Jim_Iain - First Non-Celebrity Cruise in 22 year - Ponant vs Celebrity Comparison

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I knew there was a relationship between Paul Gauguin and Ponant but didn't realize they bought her.   Thy periodically do Paul Gauguin charters on Ponant much like Smithsonian. 

I'm always amazed and the wealth of knowledge here on CC.  

Yes.  The first time I heard about it was a couple years ago when I talked to the US Ponant head manager (I was discussing directly with her many aspects of my second Ponant cruise when it was booked and cancelled, and booked, and rescheduled, and so on 5 times with totally different itineraries!!!).  She told me at that time that Ponant is in progress of buying Paul Gauguin.

Edited by kirtihk

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure it will.   I wish they had scheduled time so that we could take the boat ride under the falls.    While very wet looks like fun.

If you won’t have time to do the boat ride, Journey Behind the Falls might be a good alternative if your schedule permits.  I have done this and it’s an incredible experience.  You won’t get any closer to the Falls than this!

https://www.niagarafallslive.com/journey_behind_the_falls.htm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

If you won’t have time to do the boat ride, Journey Behind the Falls might be a good alternative if your schedule permits.  I have done this and it’s an incredible experience.  You won’t get any closer to the Falls than this!

https://www.niagarafallslive.com/journey_behind_the_falls.htm

I did it a few times with relatives visiting us within last 32 years (since I moved to US from USSR).  We live 20 min drive from the Falls.

50 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks, but ... He.  My DW is Jazzbelle and I'm her 'beau.'

Ahh... Thanks for pointing out... that's the difficulty of Web Names.... Shall I refer to you as Beau?  LOL    Somehow I missed the difference in Jazzbell and Jazzbeau (well thought out). 

47 minutes ago, Pantheral said:

Once again happily following along on another of your adventures!

Excited you will be visiting our hometown of Milwaukee, if only briefly. Looks like we will be having some great weather for you over the weekend! Sooo much better that the 90s and high humidity we have had much of the last 2 weeks.

Your hotel in Milwaukee is nice and in a great location for you to explore. It is right on the Milwaukee riverwalk. 4 blocks north on 3rd st is the only remaining true old school German restaurant, Mader's, but there are many wonderful restaurants around the downtown area. 8 blocks east on Wisconsin avenue is the lakefront and the Milwaukee Art Museum with its one-of-a-kind addition designed by Santiago Calatrava. It has a winglike Brise Soleil, which is opened and closed daily at 10am and noon, weather permitting. 

Enjoy!

Thanks much for confirming.    I often find a hotel and then use Street View to virtually walk around the neighborhood to get a feel for the area.  

Mader's sounds fantastic but reading their menu I'm not sure we could even finish off one of their appetizers.    Surprisingly in Mt View where I go to daily on my walk has two German Restaurants --- albeit nowhere as interesting as what I've seen in Milwaukee.

The weather should be perfect for us.    We live in a very Mediterranean type climate with summers in the  75-80 F level with no humidity.    I have to admit I don't handle the humidity of Florida real well.  

41 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I do miss it, I lived in London until 25 but I spent my summers in Scotland. I used to love going back to London but my dad died when I was 14, my mum in 2017 and her brother in 2018. As an only child I don't have much left for London all my mum's family are in Scotland so that's where I go if not on a cruise. My dad was 48 when I was born so I don't really know much on his family other than he was the youngest of 7 and family came from Ireland. I'd like to do a cruise for UK and Ireland to go to places I've not been, especially Cork as that's where my dad's side is from.

We were in Cork earlier this year - overnight on one cruise and just a day on the second.    I really loved Cork but we probably the highlight of both cruises was Spike Island and the Prison.    The history of the prison is an incredible sad story.

We lived in Dublin for 3 years and the Irish are incredible people that are always welcoming and hospitable.

38 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Ponant gave us 75% refund for our Shmandemic cruise - 12-day March 8-20 on Le Soleal, Eastern Island to Tahiti that became cruise to nowhere and lasted extra 4 days until March 25.  That refund made us the next 13-day cruise free (from Nice to Istanbul).  On the first cruise food and Belgian Chef (actually, we became friends during long days and night cruising through South Pacific without any stops) were unbelievable!  Cheses were exceptional!  Fresh local fish (like moon fish) was stunning!  Every lunch was actually like a cooking demonstration at the pool side.  Beef tartar, fish, foie gras, and more - all prepared in front of you.

You are only exciting us more.    We both really love GOOD cheeses which is something we often don't find on Celebrity unless dining in Murano.   

The local fish are also something we will enjoy.   I hope they will feature some of the wonderful FRESH WATER fish of the great lakes.

Differences -

Celebrity does not often offer Fresh Local Fish and even when traveling in Europe only occasionally have a special offering of local cheese in the OVC.  I've never seen them serve them in Luminae.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texed said:

I had never heard of Ponant until they bought Paul Gauguin.

Years ago we were considering booking a Polynesia cruise on the Paul Gaugin, but decided against it because of poor reviews.

Last fall, before a NCL "Spirit" cruise of Polynesia, I went diving 2-days in Tahiti.  Some of my dive partners were from a HAL ship, two of whom were frequent travelers/cruisers to Polynesia.  They couldn't stop raving about the PG.  When I mentioned my research into the PG, they informed about the change of ownership and how they consider the PG to be nothing short of a 5 star experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ahh... Thanks for pointing out... that's the difficulty of Web Names.... Shall I refer to you as Beau?  LOL    Somehow I missed the difference in Jazzbell and Jazzbeau (well thought out). 

Most people on Cruise Critic call me Jazz.

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ ... but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You are only exciting us more.    We both really love GOOD cheeses which is something we often don't find on Celebrity unless dining in Murano.   

The local fish are also something we will enjoy.   I hope they will feature some of the wonderful FRESH WATER fish of the great lakes.

Differences -

Celebrity does not often offer Fresh Local Fish and even when traveling in Europe only occasionally have a special offering of local cheese in the OVC.  I've never seen them serve them in Luminae.

Perhaps, I may catch one and deliver it to the ship for you - he-he!!!

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Differences -

Cheses were not just good.  Some of them I've never tried.  The best one was (I forgot its name) looking like a ice-cream in a sphere cheese shape - it was melting in your mouth.  At first, I saw a French women put couple pounds of it on her plate after she finished her lunch and ate it within 10 min and smiled through the entire process.  Then I took it and realized why.  It was great (I took more after the first try, because I was warned that that cheese was available just during that lunch).  Black caviar event was also great.  PS.  In March this year we were on our first Seabourn cruise where caviar is available through entire ship for 24 hours at any place (you may just seat at the pool, request it, and they make a full serve of it with all proper accompanied settings to you like a king right on spot).

Edited by kirtihk

16 hours ago, Andi Land said:

I’m just on page one and have a lot to catch up with. So, forgive me if this has been mentioned.  I noticed you said Africa is in the bucket list. Holland America has a 73 day circle Africa cruise that leaves in October. Too late for this year I’m sure ☺️ But, I’m not sure how often they offer it. From what I’ve seen, it looks like every couple years. I have looked at it a few times as it’s also a dream cruise for me. Right now, not enough time and not enough money but hopefully one day. 

looking forward to your live review. I’ll work on catching up now. 

IMG_2719.jpeg

Wow, that itinerary has a lot going for it.  Will have to check it out.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Year ago (1969)  I was in Toronto with a Staff Member.   After our meetings I suggested we drive to Buffalo for our flight home and stop by to see Niagra Falls -   

Was really disappointing as they had diverted the waters and the American Falls were totally dry.  

That was the only time I have visited the falls when the American side was dry.  Glad to know it was 1969, on a family vacation with my parents.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Fantastic to have you along.    Were you away on a Cruise?    While it is always fun to be away It is always nice to get back to you own bed.

No not this time. We were on a land trip to Japan. One of our of our top destinations. Although very hot we thoroughly enjoyed our month there.

Wishing you and lain a great new adventure on Ponant!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I was looking at that itinerary last week!   HAL has some really nice long itineraries.  I guess I'm going to have to jump on a short HAL sailing to see if it's a match.  Only problem is the old ships that do these voyages don't do short Caribbean sailings.  I think one does Alaska which doesn't really interest as a cheap trial cruise as we live on the east coast.

Ships in that class seem to be like the M class which we do like.

Edited by wrk2cruise

@Jim_Iain just got back from our British isles 12 day cruise and almost done with all our unpacking laundry etc.  thrilled to follow along on your new adventure and that you are stopping at Mackinac island , on my bucket list.   Thanks for all your tips from your British ilse trip it helped us on our stops.  Missing the cooler weather.  Came back to socal heat last week    Counting down with you 🥳

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Most people on Cruise Critic call me Jazz.

You can call me Ray, or you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ ... but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!

Love it...  Ray or Jazz it will be.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Perhaps, I may catch one and deliver it to the ship for you - he-he!!!

Make sure you catch enough for 160 plus crew and I'm sure I can talk the Chef into preparing it.      When I see your boat pull alongside I will buy you a drink.

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

Cheses were not just good.  Some of them I've never tried.  The best one was (I forgot its name) looking like a ice-cream in a sphere cheese shape - it was melting in your mouth.  At first, I saw a French women put couple pounds of it on her plate after she finished her lunch and ate it within 10 min and smiled through the entire process.  Then I took it and realized why.  It was great (I took more after the first try, because I was warned that that cheese was available just during that lunch).  Black caviar event was also great.  PS.  In March this year we were on our first Seabourn cruise where caviar is available through entire ship for 24 hours at any place (you may just seat at the pool, request it, and they make a full serve of it with all proper accompanied settings to you like a king right on spot).

Black Cavier is something that you will also never see served on Celebrity -  Maybe a little here and there sprinkled on as a garnish.

I was watching a video and was amazed at the size of the plate of Caviar that was on their table.   I'm not that big of a fan of Caviar but may just learn that I like it more than I thought I would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I thought the same but wasn't sure about the 73 days.    I think our longest so far has been 6 weeks.   I would assume like with many "World Cruises" it can also be booked in segments.

I'll have to take a look but I have a feeling I may cringe a the price.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

That was the only time I have visited the falls when the American side was dry.  Glad to know it was 1969, on a family vacation with my parents.

It is hard to believe that was 54 years ago.

2 hours ago, expattraveler said:

No not this time. We were on a land trip to Japan. One of our of our top destinations. Although very hot we thoroughly enjoyed our month there.

Wishing you and lain a great new adventure on Ponant!

That is incredible.   Japan is really an amazing destination and we found it incredible easy to get around on their high speed railway.  

Did you have one area in particular you enjoyed the most?

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I was looking at that itinerary last week!   HAL has some really nice long itineraries.  I guess I'm going to have to jump on a short HAL sailing to see if it's a match.  Only problem is the old ships that do these voyages don't do short Caribbean sailings.  I think one does Alaska which doesn't really interest as a cheap trial cruise as we live on the east coast.

Ships in that class seem to be like the M class which we do like.

I will also be looking at HAL.  

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure it will.   I wish they had scheduled time so that we could take the boat ride under the falls.    While very wet looks like fun.

Maid of the Mist, great tour 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juanrod said:

@Jim_Iain just got back from our British isles 12 day cruise and almost done with all our unpacking laundry etc.  thrilled to follow along on your new adventure and that you are stopping at Mackinac island , on my bucket list.   Thanks for all your tips from your British ilse trip it helped us on our stops.  Missing the cooler weather.  Came back to socal heat last week    Counting down with you 🥳

Glad you enjoyed the British Isles Cruise.   Did you happen to make it to the Shetlands.

We have been very lucky this year as we watch the rest of the country suffering in the terrible heat.    We have had only a couple days of oppressive heat and most of the summer was in the 75-80 range.    I think I only switched on the AC twice.

Today it is sitting at 73 F with a nice breeze.