*LIVE* From the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska with Glacier Bay 9/03/2023

BirdTravels

48 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Birds can confirm that the lovely mascarpone bread at Ocean Blue is no more 😢. It has been replaced with a “rustic French bread”. 

IMG_9249.thumb.jpeg.c8699941bb70ecc06417266133c5359c.jpeg

The Birds quizzed the waiter, Maitre D, and the Executive Sous Chef of Ocean Blue and they all gave the “party line” that it was an evolution of Ocean Blue menu and not cost cutting…. 

Farewell mascarpone bread… we will miss you

IMG_9287.thumb.jpeg.32fa934ae5f5d0fe304adca8fe18393a.jpeg

An 'evolution' of the menu😦   

Seems like it wouldn't be that much of a cost savings but I guess they look at fleet-wide instead of a special detail that added enjoyment to our Ocean Blue experience.   (Now thinking back fondly on the original Bayamo menu....sigh....)

The delicious mascarpone bread was a favorite of ours and we will miss it too...

Thanks for following up with the Ocean Blue staff.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

An 'evolution' of the menu😦   

Seems like it wouldn't be that much of a cost savings but I guess they look at fleet-wide instead of a special detail that added enjoyment to our Ocean Blue experience.   (Now thinking back fondly on the original Bayamo menu....sigh....)

The delicious mascarpone bread was a favorite of ours and we will miss it too...

Thanks for following up with the Ocean Blue staff.  

We used to like the original Bayamo menu when it was still run by Iron Chef Jose Garces and it was a more Latin menu and not Ocean Blue under a different name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Farewell mascarpone bread… we will miss you

Agreed, we will miss you.  What a shame.  I'm sure my opinion will be in the minority, but, that one item was probably the highlight of our experience at Ocean Blue last November.

• Like 3

Welcome to Skagway. Due to the continued danger of rock slides, passengers are not allowed to walk on the dock and must take a free shuttle. When the ship first arrives, the lines are long (4200 passengers 20 people at a time). Shuttles to town beyond the dock are $5 all day (or it is a 3/4 mile stroll). The port has people stationed on the slide areas monitoring seismic activity, ready to sound the alarm. 

IMG_9356.jpeg

IMG_9343.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

So,,, while the dock shuttle in Skagway is a pain, Majestic Princess (who is in front of us) is using their tenders to move passengers 100 yards around the slide zone. Notice the British flag on the tender, the Majestic Princess flagged in London. 
IMG_9358.thumb.jpeg.e67c3d035f6e0239fe186d2bfb2fe202.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

We're sailing next week on our first cruise, nervous based on some of the recent reviews...

@BirdTravels I would love to see the current beer menu at District Brew House and what beers are available elsewhere, hoping to find decent craft beer since I'm more of a beer drinker than hard alcohol. Can I order beer at District and walk around? Thanks!