Carnival's Excel Class and Stability

Opie100

What has been the observed experience so far of Carnival's Excel class (Mardi Gras and Celebration) in terms of stability at sea? Better than other ships their size? Same? Worse? Also interested in hearing how these large ships compare to the mid-size (or smaller) vessels. My DW loves vacationing and cruising but gets nervous with swaying. Thanks for any feedback here.

My mom (83 at the time) and I sailed on MG, Oct 2021 and stayed in an inside room I believe on the 10th level.  We didn't experience any stability issues on MG.  I have found more movement while cruising over Thanksgiving on a number of ships.  And if the captain is trying to make up time getting home, movement can be more apparent.  Good luck on your cruise choices!!

• Like 1

We’ve been on Mardi Gras for 9 cruises and Celebration for two.  Very little motion.  In fact, we’ve commented that we miss the gentle rolling at night - we often sleep better on cruise ships than at home.

Of course, no ship is immune from the effects of rough weather.  But overall I sincerely doubt you/your SO will be bothered by the motion on this class.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks all! Great points. I originally favored weekly itineraries that didn't have three days at sea for this reason, but given ninjacat123's good point, the captain might be less hurried with more sea days and perhaps that will help.

Rich: Wow, lots of experience already on these ships! Do you favor one of these ships more than the other (for any reasons in particular)? I have a 14 yo and a 19 yo - Holland America's offerings are less expensive but I know my 14 yo would prefer the activities on Celebration.

Edited by Opie100

3 hours ago, Opie100 said:

What has been the observed experience so far of Carnival's Excel class (Mardi Gras and Celebration) in terms of stability at sea? Better than other ships their size? Same? Worse? Also interested in hearing how these large ships compare to the mid-size (or smaller) vessels. My DW loves vacationing and cruising but gets nervous with swaying. Thanks for any feedback here.

No.    Why.   You are a grain of sand on the sea. 

14 hours ago, Opie100 said:

Thanks all! Great points. I originally favored weekly itineraries that didn't have three days at sea for this reason, but given ninjacat123's good point, the captain might be less hurried with more sea days and perhaps that will help.

Rich: Wow, lots of experience already on these ships! Do you favor one of these ships more than the other (for any reasons in particular)? I have a 14 yo and a 19 yo - Holland America's offerings are less expensive but I know my 14 yo would prefer the activities on Celebration.

You mentioned HAL, their largest ships are 99.5 K tons versus 180 K tons with the Excel Class.  So one ship is 80% bigger and will be able to handle the seas better.  But if course no ship is perfect and depending upon the time of year and where you're cruising will determine whether you have perfect smooth sailing or not.  Also, HAL and teenagers don't really go together well, unless you're going somewhere like Alaska.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:41 AM, Opie100 said:

We definitely prefer the Excel-class ships but prefer them for an unusual reason that won’t impact you.  My wife has a disability and requires an ADA cabin.  We also strongly prefer balconies.  Carnival’s older ships (pre-Vista) have very few ADA balconies; there are more of them on the Vista and Excel classes.

For that reason we are late coming to Carnival and only attained Platinum status last year.  But we really enjoy both the attitude of the crew and the entertainment options.  Mardi Gras in particular has great music on board.  They also mix a great drink😁.  The MDR food is only okay and the long lines can sometimes get annoying, but overall the Excel ships are our current favorite.  Decent value too, compared to RCL and NCL.

Hope that helps some.

Rich

2 hours ago, RLM77 said:

We definitely prefer the Excel-class ships but prefer them for an unusual reason that won’t impact you.  My wife has a disability and requires an ADA cabin.  We also strongly prefer balconies.  Carnival’s older ships (pre-Vista) have very few ADA balconies; there are more of them on the Vista and Excel classes.

For that reason we are late coming to Carnival and only attained Platinum status last year.  But we really enjoy both the attitude of the crew and the entertainment options.  Mardi Gras in particular has great music on board.  They also mix a great drink😁.  The MDR food is only okay and the long lines can sometimes get annoying, but overall the Excel ships are our current favorite.  Decent value too, compared to RCL and NCL.

Hope that helps some.

Rich

I am so glad to hear that there are more accessible cabins!  We recently made my workplace more accessible as well. We had an employee who was able to really help us see what we needed. Legal ADA accommodations are present of course but  I think there are so many things you don't realize would be helpful unless you are in those shoes.  I am fortunate that I don't need one for our family, but someday we might! Good news for you and your wife!

As I've said before, unless two ships are sailing in the same place, at the same time, going the same direction at the same speed, comparing environmentally induced motion between them is meaningless.

Also, the same ship sailing in a given location, at different times, can exhibit different behavior each time.

• Like 1