Birth Certificate Question (take your mother in law on a cruise they said)

Quick question-  taking mother in law on her first cruise

She mailed off for passport (sent her only birth certificate with her application).  She just got a letter saying they couldn't read the document and she needed to send another one.  I have now sent a request for out of state birth certificate to her state of birth.  Should get in just a few days.

I ordered two copies.

Cruise is Galveston- cozumel- Galveston

If her passport fails to return- she can cruise with a birth certificate and valid government ID for this cruise correct?

9 minutes ago, SoonerDan said:

Quick question-  taking mother in law on her first cruise

She mailed off for passport (sent her only birth certificate with her application).  She just got a letter saying they couldn't read the document and she needed to send another one.  I have now sent a request for out of state birth certificate to her state of birth.  Should get in just a few days.

I ordered two copies.

Cruise is Galveston- cozumel- Galveston

If her passport fails to return- she can cruise with a birth certificate and valid government ID for this cruise correct?

If she is a US citizen and on a closed loop cruise (starting/ending at same place in the US) Passport makes it easier in an emergency to fly home if needed.

• Like 1

And if her current surname that's on her official identification card (like her driver license) is different than her birth certificate surname, I think you're supposed to bring the bridging document, like her marriage license if she changed her name when she got married.  I've always used a passport, but I believe that's what I've read before. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevea36 said:

The birth certificate and any bridging documents are required to have a raised seal from the state/locality that issued the documents.

Don't think so.  Not every state does raised seals.  It needs to be an "official" document.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, stevea36 said:

The birth certificate and any bridging documents are required to have a raised seal from the state/locality that issued the documents.

Raised seals have been replaced by watermarks for many states, especially for birth certificates.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 8:33 PM, stevea36 said:

Not true. I have been on two cruises the past month using my birth certificate and driver’s license while waiting for my passport renewal. My birth certificate does not have a seal, but I had no issues at both Port Everglades and Port Miami getting on and off the ship (Freedom and Adventure) 

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not true. I have been on two cruises the past month using my birth certificate and driver’s license while waiting for my passport renewal. My birth certificate does not have a seal, but I had no issues at both Port Everglades and Port Miami getting on and off the ship (Freedom and Adventure) 

For clarity, this comment was regarding the BC not needing a seal....    The bridging documents are usually not required but ALWAYS a good thing to bring just in case.

On 8/23/2023 at 8:48 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Don't think so.  Not every state does raised seals.  It needs to be an "official" document.

Yeah, I recently got a copy of my marriage license and when they handed it to me I thought it was the receipt since it went straight from the printer to my hands.   I don't even think it has a watermark.  But they assured me it was official.