*LIVE* From the Norwegian Encore – 7-Night Alaska with Glacier Bay 9/03/2023

BirdTravels

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But,, those who paid a premium for large balconies, the balconies are still secured and unused as we sail Glacier Bay. 
IMG_9629.thumb.jpeg.b8c5f723a59d559a080b4ee0848ab406.jpeg

😬 This only applies to large balconies I  hope. They aren’t going to forbid me use of my wee regular balcony are they (pretty sheltered). 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, BirdTravels said:

One of the best shows at sea is the Choir  or Man. Prior to the show starting, the cast invites everyone onto the stage for a cup of beer with them. 
IMG_8953.jpeg.521853b482843fe38d431aceb9dafb4f.jpeg

Have seen them twice and look forward to seeing them again next year in Alaska on the Encore.

BTW, I always enjoy following your posts, Bird. Thank you.

On Glacier watching day, the Captain opens the bow to passengers. You enter on Deck 8 near the District Brewhouse. On the bow, the crew offer coffee, hot chocolate, juice, and tea,,, or adult coffees  Around 11:00, the crew offers some lovely salmon chowder while you are doing your glacier bay watching. 
IMG_9660.thumb.jpeg.93752cbf79947bfc94f28d8a4f70ccae.jpegIMG_9662.thumb.jpeg.f2e6fb95703f7e9de587a5db27eb17a1.jpeg
IMG_9663.thumb.jpeg.2a45fd01eb7ce24b7e91d1dfc7d88351.jpeg
IMG_9809.thumb.jpeg.bb8cfd87cafe516d3f06599759cc175e.jpegIMG_9803.thumb.jpeg.317c5b2df581769e1158a9f3893c3c10.jpegIMG_9664.thumb.jpeg.eba39282369d3025d9b231bdb6c1234e.jpeg

IMG_9665.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, durberville said:

😬 This only applies to large balconies I  hope. They aren’t going to forbid me use of my wee regular balcony are they (pretty sheltered). 

Despite The Bird’s “not-so-expert advice” to use you balcony to whale watch, The Bird’s wee balcony has been pretty unusable for most of the cruise due to wind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, surfclam2003 said:

@BirdTravels would you please post pic of Haven bar menu. Thanks. Trying to decide if upgrade beverage package worth it.

The Haven uses a standard bar menu. However, the bar is fully equipped to make the most exotic custom drinks. Paul is the head bartender along with MJ and they can preform magic. 

IMG_9879.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

IMG_9882.jpeg

IMG_9883.jpeg

IMG_9884.jpeg

IMG_9885.jpeg

23 hours ago, Betelgeuze said:

We're sailing next week on our first cruise, nervous based on some of the recent reviews...

@BirdTravels I would love to see the current beer menu at District Brew House and what beers are available elsewhere, hoping to find decent craft beer since I'm more of a beer drinker than hard alcohol. Can I order beer at District and walk around? Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

#1 advice is not to believe everything you read on the internet. Most of it is Fake News. The Bird cruises a half dozen times a year on NCL and Royal. And has a wonderful time on every cruise. The Bird does not dwell on little mistakes and errors. The world does not come to an end of The Bird asks for a lemon in a drink and gets a lime instead. 

The online District bar menu on the Encore is slightly different that the paper version (which is closer to what they really have in stock). So, here’s the paper version (which is harder to read (and upload). 

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

IMG_9836.jpeg

IMG_9837.jpeg

IMG_9839.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Bird. I am unfortunately a veteran of the internet, just new around here so I'm well aware of how things get blown out of proportion and other general negativity. I have found a big mix of reports and in general is seems people that go with the flow and are chill have a good time, people looking for things to complain about, find them.

Now my craft beer nerd is a little disappointed, I was hoping for some of that good PNW beer but from what I have seen this is one of the better lists of beer on a cruise ship. Can you grab a beer here and walk around or are you supposed to hang out? Is there much beer offered at other venues?

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your trip.

1 hour ago, Betelgeuze said:

Thanks Bird. I am unfortunately a veteran of the internet, just new around here so I'm well aware of how things get blown out of proportion and other general negativity. I have found a big mix of reports and in general is seems people that go with the flow and are chill have a good time, people looking for things to complain about, find them.

Now my craft beer nerd is a little disappointed, I was hoping for some of that good PNW beer but from what I have seen this is one of the better lists of beer on a cruise ship. Can you grab a beer here and walk around or are you supposed to hang out? Is there much beer offered at other venues?

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Grab two beers at a time and go. Or stay. See how many different beers you can try in a week (the ultimate goal is all). Beers really depend on what they can buy locally in bulk for their ships. 

7 hours ago, durberville said:

And don’t these balconies also have a sheltered area? Asking as someone who will be in one of those cabins in a couple of weeks. 😖

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisingcouple69 said:

Yeah, I’m wondering if I paid for a balcony for nothing.  

On our September Alaska cruise a year ago, we had a great time packing up on our last day and watching whales from our balcony on a warm & sunny day.   Earlier that week, we were bundled up in a cold drizzle on deck.  You never know what that weather will be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

On our September Alaska cruise a year ago, we had a great time packing up on our last day and watching whales from our balcony on a warm & sunny day.   Earlier that week, we were bundled up in a cold drizzle on deck.  You never know what that weather will be.

Thanks our first cruise to Alaska and our first on NCL. Have previously sailed Princess and Virgin. Appreciate your feedback. 

• Like 1

Thank you for all your efforts.  Can't wait unitl I go on my cruise in October.  Do you have copies of the breakfast and lunch menu's in the main dining rooms? Were they the same everyday?

Edited by debagk

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Bird cruises a half dozen times a year on NCL and Royal. And has a wonderful time on every cruise. The Bird does not dwell on little mistakes and errors. The world does not come to an end of The Bird asks for a lemon in a drink and gets a lime instead. 

Well said 😎

• Thanks 1

Glacier Bay was magical. Captain Gottberg skillfully maneuvered the ship to the face of the John Hopkins glacier. There was another cruise ship about a mile behind us as we entered Glacier Bay, so to deconflict our visits, we only got to one of our two intended major glaciers. Lots of smaller glaciers and waterfalls along the way… and even a whale along side the ship. 
IMG_9679.thumb.jpeg.c7fe05dd892d32878ee0921837520deb.jpegIMG_9690.thumb.jpeg.5e9059e0f9ccc71dae4111c4d59e6ae4.jpegIMG_9694.thumb.jpeg.d51533f37d313be45ef2967fdddb50d8.jpegIMG_9706.thumb.jpeg.9b497194013bcbc92514cda3dc3b202b.jpegIMG_9748.thumb.jpeg.0836f3f1956a651d8eba4e26913c96e6.jpeg

IMG_9711.jpeg

IMG_9712.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic pics, Bird. Where did you enjoy the best views? Balcony, Bow, Upper deck or OL.

We are travelling from the UK next week to join the Encore on the 17th.

Been following your trip report every day. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

The John Hopkins glacier is about 12 miles long. It is 1 mile wide as it enters the fjord and extends down about 200 feet under the surface of the water. The ship spend about an hour at the glacier (mostly because we were skipping the second glacier). 

During our stay, the glacier was actively calving which is amazing. Both big and small sections of the glacier breaking off and sliding into the water. 
IMG_9814.thumb.jpeg.57901e684d58896592d5bd8105bbc910.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 6