Still confused re. Classic vs. Premium drink packages

Jose Zalfadilla

OK, new to Celeb but not new to cruising. I’ve noticed a variety of posts and statements in 3rd party websites about the current Celeb drink packages and how they work. So, my question: If I buy the Classic and wish to order a drink that appears only in the Premium, do I pay the difference in the drink price for any and all drinks, i.e., liquor/spirits, beer, wine, cocktails, bottled water, plus the 20% gratuity – or – do I pay the full price of the drink selection as it appears listed on the Premium package? I have read that if one has the Classic and wants a drink from the Premium package, that one pays the difference in the price between the 2 packages only for liquor/spirits but must pay the full price listed on the Premium package for everything else. Plus the gratuity. Which is it?

2 minutes ago, Jose Zalfadilla said:

OK, new to Celeb but not new to cruising. I’ve noticed a variety of posts and statements in 3rd party websites about the current Celeb drink packages and how they work. So, my question: If I buy the Classic and wish to order a drink that appears only in the Premium, do I pay the difference in the drink price for any and all drinks, i.e., liquor/spirits, beer, wine, cocktails, bottled water, plus the 20% gratuity – or – do I pay the full price of the drink selection as it appears listed on the Premium package? I have read that if one has the Classic and wants a drink from the Premium package, that one pays the difference in the price between the 2 packages only for liquor/spirits but must pay the full price listed on the Premium package for everything else. Plus the gratuity. Which is it?

You pay only the difference plus the 20% gratuity on the difference. So $2 overlimit will net you a $2.40 bill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And, for non alcohol drinks you pay the full price…waters, smoothies etc. We had the Classic package on our last cruise and even with the additional charges for purchases over the classic limit we didn’t come close to what it would’ve cost to upgrade. Obviously that’s a variable depending on what and how much you drink however keep in mind that you can just go with the classic and paying the up charge for a few days and then see whether it would pay to upgrade. Some days we might’ve broke even and other days, especially port days we didn’t come close. Ymmv. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pay the difference +20% on liquor and wine.  Water, smoothies, Red Bull, etc  that are only on the premium package you pay the full price +20%.  
So if you want a Martini from the Martini Bar priced at $17 you would pay $7 + 20%, $14 glass of wine is $4 +  20%.

Want a 8oz bottle of Evian pay $4 +20%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OK, great! A lot different from my last few cruises where purchasing any and all drinks, i.e., all alcoholics, including beer, wine, liquor, plus water, smoothies, coffees, etc., from the top tier package, one only had to pay the difference in price plus gratuity.  Celeb will charge full price from the Premium package for all non-alcoholic drinks. Thanks all!

• Like 1

This looks like a good spot to post a request for clarification on what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Classic pkg. I know on my previous cruises the Classic pkg included soda, basic bottled water, and specialty coffees. However,  I’ve seen some recent posts questioning whether or not specialty coffees are or aren’t included - with references to pkg descriptions that seemed to differ (maybe on the cookiegate thread?)

I know some folks on recent cruises affirmed they could still get coffee at Al Bacio on the Classic pkg but I’m wondering if perhaps this is another new change about to be sprung on us?

I checked  both planner and website, searching for and reading all descriptions for classic pkg and none currently include any references to specialty coffees, teas, or waters. Plus the comparison doc for the packages seems to have been taken down. (I think it was this doc that folks had included as evidence that specialty coffee is included). 

If it turns out to be the case, I guess I’ll need to upgrade our drink package to premium for our upcoming November cruises. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaisyFire said:

This looks like a good spot to post a request for clarification on what non-alcoholic beverages are included in the Classic pkg. I know on my previous cruises the Classic pkg included soda, basic bottled water, and specialty coffees. However,  I’ve seen some recent posts questioning whether or not specialty coffees are or aren’t included - with references to pkg descriptions that seemed to differ (maybe on the cookiegate thread?)

I know some folks on recent cruises affirmed they could still get coffee at Al Bacio on the Classic pkg but I’m wondering if perhaps this is another new change about to be sprung on us?

I checked  both planner and website, searching for and reading all descriptions for classic pkg and none currently include any references to specialty coffees, teas, or waters. Plus the comparison doc for the packages seems to have been taken down. (I think it was this doc that folks had included as evidence that specialty coffee is included). 

If it turns out to be the case, I guess I’ll need to upgrade our drink package to premium for our upcoming November cruises. 

Just got off the Equinox. I got flavored lattes and an Americano at Al Bacio every day with the Classic package and it was included. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, after much looking around everywhere, in both blogs and 3rd party cruising articles, I discovered that the drinks my wife and I have preferred for many decades, basically since our college days, including liquor, wines, and beer, are all in the Premium package. Not that they're all 'premium' but that it is where Celeb has placed therm. By contrast, Princess (our last 12 cruises) has them all included in their lower tier package, which they call Princess Plus and is the one we always purchase, vs. their Premium Plus which is their higher one.  However, I just saw a 35% "flash sale" on the Celeb website for purchasing their Premium, so I cancelled our Classic and bought their discounted Premium for only $69.99/day/pp, less than their Classic at $89/day/pp.  All is well now!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, kittyraptors said:

Just got off the Equinox. I got flavored lattes and an Americano at Al Bacio every day with the Classic package and it was included. 

Thanks kittyraptors!  Crossing my fingers that this holds until we cruise in November!  My fear is that they are changing the online docs in preparation for another policy change. Their wording is very specific on the premium package that it is with THAT package that you can enjoy your favorite specialty coffees  - which makes me believe that there is a change coming - it just hasn't hit the ships yet.

• Like 1

Premium coffees are those without alcohol, such as lattes, cappuccino, Americans etc. Once you add alcohol they become specialty coffees and are only covered by the premium package, or by paying the difference plus 20% if you have the classic package. A few of the alcohol coffees are covered by classic package but most aren’t. Adding a shot of Baileys to your coffee adds a cost of $1.20 if you’re on the classic package. 

• Like 1

Not sure which terminology is correct. It looks like X uses both terms interchangeably… “premium coffee” in the premium drink pkg description and “specialty coffee” in the zero proof pkg.

Al Bacio calls coffee plus alcohol a “coffee cocktail”  As I stated earlier - there is no reference to coffee at all at this point for the Classic pkg. Which is weird/unsettling. 

Premium Drink Package

This versatile drinks package lets you start your morning with a premium coffee, enjoy a frozen cocktail by the pool, and then a glass of wine with dinner. Enjoy all the spirits listed in our Classic Package, plus drinks up to $17. Wines by the bottle are discounted by 20%.

Zero Proof Drink Package

Refresh with premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier, San Pellegrino, & Panna. Specialty Coffees & Organic Teas, Red Bull Energy Drink, Frozen Smoothies, Zero Proof Cocktails, Coca-Cola selections, offerings from Vitamin Water, Aqua Spa Fresh Juice, and Bottled Iced Teas. 

Thanks to a post on another page - I saw that the Classic pkg description that is available in the 'manage your cruise' page does list 'premium coffees' and non-premium bottled waters as included - so I took screen shots for both my upcoming cruises and will take the document with me - just in case. 

As for alcohol in your coffee - I think it depends on what the alcohol is.  Classic pkg spirits can be added to coffee and still be covered under the package.  Though Baileys is not on the classic pkg. - however Kahlua is.

• Like 2

If I am not a drinker of alcohol, but I enjoy virgin daquiris/pina coladas - are these covered at all by the non-alcohol package or would I need an alcohol package because of how the drink types are categorized? I don't mean the fruit smoothies that are pat of the premium package - just the run of the mill stuff that comes out of the carton behind the bar. 😂

• Like 1

It sounds like the zero-proof package is what you need. I have heard that Celebrity will swap the included classic pkg (from an AI booking) for the zero-proof package. And if you are planning to purchase a package, the zero-proof package is much cheaper. (List price $30 vs. $89).

Overview

Stay refreshed with this zero-alcohol drink package. Start your morning off right with a cup of premium coffee or tea and fresh juices. Stay hydrated with premium water or sodas and enjoy your evenings out with zero proof cocktails.

What's Included

• Premium Coffees
  • Premium Teas
  • Acqua Panna Water
  • Evian Water
  • San Pellegrino
  • Vitamin Water
  • Red Bull and Editions
  • Bottled Iced Teas
  • Sodas
  • Spa Café Fresh Juice
  • Like 1

I've only been with Celebrity for a year, but have been on 5 cruises with them, several with the package included. One thing that will surprise you is that drink prices are rather elevated, to not only persuade people to get a package, but also to convince you to upgrade. So a plain latte will be $5 or so, and the beer lists are all over the place, some classic, some premium, regardless of quality. The main thing to be aware of if you're coming from another line is that Celebrity will hard sell you everywhere to not only get the package, but also to upgrade your package to premium--in the cafe, the dining room, people randomly stopping passengers on embarkation day, and of course in bars. The basic wifi is also significantly throttled, also to make it so frustrating that you'll upgrade. I love most things about Celebrity, and I feel sorry for the crew who are urged to push packages and upgrades, but if I don't have a package, I don't even buy a coffee or drink until several days in the cruise, when they stop the spiels. They also evidently have a lot riding on survey ratings, since I'm routinely begged for a good rating by servers, and even buffet managers giving a speech on the final day, when they bring out all the cakes and goodies. I also found that the packages are so confusing that even servers gave me false information--when I had the zero-proof package a bartender told me my mocktail wasn't included on the package and that I needed to upgrade, but I told him to just swipe my card, and of course it was included--I wasn't sure if he was lying or not to trick me into upgrading, but the package description doesn't mention mocktails, so Celebrity itself is being evasive in not listing them as an option, in hopes you will upgrade. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rj59 said:

I also found that the packages are so confusing that even servers gave me false information--when I had the zero-proof package a bartender told me my mocktail wasn't included on the package and that I needed to upgrade, but I told him to just swipe my card, and of course it was included--I wasn't sure if he was lying or not to trick me into upgrading, but the package description doesn't mention mocktails, so Celebrity itself is being evasive in not listing them as an option, in hopes you will upgrade. 

Thank you for chiming in - this was exactly the type of information I was seeking!

3 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I think the card is your Sea Pass card (room key card)

I get it, thanks! So, Celeb doesn't have one of those apps that are downloaded into a wearable medallion or to a smart phone that will unlock/lock cabin door as you approach it or walk away from it?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jose Zalfadilla said:

What happens if a drink you like, say a beer, Guiness, sells for $8.00 (last time I checked) but is available only in the Premium drink package. If you have the Classic, do you then pay full price for the beer?

That can't happen with alcoholic drinks, the price alone determines which package it is in, and if it is over your package price you just pay the difference + 20%.

It is only non-alcoholic drinks where they are either in your package or you have to pay full price. So still water in a can is in the classic package, sparkling water is not included so you have to pay full price even though that may only be $5.+20%

Edited by Mark_T
  • Thanks 1