Has a natural disaster ever made you want to visit the place , maybe I am insane.

dolittle

The insane part is my interest in natural phenomenon mostly lighting ,wind and floods not fires. I also like when the water gets rough on a cruise(so does my wife) but want everyone to stay safe. My flood ''thing'' started when I was in high school and got caught up in hurricane Agnes (1973) which was at the time the worst of all time . 

5 hours ago, dolittle said:

The insane part is my interest in natural phenomenon mostly lighting ,wind and floods not fires. I also like when the water gets rough on a cruise(so does my wife) but want everyone to stay safe. My flood ''thing'' started when I was in high school and got caught up in hurricane Agnes (1973) which was at the time the worst of all time . 

Oh such memories of high seas!  I love the water; we were in the North Sea heading for England in a cabin on the 8th deck forward, probably 25 years ago.  I had my bed pushed up to the open sliding door so I could sleep listening to the waves.  I woke up in daylight and my pillow was wet.  Took me a few moments to realize that the spray was rising up PAST our balcony from 35' waves.  I was delighted; everyone else was seasick or terrified.  The leader of a group told my husband that they were down in the lower levels with blowtorches patching up the cracks to keep the water out.  The sea was so rough that we couldn't even navigate into Dover, and that's a well-protected harbor.  We were about 12 hours late into port and the poor ship had to cancel the next cruise and head into drydock.  It was an experience I'll never forget.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:40 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I’m currently on a cruise that departed from Reykjavik, Iceland. As many know, Iceland has frequent volcanic eruptions including one that was erupting about 4-6 weeks ago. I ran into someone on the cruise who took a tour that went to the site of this eruption. While it wouldn’t interest me, I don’t see anything macabre in it.

I think seeing an active volcano is a lot different than turning someone else's tragedy into a tourist attraction.   The negative reactions here are likely jumping to an incorrect conclusion that a poster might enjoy visiting incredible devastation and loss of like while the embers are still smoking.  

(I don't normally highlight parts of my comment, but wanted to emphasize I, along with others I think, feel the OP's comment was misunderstood)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think seeing an active volcano is a lot different than turning someone else's tragedy into a tourist attraction.   The negative reactions here are likely jumping to an incorrect conclusion that a poster might enjoy visiting incredible devastation and loss of like while the embers are still smoking.  

(I don't normally highlight parts of my comment, but wanted to emphasize I, along with others I think, feel the OP's comment was misunderstood)

People are just too quick to criticize others; it's a phenomenon of internet forums.  People with no lives like to be critical about posts and responses for some need of their own.  Really, it's merely a violation of what your mother taught you (or didn't) ... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all 'rule'.

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

People are just too quick to criticize others; it's a phenomenon of internet forums.  People with no lives like to be critical about posts and responses for some need of their own.  Really, it's merely a violation of what your mother taught you (or didn't) ... if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all 'rule'.

I wonder if criticizing those who criticize is also a violation of the "be nice" rule.  😀

I have no problem with people agreeing or disagreeing over any topic.  I try to bite my tongue when someone feels the need to judge a question or topic as somehow not worthy.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jsn55 said:

People with a vicarious desire to see sites of great devastation deserve to be called out. When you do backpedaling usually follows. 

On 8/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, ldubs said:

the issue is that the current Maui situation killed many people and ruined many others. We were ‘lucky’ enough to be in hilo during a significant eruption. It scared the crud out of us at the time, but it will be something we remember the rest of our lives. But the eruption occurred in volcano National park; no deaths or damage as far as I am aware.

don’t get me wrong. I love sitting on my porch or with a window open listening to a major storm. But the entertainment factor should be off when we are talking about people dying

in my job I’ve seen enough death and devastation. There’s no interest there for me.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 7:14 AM, dolittle said:

I remember Agnes in  June 1973    Northeastern Pennsylvania got terrible flooding. I lived next door in Jersey.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:27 PM, dolittle said:

Thinking about it disaster has always been a part of travel think Pompeii . One area I would like to see is Mount Saint Helen's the aftermath of a volcano going off in the early 80s.  What do you think and what places would like to see.

Since you brought up volcanoes, one of the most interesting SHOREX tours we ever took was a helicoptor fly-over from Antigua to Montserrat, back in '04. Could still feel the heat radiating off the volcano, as we flew past it. The whole island had a surreal 'moonscape' quality to it, at the time.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:51 AM, sydney dog said:

As someone who has suffered through a natural disaster (Sandy).  I wouldn't have a problem with tourists visiting after the area hit was recovered.  I was happy to see people visiting the shore towns after recovery and help get the local businesses up and running.  However, I wouldn't want people just coming in to the area to "see" the destruction, that would just anger me.  That said I am cruising out of NOLA in 2 months, but that happened in 2005...so in that case I think it is acceptable.  IMHO

Hey @sydney dog if you have an opportunity to go to the 9th Ward while you're in NOLA, you'll likely still see an area not fully recovered even 18 years later. It's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. 

Seeing to learn why and how to do better is far different than going simply "to see." IMO

15 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey @sydney dog if you have an opportunity to go to the 9th Ward while you're in NOLA, you'll likely still see an area not fully recovered even 18 years later. It's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. 

Seeing to learn why and how to do better is far different than going simply "to see." IMO

I completely understand this however it appeared the OP just wanted to go to Maui because of recent disaster and to "see" it  Ever since the devastation of NOLA I wanted to go not to see it but to eventually bring some money to the area and support local businesses.  I know it may be a little late for that aspect but I feel good about doing it.  I am aware of the people living in the 9th ward and have donated throughout the years to try to help out where I can.  This time since I'm flying Southwest and am allowed 2 bags per person I will be bringing down supplies for small animal rescues in the area. Maybe not helping the 9th ward but helping where I can.  In my opinion Maui...too soon.

• Like 2