Is 9:15 am flight too early flying out of Southampton Airport?

Grumpella

Our ship (Star) would arrive at 5 am for debarkation. We would walk off with our own bags.  I would think we could get off by 7 am.

Is this flight too early?  There are no other flights to our destination that day from Southampton Airport.  The ship is the only cruise ship in port that day.

Thank you in advance for the help.

16 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

Our ship (Star) would arrive at 5 am for debarkation. We would walk off with our own bags.  I would think we could get off by 7 am.

Is this flight too early?  There are no other flights to our destination that day from Southampton Airport.  The ship is the only cruise ship in port that day.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Where are you flying to?  Definitely not if you're flying international.  Remember, just because the ship is scheduled to arrive at a certain time, doesn't mean that it will.  Once the ship arrives, it must be cleared, disembarkation processes must be implemented, and you hope weather won't be a factor.

I wouldn't plan on flying out any time before noon.

29 minutes ago, ppcox said:

Why not fly from Gatwick or Heathrow?

I'm not the one taking this flight but my guess is that the person doing it is flying domestic or at least a short flight. If I had the option of flying from Southampton instead of first having to go to Heathrow or Gatwick I would absolutely do it! 

Edited by Asawi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ppcox said:

Why not fly from Gatwick or Heathrow?

Because Gatwick or Heathrow are a lot further away and a lot busier. If they can get where they want from Southampton then they will save a few hours, a lot of money on transfers, and have a much more relaxing experience.

If you can get to where you want from Southampton then why would you fly from Gatwick or Heathrow? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Asawi said:

I'm not the one taking this flight but my guess is that the person doing it is flying domestic or at least a short flight. If I had the option of flying from Southampton instead of first having to go to Heathrow or Gatwick I would absolutely do it! 

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Because Gatwick or Heathrow are a lot further away and a lot busier. If they can get where they want from Southampton then they will save a few hours, a lot of money on transfers, and have a much more relaxing experience.

If you can get to where you want from Southampton then why would you fly from Gatwick or Heathrow? 

True. One year we were up in Scotland for a week visiting relatives and we flew from Glasgow to Southampton to board a ship. It's a very small airport and we flew down on a very small plane. Perfect, we were out of airport within 5 mins with our luggage.

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Of course if they can get where they want to go at price they are prepared to pay from Southampton why would you go from anywhere else.Without knowing where they are going it’s difficult to be so definite. Southampton is very small with a limited number of flights. Whereas there are easy links to Gatwick with much more choices of times which was the initial question. 

50 minutes ago, ppcox said:

Of course if they can get where they want to go at price they are prepared to pay from Southampton why would you go from anywhere else.Without knowing where they are going it’s difficult to be so definite. Southampton is very small with a limited number of flights. Whereas there are easy links to Gatwick with much more choices of times which was the initial question. 

I would assume that as they asked whether they could get to the airport for a specific flight then there is a fair chance that they know they can get where they want from there. It would be odd for someone to ask whether they could get to an airport in time for a fight that they don’t want. 🙂

22 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I would assume that as they asked whether they could get to the airport for a specific flight then there is a fair chance that they know they can get where they want from there. It would be odd for someone to ask whether they could get to an airport in time for a fight that they don’t want. 

Edited by ppcox

I have self disembarked several times at 7:15am and it is very quiet once off the ship, most still having breakfast onboard

From memory few taxis are waiting around the port at that time so best to book in advance.

it is a small airport so won’t take long to reach check in desks, all being well you will be in the departure lounge by 8am.

if you are arriving on 23 September, there are 3 other ships also arriving that day so will definitely be busy later on in the morning, but as it is a Saturday you won’t have the commuter traffic to contend with.