 2 passengers, suddenly there are cabins available.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shortyjoesmith said:

I think going the phantom second passenger may goof the online check-in. I'm pretty sure we had one in our group that couldn't proceed with the check-in because it was set to check two people in, our friend and a TBD. 

Yes. that is correct.  I've done it both ways, they both work fine, but find doing the solo easier overall.

if you think you might add someone later then do the TBD.

19 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

Lately I've found that several cruise lines will have "no availability" when I try to book Solo. But when I put in 2 passengers, suddenly there are cabins available.

Very true.  This happened to me when trying to add either a pre or post cruise to existing reservations.  

28 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is no difference on Carnival in cabins for 1 or 2 people.  

Please read again.  I get free offers. When I book a room, then change to one person, it goes away.  SNAP.  That room isn't available.  Please don't tell me it doesn't happen on carnival