For all questions regarding Explora

frogfish12

I hope it's ok to start a new thread to ask general questions, already looked at all the threads and I don't know where to put mine.

Seriously considering a cruise, from the photos the ship is the nicest I've seen but have the following concerns:

1. It seems the January cruises are still quite empty, if they intend to fill it with TA/unpaid guests then no way will I book. Do you think they are going to do that most sailings? Worse I'm worried Explora may drop/change ports prior to the cruise or even cancel the sailing because of low numbers. Also concerning is the lack of reviews besides the "paid" ones. Finally being the same company as MSC gives me no confidence in their ability to handle situations

2. Can someone please summarize and review all the dining options? I read the threads but still confused, to my understanding there is Sakura and Marble, that can be booked only once each (also hard to book)

If I don't make a single reservation (because on vacation and don't want to plan ahead), what are my options for lunch and dinner? which restaurants can I walk in with no wait? someone mentioned 30 mins in line that's not good! Is buffet open all 3 meals and is it crowded? 

Thank you

We will be on board 8/24 and will give full report. 
We are not TAs or “influencers”. Just love to cruise. Have been on over 100 cruises in last 30 years, many on Crystal. Also Regent, Cunard. Silver Sea and Seabourn. 
Doubt ports will change due to small bookings. These are booked two years in advance. Doubt there will be cancellations from low bookings. I have been on ships with 30% occupancy. Explora trying to attract new customers. They have very deep pockets. Not to worry on that score. 
Although you cannot make more than one booking per specialty restaurant in advance I am sure once on board there will be plenty of options especially if ship less than 80% occupied. 
So far I hear only good things from folks on board. 
Better book now and take advantage of lower rates. We booked a year ago and costing half for comparable cabin on other luxury ships. Supply and demand!!

Good luck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@Whipsnade I will look forward to your objective reports on the ship. It has been frustrating to have to weed through the glorious reports of TA's, etc when many of us have questions about logistical issues and also want to hear something other than what I consider an insipid PR campaign about an "ocean state of mind."   I'm thankful that a few actual paid cruiser reports are starting to come through on facebook threads, and will very much look forward to your additions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frogfish12 said:

I hope it's ok to start a new thread to ask general questions, already looked at all the threads and I don't know where to put mine.

Seriously considering a cruise, from the photos the ship is the nicest I've seen but have the following concerns:

1. It seems the January cruises are still quite empty, if they intend to fill it with TA/unpaid guests then no way will I book. Do you think they are going to do that most sailings? Worse I'm worried Explora may drop/change ports prior to the cruise or even cancel the sailing because of low numbers. Also concerning is the lack of reviews besides the "paid" ones. Finally being the same company as MSC gives me no confidence in their ability to handle situations - Quite unlikely! They're doing their start up already with several problems and they won't lose opportunities elsewhere. MSC group will consider the first 2 years as a "soft opening" time with no profits in mind. TA/unpaid guests are a figure for first 2 sailings no more, unless one or another when they relocate ship elsewhere. And sadly they didn't do their homework here at the influencers front. They've invited the same 2nd line ones they use for their mainstream sailings instead of the prime ones... Good luck!... If the venture fails they have certainly something in mind to redeploy those ships for sure, so no stress for them for the next 2 years at least.

2. Can someone please summarize and review all the dining options? I read the threads but still confused, to my understanding there is Sakura and Marble, that can be booked only once each (also hard to book) - Those 2 you mentioned are just one per sailing beforehand, but you'll may be able to get more onboard, especially on a half full ship.

If I don't make a single reservation (because on vacation and don't want to plan ahead), what are my options for lunch and dinner? which restaurants can I walk in with no wait? someone mentioned 30 mins in line that's not good! Is buffet open all 3 meals and is it crowded? - According to all sources marketplace open for all meals, but according to a video I watched on that it's not your typical cruise buffet. Imagine one of those premium department store or shopping mall food courts where some local celebrity chefs will have their open space selling their food to be consumed on a common central area? Here in Lisbon we have one of those called "Gourmet Experience" at "El Corte Inglés", a premium-to-luxury Spanish department store. Same concept for a cruise ship buffet offering. That's what it felt to me. Otherwise there are 2 MDR restaurants available. I imagine they're more stressed on those first sailings due to the "special ones" onboard, but things will improve as times fly by.

Thank you

First of its all, welcome aboard CC Explora forums! Have my answers in blue across your text and have a wonderful day!...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, frogfish12 said:

1. It seems the January cruises are still quite empty, if they intend to fill it with TA/unpaid guests then no way will I book. Do you think they are going to do that most sailings? Worse I'm worried Explora may drop/change ports prior to the cruise or even cancel the sailing because of low numbers. Also concerning is the lack of reviews besides the "paid" ones. Finally being the same company as MSC gives me no confidence in their ability to handle situations

2. Can someone please summarize and review all the dining options? I read the threads but still confused, to my understanding there is Sakura and Marble, that can be booked only once each (also hard to book)

If I don't make a single reservation (because on vacation and don't want to plan ahead), what are my options for lunch and dinner? which restaurants can I walk in with no wait? someone mentioned 30 mins in line that's not good! Is buffet open all 3 meals and is it crowded? 

Thank you

Point 1 --  I highly doubt they will do the free ones to TA's in January.   They have already done the pre and first cruise full of TA's another set is on the Canadian cruises (my TA has a Penthouse cabin).   Yes they may sail 1/2 full, doubt at all they would cancel ports as these take time to set up.

Point 2 -- Sakura and Marble are the ones you need a reservation.   They open 60 days prior to sailing. Yes one advance per sailing.  Booking best by a phone call directly or through your TA.

As far as FB reviews and posts all of the ones so far are from TA's.  Some of the sites are sponsored by TA's.  So the likelyhood of an Objective review is ZERO.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@frogfish12. Last post was accurate.   The TA posts, while helpful in regards to lot of photography around the ship, were PR pieces for Explora basically.  And I was castigated for asking one TA why they had not responded to a post in which they were asked if they saw any areas that they felt needed improvement.  It's also been bizarre that people report that they aren't allowed to post the wine list! 

• Like 4

@NunagorasThank you for the welcome and the detailed post

@PaulMCO @java spot I didn't know the facebook ones are from travel agents. Is it unusual to have no objective reviews? I think maiden voyage was August 1 so it's been over 2 weeks

Right now Explora is my 1st choice. I'm in no hurry, will wait patiently for more info and reviews before deciding. I mentioned on the Seabourn thread that it'll be my first cruise. If I don't find any cruise plus itinerary that I like for 2024, can cruise in 2025 and do land-based trips for 2024.

Thank you everyone!!

@frogfish12  This is the first time that I'll be traveling on a brand new ship and cruise line, so the Facebook experience has been a novel one for me. I had not realized that the first cruise was a sales pep talk event, so to speak, so was just baffled when so many of the posts seemed to mimic the Explora language and post rhapsodic reviews of every corner of the ship that they thought would appeal to their clients. It was very frustrating as I am accustomed to Cruise Critic and well, the word critic is an important part of the name.  I want to know the good and bad and hearing only the brilliant just made me anxious and sceptical.    Now some actual passengers are providing some actual information and it is mostly positive but in a normal person kind of way. Apologies in advance if I am offending anyone. 

• Like 4

There have been so many “shills” as in influencers and TAs posting on their IG stories and blogs and praising Explora to the sky that it makes me skeptical of the product.  I will give it a good 90 days of real guests reviews before I consider it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, frogfish12 said:

@NunagorasThank you for the welcome and the detailed post

@PaulMCO @java spot I didn't know the facebook ones are from travel agents. Is it unusual to have no objective reviews? I think maiden voyage was August 1 so it's been over 2 weeks

Right now Explora is my 1st choice. I'm in no hurry, will wait patiently for more info and reviews before deciding. I mentioned on the Seabourn thread that it'll be my first cruise. If I don't find any cruise plus itinerary that I like for 2024, can cruise in 2025 and do land-based trips for 2024.

Thank you everyone!!

One reason that you had so many publicists onboard in August was because the initial inaugural (17 July) was cancelled at the very very last minute. “Proper customers” like me were abandoned (see my thread about my refund) with none of the promised communication after the cancellation. No one reached out to rebook me to quote their words to this day.  But they did reach out to the publicists added them to the August sailings (so the number of them onboard was even greater) and I suspect sweetened their experience even more. Note they are all in expensive rooms. 

As for us, had we been onboard we would have been very objective and answered normal questions like when is the laundry open - I saw one facebook respondent declined to answer that question extolling the virtues of the ships laundry which when digging that seemed to be free to them anyway. 

Instead I will be objective, their shoreside service is beyond appalling when things go wrong. Banging their terms and conditions on the table that they pay any refunds due 60 days after cancellation is the last straw when it was them who cancelled. Obviously the publicists have not waited either for someone to “reach out to them to rebook” or for any refunds. Oh wait, there won’t have been refunds on freebie’s. 

So objectively Explora are NOT customer service focused shoreside and that is part of the customer experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In case anyone wants to know when the laundry is open, 24 hours. Decks 9 and 10. 2 washer/dryers each. +1 ironing board. 2 comfy seats for those choosing to wait. Note: the machines speak European, not North American. North Americans may need an interpreter. Shorter people may need the assistance of a taller person for the dryer controls. Soap pellets are in the basket on the shelf. Instruction manuals for the machines are in the back of the lowest shelf in the cabinet. Be very cautious if you bend down to get one, as not everyone entering the laundry room looks through the window in the door to check for bodies. Left handed ironers might also find themselves blocking the doorway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Nunagoras’ description of MarketPlace in post #7 is accurate. The food across the ship is very good.  Besides MP, there are the 4 other restaurants, the 2 smaller of which require reservations, the 2 larger don’t take reservations. There is also the Le Crema Cafe, coffeehouse with snacks, afternoon teatime with served treats, and Anthology, the extra price rotating chef tasting menu with optional wine pairing. Reservations required for Anthology. Oh, and there is a no reservation sushi bar in Sakura as well. And of course room service. And there are bars everywhere. 

Service across the ship has been uniformly friendly and well done. 

Edited by TER777
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Nunagoras’ description of MarketPlace in post #7 is accurate. The food across the ship is very good.  Besides MP, there are the 4 other restaurants, the 2 smaller of which require reservations, the 2 larger don’t take reservations. There is also the Le Crema Cafe, coffeehouse with snacks, afternoon teatime with served treats, and Anthology, the extra price rotating chef tasting menu with optional wine pairing. Reservations required for Anthology. Oh, and there is a no reservation sushi bar in Sakura as well. And of course room service. And there are bars everywhere. 

Service across the ship has been uniformly friendly and well done. 

Can you tell me in the market place in the evening do you have to stand around and wait for the food they cook or do you go back to your table and it is brought to you when it’s ready. I like the sound of the food concept, but I do prefer not to be jumping up and down to get food in the evening.

Thanks

1 hour ago, uktog said:

As for us, had we been onboard we would have been very objective and answered normal questions like when is the laundry open - I saw one facebook respondent declined to answer that question extolling the virtues of the ships laundry which when digging that seemed to be free to them anyway. 

The self service laundry is open 24 hours 

Here’s where I got that info from (off one of the 12 Explora Journeys FB groups I’ve seen) and it includes the operating hours of many of the facilities 

There’s a ton of info out there right now on social media - I think most are quite capable of judging the validity and independence of material - personally I just look at the pictures from around the ship and pictures of menus etc as they are factual with editorial commentary 

IMG_2516.thumb.jpeg.e3c2606fe8dc81129fa12c3060fc32ef.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Can you tell me in the market place in the evening do you have to stand around and wait for the food they cook or do you go back to your table and it is brought to you when it’s ready. I like the sound of the food concept, but I do prefer not to be jumping up and down to get food in the evening.

Thanks

It’s not intended to be table service. 

The Med Yacht opening time has been adjusted this cruise to 18:30 due to 750 guests on board. 

I forget to list earlier the gelato/crepes venue. 

Thanks yes I knew it was not table service I just wondered how much "service" there was. On another line for example at breakfast the made to order items such as omlettes are brought to your table you do not stand around waiting for them.  I was just wondering what Explora was like in the evening

19 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks yes I knew it was not table service I just wondered how much "service" there was. On another line for example at breakfast the made to order items such as omlettes are brought to your table you do not stand around waiting for them.  I was just wondering what Explora was like in the evening

If you’re seated very near a particular food station, the chef might bring it over, but no, there is no one to carry to the other side, nor front, nor back. That’s not the point of the venue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TER777 said:

If you’re seated very near a particular food station, the chef might bring it over, but no, there is no one to carry to the other side, nor front, nor back. That’s not the point of the venue. 

Thanks, not a night time venue then for us, but I am sure it is for others.

23 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

What is the 'normal' opening time for the MDR style restaurants ? 

Post 17 shows the Restaurant hours.  There technically is no MDR/GDR  restaurant. 

The Med Yacht club is 1900h and Fil Rouge is 1830h

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMCO said:

Post 9 shows the Restaurant hours.  There technical is no MDR/GDR  restaurant. 

The Med Yacht club is 1900h and Fil Rouge is 1830h

On this thread I am referring to post #17. Which reads exactly as you state. 9 pm and 6:30 pm for dinner. Kind of late for those of us accustomed to earlier dinner times. We enjoy 5:30 in the MSC Yacht Clubs. I fear if this is the case it will be one and done as we are already paid in full $36,100 for our cruise this year. Thank goodness our $23,200 cruise in 2024 is later and we will decide after this first one if it will be back to MSC Yacht Club for us.