Viking air one way?

midwife

We are taking the Voyage of Marco Polo in March’25, from Bangkok to Athens.  We have never used Viking air so we have a few questions. For clarification we are coming from Australia. 
1. Can we do a one way fare with Viking? 
2. Do we have to use Viking air to get transfers to/from the port? 
I’m sure there will be other questions but this is a start.😂

1) I have never heard of one way air.

2) If you fly on the same day as embarkation / disembarkation you can purchase a transfer from Viking without Viking Air.  If you purchase a pre or post trip extension from Viking, it includes airport transpiration to/from the hotel.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

2) If you fly on the same day as embarkation / disembarkation you can purchase a transfer from Viking without Viking Air.  If you purchase a pre or post trip extension from Viking, it includes airport transpiration to/from the hotel.

Thanks for your reply. We have lots of point with Emirates which we can use to get home. Might be worth booking our own flight and purchasing transfers. Will they transfer from a hotel or only the airport? 

4 minutes ago, midwife said:

Thanks for your reply. We have lots of point with Emirates which we can use to get home. Might be worth booking our own flight and purchasing transfers. Will they transfer from a hotel or only the airport? 

The same day airport transfer is only from the ship to airport and vice-versa. It is not designed for people who make their own hotel arrangements for additional time pre-post cruise. Your flights must arrive/leave the same day as the cruise begins/ends.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midwife said:

We are taking the Voyage of Marco Polo in March’25, from Bangkok to Athens.  We have never used Viking air so we have a few questions. For clarification we are coming from Australia. 
1. Can we do a one way fare with Viking? 
2. Do we have to use Viking air to get transfers to/from the port? 
I’m sure there will be other questions but this is a start.😂

Yes, you can do a one-way fare with Viking, although there might be restrictions from Australia. We got “free” air on our Saturn cruise in July—Bergen to Reykjavik and paid the extra for Premium Economy & Air Plus. Turns out, though, that there is no PE on flights out of KEF to US cities, so we just did the air to Bergen (Seattle to Amsterdam to Bergen), and Viking refunded half our upgrade fee. We then booked Saga Class on Icelandair out of KEF to get home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

But you must submit a transfer request no less than 30 days out - so they know when/ where to find you.

• Thanks 1

We did one way air when they were offering "free" as Viking would only provide it from the US.  We were in Japan and had hoped they would pay for the flight to China before the cruise and then home from Hong Kong after disembarking.  They would not, but they did "give"us the air back to the US. 

If you elect to book your own air and arrive and depart on embarkation/disembarkation day, you can usually pre-purchase a transfer. They typically are $49 pp.  Our experience has been that we can usually find a more comfortable transfer for less money.  
YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

We often piggyback our cruise with my husband's business travel.

Once he had a work meeting in Poland so met me in Oslo for our pre-cruise extension. I wanted to get in a day early to explore a bit with him so Viking was not going to transport me to the hotel anyway. So work paid to get him to Oslo and we used points to get me to Oslo.

We used Viking Air to get home.

For our next Mediterranean trip, we want to spend 3 nights in Barcelona on our own. So we are flying in early on our own and using Viking to get us home from their Tuscan Villa Extension.

You when you book your cruise go ahead and let them add Viking Air. If you decide to fly on your own they return that portion of your fee. 

• Thanks 1