LAX hotel recommendations

Nebr.cruiser

We are cruising out of San Pedro in December.  We have stayed at the Crown Plaza a couple of times, which was fine, but this time our flight gets in at 5:30 pm the day before sailing.  Since getting luggage and transport to San Pedro will make a late hotel arrival, we are wondering if it would be simpler to stay at a LAX hotel and then transfer to the dock in the morning. Any recommendations for a decent hotel--don't need luxury?

We have used Super Shuttle twice to the hotel--quite a long drive, and Uber last year (from the airport).  That was day of the cruise, was pricey and still long, also getting to the Uber lot was a mess.  We'd either Uber from hotel direct to the ship or possibly back to the airport and use Princess transfer to ship. We would want a hotel with free shuttles.

If we had more time after our flight we'd definitely get closer to port, but it may be at least 7:30 or later, so not really time enough to do or see much.  

Our next two trips are out of SP as well, one in October and one of February. In Feb, we don't land into LAX until after 10PM, so rather than drive immediately down to our usual intermediate stop, Torrance, we elected to stay right at LAX and continue on to the ship early on Embarkation Day. We chose the big Hyatt Regency, right at LAX and the physically closest hotel to the terminals, right on Century Blvd. For us, a short 15 minute walk from our Terminal 6, but they also have a shuttle. For us, it had the best combination of price, location and reviews for our Feb 2024 arrival.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Our next two trips are out of SP as well, one in October and one of February. In Feb, we don't land into LAX until after 10PM, so rather than drive immediately down to our usual intermediate stop, Torrance, we elected to stay right at LAX and continue on to the ship early on Embarkation Day. We chose the big Hyatt Regency, right at LAX and the physically closest hotel to the terminals, right on Century Blvd. For us, a short 15 minute walk from our Terminal 6, but they also have a shuttle. For us, it had the best combination of price, location and reviews for our Feb 2024 arrival.

The Hyatt looks great but the only room they had available was $550!!   A little (lot) pricey for us,for barely more than 12 hours!   There were rooms priced much cheaper, but apparently they are all gone.  Thank you though!

15 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The Hyatt looks great but the only room they had available was $550!!   A little (lot) pricey for us,for barely more than 12 hours!   There were rooms priced much cheaper, but apparently they are all gone.  Thank you though!

No worries, I hope you find a good deal.  In our case I had booked it far enough in advance that I got a very decent price. The time of year also makes a huge difference as well, seems like our Feb trip falls into a low season so the price we got was pretty good. Best of luck.

• Like 1

I'm Hilton brand loyal so always stay at the LAX Hilton.  We stay if we have an early morning flight or if we have a late arriving after a long travel day.  Last time DW gave me a hard time for booking a room when our flight from Orlando only got in at 7:00 PM.  Well guess what?  The flight was delayed and we didn't get in until almost midnight, SCORE!    

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, scottca075 said:

I've never liked the LAX Hilton. If I wanted a Hilton at LAX I'd book the Homewood Suites or H Hotel. Other than that I like the LAX Marriott, 4 Points and Residence Inn.

The LAX Hilton has had it's ups and downs, but currently it's been on the upside.  Rooms have been renovated and the bar has pretty good food and drinks; it can get crowded on the weekend.  Plus, being Diamond I get upgraded most times staying there.  Homewood's are my first choice when on a road trip, but they really are lacking in the bar/restaurant category and after a long day of travel the last thing I want to do is get back in the car and look for a place to eat.  I would do a Marriott but I'm so deeply invested in Hilton points I stick to Hilton for the perks.  I will say my favorite airport hotel is the Hyatt inside MCO.       

34 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Homewood's are my first choice when on a road trip, but they really are lacking in the bar/restaurant category and after a long day of travel the last thing I want to do is get back in the car and look for a place to eat.

The Homewood Suites at LAX is in the same building as the H Hotel LAX, which includes Waypoint Kitchen, a Subway and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

45 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The Homewood Suites at LAX is in the same building as the H Hotel LAX, which includes Waypoint Kitchen, a Subway and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

Most times I have found the LAX Hilton to be the cheapest of any Hilton close to the airport.  I guess they figure they make up the money at the bar.  "Subway" really?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 1:34 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Most times I have found the LAX Hilton to be the cheapest of any Hilton close to the airport.  I guess they figure they make up the money at the bar.  "Subway" really?  

Or they have to be lower to get bookings because the newer Hilton hotels are much nicer. That is how the marketplace works.

An Uber can be $45-75 depending on the time of day, day of the week, time of year.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Or they have to be lower to get bookings because the newer Hilton hotels are much nicer. That is how the marketplace works.

An Uber can be $45-75 depending on the time of day, day of the week, time of year.

Since we're only going to be there probably 12 hours, max, I can put up with a lack of updates, especially since I can pay with credit card perks. If I was staying several days or as part of my vacation, different criteria.  Thinking of taking the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then picking up a Princess transfer, but we'll see.  Uber was very expensive the last time we used it to port. It depends on when our travel companions come and if we can share transport.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

1 hour ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Uber was very expensive the last time we used it to port. It depends on when our travel companions come and if we can share transport.

Uber was very expensive immediately post Covid due to lack of drivers, but it seems to have normalized. At the wrong time of day it could still be "expensive" due to drive time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Uber was very expensive immediately post Covid due to lack of drivers, but it seems to have normalized. At the wrong time of day it could still be "expensive" due to drive time.

We are there November 19th Sunday 

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

This was in 2022, so I guess post-covid.  Getting to the Uber lot was also extremally frustrating and time consuming, but that was from the airport.  I'm assuming hotel pick up would be much easier!

On 9/7/2023 at 6:52 PM, Ricks said:

what is the cost of Uber to get from LAX hilton to San Pedro to get on NCL Bliss

No way to know until you book at the time.  You can do an advance RSVP and get a price but it's usually higher.  However, if you want to be guarantied a car it's best to RSVP in advance.  If you wait to call for an Uber when you need it there might not be any drivers or the system might be overloaded and you won't get one.  We just returned from Paris and Nice using Uber both places several times.  Doing an RSVP was about double the price of just calling when needed.  However, one morning we decided to call rather than advance RSVP and for 30 minutes the Uber www said "unable to connect to our server try again in a few minutes"; after that I did RSVP's.