How Long Will it Take to Disembark on Port Stop in Lisbon?

aussiegirl

We are sailing on the Oosterdam in November and will have a port-of-call in Lisbon on Sunday, November 5th.  The ship is scheduled to dock at 10am and we'd like to get going as soon as possible as we want to do a self-tour to Sintra for the day.  Can you tell me when we can expect to be able to disembark?  (I assume that it's not a tender port, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.)  Thank you for any guidance you can give me so that I can plan our day. 

Lisbon is a docking port with several different docking locations (all within the city).  Ships are generally cleared in about 20 minutes (after the gangway is in place) and there will than be an announcement that the ship has been cleared and passengers can proceed ashore.  As to a self tour to Sintra, we assume you will want to take the train which means you must get to the Rossio Station and buy tickets.  We have sometimes encountered a long queue at the station (for tickets) but we would assume that in November (outside of the tourist season) you should have a very short wait.

Depending on your docking position it is possible to walk to the train station (that can take at least a half hour) or you can try to grab a taxi to save some time.

Hank

We are on the same cruise, and we should be at the pier.  They will allow people to leave the ship as soon as it is cleared, though they may give people with HAL tours priority.  We are also wanting to get moving quickly that morning, but we will not be in a mad rush if we are asked to wait.  Sometimes ships can arrive early into port, and usually every effort is made to allow passengers on and off quickly.

2 hours ago, aussiegirl said:

We are sailing on the Oosterdam in November and will have a port-of-call in Lisbon on Sunday, November 5th.  The ship is scheduled to dock at 10am and we'd like to get going as soon as possible as we want to do a self-tour to Sintra for the day.  Can you tell me when we can expect to be able to disembark?  (I assume that it's not a tender port, but please let me know if I'm mistaken.)  Thank you for any guidance you can give me so that I can plan our day. 

We were there April 10th - ship arrived at 10 AM - cleared at 10:26 AM  - We did a Sintra Tour using Tours by Locals - Great time- Not a tender port - fast disembark.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

ship arrived at 10 AM - cleared at 10:26 AM 

You crack me up Pete!  The ship cleared at 10:26 AM.  Do you keep track of this stuff for your blog or do you just happen to have a time stamped picture of you walking off the ship??

I'm teasing you, but your information is exactly what the OP was looking for!!!  Yay Pete!

~Nancy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oakridger said:

You crack me up Pete!  The ship cleared at 10:26 AM.  Do you keep track of this stuff for your blog or do you just happen to have a time stamped picture of you walking off the ship??

I'm teasing you, but your information is exactly what the OP was looking for!!!  Yay Pete!

~Nancy

My wife documents everything very carefully - It is helpful when I need to write my blog.  😀

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 2

Two possible ports in Lisbon, one relatively convenient to the Sintra train station; the other way out in an industrial port. So getting off the ship may not be the real issue for your planned excursion; but where you are getting off the ship.  

When we did this same DIY Sintra excursion we found it troubling to deal with young people high on drugs on the train. That was a problem in Portugal a few years ago. Don't know if things are better now or not. 

7 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

When we did this same DIY Sintra excursion we found it troubling to deal with young people high on drugs on the train. That was a problem in Portugal a few years ago. Don't know if things are better now or not. 

Can you elaborate about the train?  Were there people being violent or stealing from other passengers? (Like on BART here in the Bay Area) Was there open drug use/shooting up/smoking?  Did you feel unsafe?

I have not heard any reports about Portugal, but haven't looked at anything recently since my June 2020 tip there was cancelled.  I plan on going to Lisbon hopefully within the next couple of years so am interested to hear more on this.

Thanks,

~Nancy

RE: Drugged teens on the Sintra train - they were more spaced out and just got into our own spaces - leering in and out,  and just not with it. Like they were seeing things, that were not there.   Not violent, no stealing. Just uncomfortable. Don't think there was any conductor on the  trains. More like unattended commuter train.  And it was a weekend,  so the teens were out in groups. 

This was several years ago, so good to do a search on Portugal's current drug policies, because  I see they are starting to reform their prior more lax policies.  There are pick pockets galore on and around the very quaint historic trams in Lisbon, mainly because they are primarily tourist draws.  Normal precautions apply. 

Do look for the Portuguese egg tarts in Sintra. Yum. 

Very recent article about Portugal's drug policy concerns - WaPo - 2023

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/07/07/portugal-drugs-decriminalization-heroin-crack/

Edited by OlsSalt

@OlsSalt thank you for responding.  Before I go I will look into the safety issue more closely.  I have heard about pickpockets in many places around the world and we all need to be aware of our surroundings.  I hope our public transit system someday gets back to a safe place like it was when I commuted to work many years ago.  I used to take public transit around San Francisco just for fun sometimes.  Sadly, not now.  I hope Portugal has nipped any problems in the bud!

Yes, definitely the egg tarts!!  😁

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

On 9/10/2023 at 2:15 PM, OlsSalt said:

Two possible ports in Lisbon, one relatively convenient to the Sintra train station; the other way out in an industrial port. So getting off the ship may not be the real issue for your planned excursion; but where you are getting off the ship.  

ROFL.  You live in California and you are talking about young people high on a train in Lisbon?  That certainly makes my day 🙂

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  You live in California and you are talking about young people high on a train in Lisbon?  That certainly makes my day 🙂

Hank

What is the point of mocking travel safety advice when someone is planning a DIY trip to Sintra?

5 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

What is the point of mocking travel safety advice when someone is planning a DIY trip to Sintra?

OMG!  We have been in Portugal many times and have never been concerned with our safety other than being hit by a bus or tram.  Like in most tourist destinations folks should always take basic precautions against pick pockets/purse snatcher.