ETIAS For 2024 European Travel

hernando52

I checked the EU website.  It provided some background.  It's €7 for 3 years.  We'll see if it takes effect in 2024.  People over (IIRC) 60 are excepted from the fee but not the visa application.  Sounds like it's going to be a fairly simple online process so hopefully nothing more than a mild annoyance.

12 hours ago, cassie55 said:

It's not quid pro quo because it will apply to all non EU citizens not just US.  As a British citizen I'll need one too, and we don't have anything similar for EU citizens (or the US for that matter) to come to the UK.

You do...

Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

steamboats

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I checked the EU website.  It provided some background.  It's €7 for 3 years.  We'll see if it takes effect in 2024.  People over (IIRC) 60 are excepted from the fee but not the visa application.  Sounds like it's going to be a fairly simple online process so hopefully nothing more than a mild annoyance.

IIRC, unless they have changed it from delayed past proposals, it is over 70, not 60.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Right!!!  Personally I’m fine with some government oversight on who enters their country.  And 7 Euro for 3 years is well worth my time to get approval.  

We are fine with this ... Bermuda government wanted $45 last year to obtain a single use entry authorization b/c of COVID plus testing requirement, and one of the last entity to drop that for all travelers, that fee must be paid regardless of age. When we travel to Canada, there was zero fee for the pre-authorization prior to doing border crossing.  This one is good for multiple entries with the validity period at $7 USD, free for some.  US entries & the costs for other nationals ... don't ask 🙄 😳 

Edited by mking8288

8 hours ago, cassie55 said:

For 7 countries only.  Hardly the same as a US ESTA or an EU ETIAS which applies to all people not citizens. 

Only because the UK ETA hasn't been fully implemented yet. In the end it will be for all visa-waiver countries, just like ESTA/ETIAS (with specific exemptions like Canada for the US ESTA, and Ireland for the UK ETA).

None of these programs is designed to apply to "all non-citizens", as most non-citizens continue to require an actual visa.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 7:12 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, it IS quid pro quo. Many countries whose citizens want to visit the US have to apply for an ESTA. As @Notts1964 pointed out. So it DOES apply to citizens of those countries who needed the ESTA, and possibly others as well.

Sorry but I agree with Cassie. 

For UK citizens it is definitely not Quid Pro Quo. 

The UK does not require European citizens to complete any kind of ETIAS or ESTA type process yet we are being asked to complete it to travel to Europe.

For US citizens the EU is getting everyone to do what the US has been asking overseas travellers to do for many years 

If ESTIA speeds up the immigration process for us Brits then I'm more than happy as the idiots who voted for Brexit made travelling to Europe a pain in the backside!!!!

1 hour ago, Markj said:

If ESTIA speeds up the immigration process for us Brits then I'm more than happy as the idiots who voted for Brexit made travelling to Europe a pain in the backside!!!!

How is it a pain in the backside? I’ve travelled to Europe a few times in the last couple of years and it hasn’t been noticeably different to previously. Maybe a bit busier due to covid restrictions and staffing issues. Certainly not a pain in my experience.

Without Brexit we wouldn’t have needed to apply for ETIAS, but I’ve not seen anything to suggest that it will be a problem. A few minutes and a few quid, which we’d all rather not have to deal with, I agree, but really nothing major.

Well I go 12-15 times a year and in my experience with the moving of UK citizens from the EU immigration channel to the "Rest of the world" channel immigration on most occasions takes considerably longer.

When we were in the EU we were able to use the automatic passport gates. Now we cannot. With more if these automated gates coming into use it galls me to see EU citizens have a much easier route into EU countries whilst we have to queue up with everyone else.

ETIAS will increase the level of administration!

Happy that it's all been good for you but that's not been my experience

And the cause

Those who voted for Brexit. Well done everybody, look at how much better everything is now! Yeah right! 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Markj said:

Well I go 12-15 times a year and in my experience with the moving of UK citizens from the EU immigration channel to the "Rest of the world" channel immigration on most occasions takes considerably longer.

When we were in the EU we were able to use the automatic passport gates. Now we cannot. With more if these automated gates coming into use it galls me to see EU citizens have a much easier route into EU countries whilst we have to queue up with everyone else.

ETIAS will increase the level of administration!

Happy that it's all been good for you but that's not been my experience

And the cause

Those who voted for Brexit. Well done everybody, look at how much better everything is now! Yeah right! 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

You’ve been more often than me, so your experience is probably more representative. Maybe we’ve been lucky in not arriving at busy times, but I certainly haven’t noticed any particular extra time to get through.

• 4 months later...