Virtual Balcony on Voyager

We have always (7-8 cruises) stayed in inside staterooms until 2022 when we booked a virtual balcony.  It was nice to pretend we had a balcony.  But, honestly, we didn't turn in on very often.

But even saying that, I'd suggest it for a hidden perk ... The inside stateroom has the beds all the way in the back of the room (perpendicular to the back wall).  And the foot of the bed extends into the room.  But because balcony rooms are a little wider the bed is parallel to the back wall.  It made watching TV in bed much more enjoyable.  And it added more space to get around the bed.

It must have worked because we booked a ocean-view balcony for our next cruise!

Thank you for your response.  I have a couple of questions. What do you actually see. Do you only see the ocean? Days when you pull into port and you are docked can you see the town and people walking outside like you would standing on your balcony? When leaving do you see pulling away from the towns just like you would on a balcony. Or is the camera only on the front of the ship only showing water?

thanks. 

1 hour ago, cruiseforus said:

Or is the camera only on the front of the ship only showing water?

The view is from a camera on the side of the ship (kinda where a balcony would be) - so whatever that camera views, is what you'll get on the display.

We had this exact cabin on the Voyager last year and we enjoyed it. We usually book inside cabins as we use the money saved for so many other things. With the VB, sure it is nowhere anything what a real balcony is, but we had it on all the time and it did give us a sort of window when we had none. You see exactly what the camera shows, so it is just like an oceanview cabin, that is made to look like a balcony. We did close the curtains at night as we prefer a dark room in the AM, but if you open the curtains there is a decent enough view. We have booked VB on our next 3 cruises.

Cheers

Len

Just my 2 cents - we had a virtual balcony on Anthem and I absolutely despised the thing.  Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how much I loathed it. To me, the view of the ocean is horribly pixelated, enough to give me a headache.  Turn it off?  Not that simple.  Yes, you can turn it off, but it continues to emit a blue tv tube type glow - the only solution was to have maintenance come and disconnect the wretched thing.  So.. If you don't mind a fake looking, pixelated video and if you won't mind the room lit with blue light (I sleep pitch black and even put a towel to block the light coming from the bathroom) then you might enjoy it.  Never again for me! LOL  

Also, in our room with the virtual balcony, we only got a chair.  No sofa. It would have blocked the "view".

11 hours ago, cruiseforus said:

Thank you for your response.  I have a couple of questions. What do you actually see. Do you only see the ocean? Days when you pull into port and you are docked can you see the town and people walking outside like you would standing on your balcony? When leaving do you see pulling away from the towns just like you would on a balcony. Or is the camera only on the front of the ship only showing water?

thanks. 

You can see the port on port days, I fell asleep in Galveston with it on and all that clanking from loading the ship, lulled me to sleep.  I watched the longshoremen loading, witnessed them running over someone's pink case too!

35 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

You can see the port on port days, I fell asleep in Galveston with it on and all that clanking from loading the ship, lulled me to sleep.  I watched the longshoremen loading, witnessed them running over someone's pink case too!

Does it always face the port? 

Also, are you stating that it does include sound?

Edited by time4u2go

7 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Is there sound?

Yes, there is sound.  And the display is fed from a camera on your side of the ship.  So the picture matches the motion of the ship.

12 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Sounds silly to me. 

Anyone who has ever stayed in a balcony would agree.  But this is meant as a transition for us inside stateroom folks (which I identify with).

You have to crawl before you walk.  Walkers don't understand crawlers.  But crawlers are not "silly."