Do I need A New ESTA? SOME SAY YES. MOST SAY NO.

U6s68

We're trying out our first cruise from Florida this year. Our ESTAs are valid till the 14th Nov 2023. We fly out 5th of Nov 2023.

It's a repositioned cruise where we fly back from Barbados. We're scheduled to leave the States (NOLA) on the 12th Nov 2023 for the Caribbean.

I wanted to check there was no need to extend or reapply for the ESTA for this trip?

Am I right in think as long as it's valid for entry we're okay?

Anything to watch out for? Itinerary changes / weather contingencies etc?

22 minutes ago, U6s68 said:

Am I right in think as long as it's valid for entry we're okay?

Here's the official word from the US government in the ESTA FAQs. Note what I've highlighted in bold :

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

How long is my ESTA valid for?

Unless revoked, travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. The Authorization Approved screen displays your travel authorization expiration date.

Your ESTA authorization is generally valid for multiple trips over a period of two years (starting the date that you are approved) or until your passport expires, whichever comes first*. This means that as long as you received an ESTA authorization to travel, you do not have to reapply during the validity period.

If your ESTA expires while in the U.S. it will not affect your departure.

37 minutes ago, mom says said:

As long as you don't return to the US at the end of the cruise, on your way home. But your flight is probably direct from Barbados, and not connecting in the US.

That's correct. I may end up renewing the ESTA the week before travel. Just seems like a waste if mine is valid though. 

But why wouldn't you renew it when it is so quick, simple, and cheap to do?

As a frequent international traveller I firmly believe one should never take chances that nothing unexpected will occur, and I always build in as much safety margin as I can on every trip.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

But why wouldn't you renew it when it is so quick, simple, and cheap to do?

As a frequent international traveller I firmly believe one should never take chances that nothing unexpected will occur, and I always build in as much safety margin as I can on every trip.

A fair point.