Eastern Seaboard Cruise - Help with Boston port stop

Suzanneab

I have read but can’t confirm that Viking runs a shuttle bus from the port to the Boston Aquarium.  For those of you that have experience with this cruise, can you please confirm

- that there is such a shuttle

- is it free

- approximate schedule/frequency

Many thanks

I can't speak for now, but on this cruise in 2018 the shuttle ran about every 30 minutes and picked up/dropped off at the highlighted corner below. No charge.  BTW, it's also where the water taxi stop is that you can take over to a stop that is a very short walk to the USS Constitution.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

We were on this itinerary in July and yes there was a complementary shuttle bus that ran to the aquarium on a very regular basis I think every 30 minutes and we used it ourselves.

One thing to mention is that it cannot park at the aquarium for much longer than a few minutes so when it arrives passengers board and it’s off immediately so you need to be there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

As long as you can get to a MBTA stop, you can use go anywhere.  There are lots of interesting places to see in Boston.  Have fun.

We visit Boston frequently and use the T to go pretty much everywhere. Of course there are many historical spots and sports venues, but if art is of interest I highly recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The setting alone is worth the visit!

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.jpg

• Like 5

On 9/10/2023 at 5:41 PM, lackcreativity said:

We visit Boston frequently and use the T to go pretty much everywhere. Of course there are many historical spots and sports venues, but if art is of interest I highly recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. The setting alone is worth the visit!

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.jpg

Until the grandson  arrived, DD volunteered at the Gardner.  This courtyard is the very spot where my son-in-law proposed to her.  So, I agree that it is a fabulous small museum.  

If you don't want to wander so far a field and you love history, three don't miss stops are USS Constitution, Old North Church and Paul Revere House.  Shuttle to Aquarium. Water taxi to USS Constitution.  Walk back to Old North Church and then continue walkong through the North End to Paul Revere.  Stop for cannoli at either Mike's Bakery or Modern Bakery along the way.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I always recommend a stop to see the Glass Flowers at the Harvard Museum of Natural History. They are absolutely amazing and you will not find them anywhere else in the world. So realistic they will take your breath away! 

https://hmnh.harvard.edu/glass-flowers

Agreed.  They are amazing.  But if they are a must see, make it part of a full day visit to the Harvard campus focusing on all of the museums.  Taking public transit from the Aquarium to Harvard or even taxi or Uber, is time consuming just to spend an hour or so at one museum. 

In other words, you can't see everything in one day, so pick one area and focus on it. Else you may find that you have spent more time in traffic than seeing the sights.  

OR, leave the driving to an expert.  If you want to see a variety of places, check out the Duck Boats or one of the hop-on-hop-off companies.  Duck Boats are amphibious and thus include a short cruise on the Charles River.  

I have more suggestions but have to go cook dinner. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Until the grandson  arrived, DD volunteered at the Gardner.  This courtyard is the very spot where my son-in-law proposed to her.  So, I agree that it is a fabulous small museum.

Looking forward to taking our Boston grandson to the Gardner. However, since he is still three weeks away from his first birthday, I guess I will have to wait awhile! Thanks for sharing your happy memory of this spectacular place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

I always recommend a stop to see the Glass Flowers at the Harvard Museum of Natural History. They are absolutely amazing and you will not find them anywhere else in the world. So realistic they will take your breath away! 

https://hmnh.harvard.edu/glass-flowers

Yes, yes!! I forgot about these. We visited on our first trip to Boston, and then returned some years later after the flowers had been cleaned and the display updated. Very much worth the trip.

• Like 1

Depending on your interests, the Boston Museum of Science is  excellent. The Boston Freedom Trail is also a good option for history buffs. 

I've done the duck boats, and the tour is pretty 'shallow' (don't mind the pun). Kind of fun, but you could do better, IMHO.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, lackcreativity said:

Yes, yes!! I forgot about these. We visited on our first trip to Boston, and then returned some years later after the flowers had been cleaned and the display updated. Very much worth the trip.

Before they were cleaned. I haven't been back since.

August, 2004 The glass flowers (2).jpg

• Like 1