Carnival Stock?

Momma Mojito

The information is on the Carnival Corporation website - not the Princess cruises website.

You can ignore the dates. The Board of Directors approves this benefit one year at a time, but they always approve it in time for the next year. For people in the US, you can apply anytime after you book.

Edited by NavyVeteran
  • Like 3

For my upcoming cruise in November I sent en email to: sbpcl@princesscruises.com. In the body of the email I included my booking number, date of sailing, and attached a copy of brokerage statement showing my carnival stock. I checked my booking a couple of hours later and it was already showing the OBC for my cruise. 

• Like 3

I was actually going to buy CCL stock just to get this benefit.  I recently learned Princess longer combines the Carnival shareholder OBC with Military OBC.  I cannot imagine who decided this was a good idea since there are completely different rationales for having earned each award.  Honoring someone's past service should not be conflated with a benefit that can be bought.  I will pass on the Carnival stock and gladly keep the benefit my husband earned the hard way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

I was actually going to buy CCL stock just to get this benefit.  I recently learned Princess longer combines the Carnival shareholder OBC with Military OBC.  I cannot imagine who decided this was a good idea since there are completely different rationales for having earned each award.  Honoring someone's past service should not be conflated with a benefit that can be bought.  I will pass on the Carnival stock and gladly keep the benefit my husband earned the hard way!

If you own the stock then you can get the OBC from ownership while your husband can get the military OBC.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

If you own the stock then you can get the OBC from ownership while your husband can get the military OBC.

I am a veteran and my wife is not. I just transferred Carnival stock out of my Roth IRA to a joint account with my wife. Unfortunately, I can't take a tax loss, since the stock was in an IRA, but at least I didn't have to pay tax on the cash dividends I received. After transferring the stock to joint ownership, I sent an email from my wife to Princess asking for the shareholder benefit on three future cruises I had booked after the change. The OBC was added within a day of the email.

This change does not affect all veterans, since shareholder OBC has always been one per cabin. It affects veteran singles (who can no longer get both OBCs) and dual veteran couples (who can no longer get three OBCs). It is only an administrative inconvenience to couples with only one veteran (since we still get the same two OBCs). Considering the relatively small number of people it would affect, in my opinion the cost savings to Princess are insignificant compared to the bad publicity.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, c-boy said:

" Ha!  Who knew?  Now I just have to convince DH to let me be the one who owns it!  Thank you!😀."

😄    👍 

You and DH can own the stock jointly. You don't have to be the sole owner. DW and I now own the stock jointly, and there was no problem getting her the OBC.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

It is very unfortunate that Princess has done that however you may still get the Shareholder credit if you don’t also have the Military benefit…at least at the moment.  I applied for and received the Shareholder credit and hubby has the Military credit.  It is a big loss for couples who both served.

1 minute ago, jeeper2 said:

It is very unfortunate that Princess has done that however you may still get the Shareholder credit if you don’t also have the Military benefit…at least at the moment.  I applied for and received the Shareholder credit and hubby has the Military credit.  It is a big loss for couples who both served.

Oops…all ready explained!   That’s what I get for not reading ALL the responses!  

11 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

I am a veteran and my wife is not. I just transferred Carnival stock out of my Roth IRA to a joint account with my wife. Unfortunately, I can't take a tax loss, since the stock was in an IRA, but at least I didn't have to pay tax on the cash dividends I received. After transferring the stock to joint ownership, I sent an email from my wife to Princess asking for the shareholder benefit on three future cruises I had booked after the change. The OBC was added within a day of the email.

This change does not affect all veterans, since shareholder OBC has always been one per cabin. It affects veteran singles (who can no longer get both OBCs) and dual veteran couples (who can no longer get three OBCs). It is only an administrative inconvenience to couples with only one veteran (since we still get the same two OBCs). Considering the relatively small number of people it would affect, in my opinion the cost savings to Princess are insignificant compared to the bad publicity.

My wife and I are both veteran's and own CCL.  This left a really bad taste in or mouth.  Was it really worth it to Princess to take this benefit away and also lose our goodwill?  We never looked at other cruise lines before but our loyalty to Princess has been damaged because they somehow choose to go cheap on probably a small group of passengers for no apparent reason? Especially when they seem to be giving away everything and the kitchen sink with their new All- Inclusive packages.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 2

Many thanks to all in this thread who have served - the nation and indeed the world is in your debt. 

I wholeheartedly agree that this hits couples who both honored the US hard, and the change is an unfortunate sign of the times.  After reading all this, I will refrain from the stock purchase on principle at this time.  

On 9/14/2023 at 11:44 PM, rich_cathybrock said:

I was actually going to buy CCL stock just to get this benefit.  I recently learned Princess longer combines the Carnival shareholder OBC with Military OBC. 

Same!  I had asked our broker to buy 100 shares of Carnival stock, but was able to stop him when I learned that it couldn't be combined with the military benefit.

5 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

Same!  I had asked our broker to buy 100 shares of Carnival stock, but was able to stop him when I learned that it couldn't be combined with the military benefit.

It cannot be combined if you are a single or a two-veteran couple. If you are a couple with only one veteran, then it can still be combined.

• Like 1