Should I book Paul Gauguin or Windstar for 6/24?

MissEileen23

I'm planning a trip to Tahiti for next June and I'm leaning towards the Paul Gauguin 7 night cruise.  I've seen a lot of comments on the boards here though about people who aren't comfortable booking with PG due to issues with refunds, etc.  I don't cruise often so I'm not used to booking trips far ahead of time and with such a large deposit.  Windstar seems to have a less restrictive cancellation policy along with a much smaller required deposit.  This trip is for a special anniversary so I'm not planning on cancelling unless absolutely necessary, but things happen.  Any thoughts?

We have been on PG 8 times and now have a Windstar Cruise in July of 2024.  I personally would not be concerned with the deposit issue.  Suggest you use a Travel Agent as many can provided some added on board credit and/or a post cruise rebate.  We love the PG but chose the Windstar for a few reasons.

Windstar had a very good price for their 7 night trip for July.  For the two of us it was $5400 which is about half of the PG fare.  I know we have to add in gratuities and we will not get free internet or laundry.  PG is all inclusive and includes drinks but since we don't drink alcohol that does not matter to us.  On Windstar I believe it would be $89 per person per day to include all this or about another $1400 for the two of us.  The Windstar rate is would still be a good savings for us.

In February Windstar is relocating the Star Breeze, a motor yacht, to Tahiti.  This ship appears to be pretty similar to the PG.  It looks like it may have a few more dining options and is also about 300 passengers.

The deck 4 cabins on PG are 200 square feet.  On Windstar the similar cabin is 270 which is a significant difference.  We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin but a little more space would be welcome. 

Our last cruise (this past July) on the PG was very good.  The crew is spectacular.  I did find that some things have changed from prior sailings that most first time passengers would not miss.  That being said minor things like flowers in the cabin, fruit bowls in the cabin, the captain showing up at the repeaters cruise (he did not) were some of the things that we missed but are not crucial.  I did send a message to PG with an in depth review of my concerns and they acknowledged receipt but nothing more.

So........we are anticipating that Windstar will be spectacular as the PG has been.  If the price was the same I would probably flip a coin.  You probably can't go wrong with either..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlightMedic555 said:

So........we are anticipating that Windstar will be spectacular as the PG has been.  If the price was the same I would probably flip a coin.  You probably can't go wrong with either..

Thanks for your comments FlightMedic!  WindStar is actually a lot cheaper (just a little more than what you are paying in July) for this sailing so even if I add the all inclusive package it's still cheaper.  It seems like I should go with WindStar but for some reason I keep looking at Paul Gauguin.  The itineraries and dates are slightly different, but for the price I can't imagine that it would make that much difference.

I haven't sailed on PG, but I did have two cruises cancelled by Ponant because of Covid.  The first time they refused to give cash back but offered a 125% coupon that we applied to a nicer cabin on a future cruise.  When that one was also cancelled we demanded our money back – and got it.  My travel agent said something that made me wonder if she succeeded because we are NY residents (and Ponant's US operation is based in NY).

But my impression is that if Ponant hadn't taken over PG, it might have gone out of business altogether.  So I would temper my feeling about Ponant cancellation policies with that thought...

I've been on the PG 15 times  ... loved most of the cruises ... lately some things have changed and not the usual perfection as in the past ... hopefully things will get back to normal in the future .... not big things but noticeable. 

However, I now have 3 cruises scheduled for the Windstar Star Breeze ... I been told by many that the service and Food are equally as good as the PG. This simply comes down to price  ... all of my Windstar cruises are about a 25% savings even when you add the premium package. Love the bigger cabins on the Star Breeze.

Keep in mind Windstar is leaving the Star Breeze full time in FP ... so I would suspect the cruises will be very good as the intention is to go toe to toe with PG. 

You can't go wrong with either .... BTW, though the issuing of on board credit by a TA is acceptable ... kick backs after the cruise is a no no. If a TA gets caught doing it it they could loss their ability to sell the cruise.

Competition is always good for the consumer 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But my impression is that if Ponant hadn't taken over PG, it might have gone out of business altogether.  So I would temper my feeling about Ponant cancellation policies with that thought...

Thanks for sharing your experience with Ponant.  I also wasn't aware that PG could have gone out of business.

14 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

IHowever, I now have 3 cruises scheduled for the Windstar Star Breeze ... I been told by many that the service and Food are equally as good as the PG. This simply comes down to price  ... all of my Windstar cruises are about a 25% savings even when you add the premium package. Love the bigger cabins on the Star Breeze.

Keep in mind Windstar is leaving the Star Breeze full time in FP ... so I would suspect the cruises will be very good as the intention is to go toe to toe with PG. 

I agree about the price.  If PG isn't noticeably better than Windstar, paying 25% more doesn't make sense!  I was also hoping that with Star Breeze staying in FP, they would have to try and keep up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissEileen23 said:

Thanks for sharing your experience with Ponant.  I also wasn't aware that PG could have gone out of business.

I agree about the price.  If PG isn't noticeably better than Windstar, paying 25% more doesn't make sense!  I was also hoping that with Star Breeze staying in FP, they would have to try and keep up. 

When Ponant took over PG, they announced plans to build new ships and expand the fleet.  Then Covid intervened and the new build program was put on hold.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/ponant-delays-two-new-cruise-ships-from-vard

I went through this whole decision process myself before I booked my upcoming PG cruise. In the end I went with PG, mainly because I really want total immersion in French Polynesia, which I know PG does well (having done two PG cruises in the past). I know Windstar is planning on leaving the Star Breeze in FP full time, but that's a brand new thing and I don't know how much the ship, and the cruise experience, will be modified so as to reflect total immersion in FP. 

I've been on Windstar cruises and they were wonderful, but I did not find them to be at the same level of luxury as PG. The food wasn't nearly as good, although it was fine, certainly better than most mass-market cruise lines - just not to PG standards. The service was friendly, but not at the incredible levels I remember from PG (and recent reviews indicate PG's service is still awesome). The decor was basic - very nautical, whereas the PG is rich with Polynesian colors, artwork, and decor.

All that being said, I was NOT on Star Breeze...I was on their smaller sailing vessels. Maybe Star Breeze will up the luxury factor from Windstar's other ships. It did used to be a  Seabourn ship, after all. 🙂 So take my review of Windstar with a grain of salt, as it was not on this particular ship.

I will say that I also am skeptical about the cabins on Star Breeze - I understand that when they refurbished the ship in 2020, they basically cut it in half and added a bunch of new cabins. But they didn't do anything to refresh the old ones, which haven't been refurbed since 2015. So you have to be very careful to pick one of the new cabins (if you can get one).

Also, Star Breeze does NOT have an onboard scuba diving program, which is crucial to me as the diving is one of the main reasons I go to FP. It's so convenient to be able to dive from a zodiac that departs right from the marine deck at the stern of the PG. I assume Star Breeze will offer scuba diving excursions, but it'll be using an outside dive op.

In the end, I decided I'd rather go with a known product than a new itinerary on a repurposed ship. Of course none of these issues may be important to you, and of course price matters, so it's good we have choices! 🙂 

• Like 3

Think we must wait for the Star Breeze to actually be in FP full time ... I've been told that the immersion will be solid, top notch ... I've been told that the dinning is very good on the Star Breeze ... and 5 dinning venues. Hard to compare when you don't have the actual ship to compare with  .... I just know the prices on WS on the Star Breeze are incredible right now as they get ready to launch full time in FP .... 

WS has been sailing FP for 35 years ... 25 years for PG.

We shall see ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leejnd4 said:

I will say that I also am skeptical about the cabins on Star Breeze - I understand that when they refurbished the ship in 2020, they basically cut it in half and added a bunch of new cabins. But they didn't do anything to refresh the old ones, which haven't been refurbed since 2015. So you have to be very careful to pick one of the new cabins (if you can get one).

Actually comments in the Windstar forum have people who prefer both the classic and the new cabins.  The new ones have a nice midship location and new look, but they put the bed near the window/French balcony which many people dislike [harder to enjoy the view in the daytime, harder to get to the bathroom at night].  They also charge slightly more for the new cabins.  And some people also prefer the classic nautical look.  We ended up choosing a classic cabin for the layout [haven't sailed yet].

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Think we must wait for the Star Breeze to actually be in FP full time ... I've been told that the immersion will be solid, top notch ... I've been told that the dinning is very good on the Star Breeze ... and 5 dinning venues. Hard to compare when you don't have the actual ship to compare with  .... I just know the prices on WS on the Star Breeze are incredible right now as they get ready to launch full time in FP .... 

WS has been sailing FP for 35 years ... 25 years for PG.

We shall see ... 

Yes, exactly...which is why I went ahead and booked the PG for November, rather than waiting until January to book the Star Breeze. I don't get to cruise often enough to take a chance on something that is yet to be known. 😉 But I do plan on going back to FP, and if the Star Breeze turns out to be as fab as the PG for less money, then I will definitely consider it!

I'll be looking forward to your detailed reports, Jerry. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Actually comments in the Windstar forum have people who prefer both the classic and the new cabins.  The new ones have a nice midship location and new look, but they put the bed near the window/French balcony which many people dislike [harder to enjoy the view in the daytime, harder to get to the bathroom at night].  They also charge slightly more for the new cabins.  And some people also prefer the classic nautical look.  We ended up choosing a classic cabin for the layout [haven't sailed yet].

Interesting! Well, I'll also be eager to hear your review too. I hope you'll have a chance to see both cabins, so you can report back which one you like better.

As for the nautical look...yeah, I can understand that. I live on a sailboat, tho, so I get my fill of the nautical look every day. 😉 

Edited by Leejnd4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

I live on a sailboat, tho, so I get my fill of the nautical look every day. 😉 

And you're used to having a cabin without a veranda – which is a fatal flaw for me...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And you're used to having a cabin without a veranda – which is a fatal flaw for me...

Well, I do admit my cabin on my floating home doesn't have a veranda...but we do have the cockpit for stargazing! 😉 Although I admit the food probably doesn't match up to either the PG or  Windstar. Plus, I have to cook it myself. The service STINKS! 😝

• Like 2

Just don't book yourself on a behemoth like this ...

Earlier this year the Capitan moved our small ship from Oponupo Bay to Cook's Bay on Moorea as this was steaming into Oponupo Bay. I snag the picture as we were leaving Oponupo Bay. All 165,000 tons of her with a capacity of 4900 guest. When something like this steams in everything changes on the island as far as how busy it is and the available private excursions. Hopefully Moorea moves toward what some other islands in FP are doing  .... eliminating the behemoths from visiting.

DSC06906-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

We booked a balcony suite on Star Breeze back in July during their promotion.. 7 nights, (we will stay pre and post cruise) September 2025 (we will be celebrating my friends 50th birthday) for $3,450 per person with included premium beverage package, all gratuities, internet and 700 OBC so we felt it was a no brainer for us (just wish it were longer but it's perfect for my friend who has to get back to work)  

Edited by Piaa

34 minutes ago, Piaa said:

We booked a balcony suite on Star Breeze back in July during their promotion.. 7 nights, (we will stay pre and post cruise) September 2025 (we will be celebrating my friends 50th birthday) for $3,450 per person with included premium beverage package, all gratuities, internet and 700 OBC so we felt it was a no brainer for us (just wish it were longer but it's perfect for my friend who has to get back to work)  

That's a good deal...and by then the ship will have been in FP for nearly two years, so they should have their immersion well in hand. 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

That's a good deal...and by then the ship will have been in FP for nearly two years, so they should have their immersion well in hand. 🙂 

And I can only assume the prices in 2 years will have increased so I think it will be an even better deal by then 😀

• Like 1

@Piaa Your trip sounds like a very fine way for you and your friend to celebrate their 50th birthday!!  I thought I had a long time to wait for my February 2025 first Windstar cruise, but you have me "beat" on that!   My 50th birthday cruise was my first Crystal Cruise and the rest was history!

Paul Gauguin sounds like a great trip too but hasn't been too solo friendly on prices which is probably why I haven't gone.....yet!!   🙂

~Nancy

• Like 1

We have sailed on both types of windstar vessels (sails and motor yacht) and really wanted a balcony for French Polynesia, so we went with PG. In addition, the scuba program on board. We’re onboard the PG right now and are very happy with our decision. While I understand food to be subjective, we are enjoying the food here on the PG over Windstar in variety and taste. Very likely that we will book a future cruise before leaving. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting discussion between the two lines.  From what I have gleaned so far, key differentiators are that Windstar has larger cabins and is appreciably cheaper than PG. However, PG has real balconies whereas Windstar, with the exception of a few luxury suites, has at best Juliette balconies.  It seems like for a place like Polynesia it would really benefit from having a balcony to sit out on.  What have been other’s take on this.

Also, what about itineraries and excursions.  Are there noticeable differences between the two companies?  I noticed that PG spends an overnight in Morea.  Is that a significant differentiator?  Are the excursions comparable in selection and price?

Edited by rjp50

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Very interesting discussion between the two lines.  From what I have gleaned so far, key differentiators are that Windstar has larger cabins and is appreciably cheaper than PG. However, PG has real balconies whereas Windstar, with the exception of a few luxury suites, has at best Juliette balconies.  It seems like for a place like Polynesia it would really benefit from having a balcony to sit out on.  What have been other’s take on this.

Also, what about itineraries and excursions.  Are there noticeable differences between the two companies?  I noticed that PG spends an overnight in Morea.  Is that a significant differentiator?  Are the excursions comparable in selection and price?

What I've noticed is many returnees prefer deck #4 (large window) as it saves considerable money ... enough to help pay for the business class air. It also allows those who do have a budget to enjoy FP more often. This is discussed frequently on my page and it has been consistent. 

With that being said my Better Half loves a balcony ... for me it isn't a big deal as I go up top and enjoy the super large 'balcony'. 

Excursion offerings appear to be similar and the price equally similar. 

I've booked 3 Star Breeze cruises over the next 18 months ... love the price point and I'm fine with the huge window ... and I love the larger cabins.

There is no right or wrong decision here ... your going to be in paradise either way 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...