Flying fish and the green flash at sunset!!

mcroadman

On 8/20/2023 at 8:01 PM, mahdnc said:

Anyone on a cruise ever see a pair of European Swallows carrying a coconut in mid-flight?

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

No, but I understand that African swallows do it often.

The AI generated answer from Microsoft Bing. . . .

According to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, the average adult swallow weighs 100g (.22lbs), and the average coconut around 5 or even 10kgs (11-22 lbs), which is more than 50 times the weight of the poor little bird. Birds have to be light to fly, so a coconut would render it firmly rooted to the ground1

So it seems that a swallow cannot carry a coconut while flying. However, Monty Python and the Holy Grail suggests that two swallows could carry a coconut between them on a strand of creepe

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:46 AM, mcroadman said:

And of course, along those lines,😄

have you seen the green flash at sunset while on the ship? I must admit I haven’t looked for it too many times, but saw it once, and was amazed. The optical illusion that occurs as the sun sets into the ocean and there is a half a second of a green flash.

The problem with watching it from a ship is that the ship so loud that it drowns out the sizzle as the sun hits the water, so you can't hear it.😉

11 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

I’ve seen flying fish, whales, and dolphins, but I’ve never seen the Green Flash. 

Watch the horizon as the sun is at the water level and don’t blink.  It happens quickly and the first time you are wondering if you actually did see it flash green for a millisecond.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, mcroadman said:

Thanks, everyone for sharing your experiences, information, and ideas. 

Mike, the Jamaican man knew it was coming! Interesting!

I hope I see the green flash and many flying fish!

Warmly,

Mary

He sure did. This was at Sandals Negril, so they probably see it more often and can sense it better.

The first time I saw the Northern Lights, I was on a fishing trip with a friend, we were driving from Iowa to the UP of Michigan. On I-35 in Minnesota we both saw them at the lights at the same time. I pulled way off the highway and we just laid on the hood of my truck and were in awe. They just kept going and going, but sadly it was late and we had to get back on the road.