On Splendor Now

pappy1022

On 9/21/2023 at 6:35 PM, hamasgirl said:

My husband and I left Splendor on 7/31 and we both tested positive for COVID the next day when we arrived home.  In addition my husband experienced additional symptoms which surely indicated norovirus.  On our cruise, the crew often wore face masks which they quickly removed when they started interacting with the passengers.  And one of the shows had to be postponed until the entertainers had recovered.

So I would suggest that both COVID and norovirus have circulated on Splendor for several weeks.  Yes we frequently washed our hands and always used the hand sanitizers before entering any public space.  But we didn’t wear our masks which we probably should have.

No, for several years.  I was on Splendor last December, so I know.  To clarify: this is a sardonic comment.  C'est la vie.

Voyage, Voyage!

We had the initial Pfizer vaccination then all the follow up boosters.  On Mariner this past spring, there were a good number of Covid cases with slim to none information provided by onboard management as to what was taking place.

We, as passengers, could surmise there was an ongoing outbreak as passengers would disappear for a week then reappear wearing masks, crew members did the same (our cabin steward and butler were infected and replaced).  We contracted Covid twice onboard...how and from where, who knows?

As above, Covid is everywhere all over the world so take precautions.  We cruise in close proximity with others all day long - elevators, bars, tour buses.  As its an airborne virus, hand sanitizers offer no defense (for hygienic reasons its prudent to use Purell and wash your hands regularly).

Part of our assumption of risk when taking a cruise.  You hope for only the best... 

And now ……. My wife has tested positive for COVID with the symptoms starting a day after we left the Splendor. No GI issues. She has a headache, low grade fever, cough and nasal drainage. Very much like a bad cold but she was tested and it’s COVID. Fortunately, COVID is a lot different disease for most than it was at the beginning of this pandemic. So cruisers beware. It is out there and it is spreading.

I believe airports are where most pick it up or give it to others. Then when people get on a ship……….there ya go! I will always wear a mask in an airport or even on a plane (if in economy) for the rest of my days. Something we just have to live with; but hopefully using common sense. 

• Thanks 1

We were very careful the entire time including in the airport, the plane and the ship. One of the attributes of COVID is that it is airborne and very, very contagious. Thankfully, it has mutated to the point where it is not as severe but people are dying every day from COVID. So yes, we have to take precautions, isolate if we get sick and realize that it is here to stay.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

I believe airports are where most pick it up or give it to others. Then when people get on a ship……….there ya go! I will always wear a mask in an airport or even on a plane (if in economy) for the rest of my days. Something we just have to live with; but hopefully using common sense. 

What does being in economy have to do with it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

What does being in economy have to do with it? 

Often people are crammed in close together. People are basically breathing right into your personal space. I also find that if I wear a mask for preventative measures, people have a tendency to be more conscientious about getting too close. Very courteous.

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

We were very careful the entire time including in the airport, the plane and the ship. One of the attributes of COVID is that it is airborne and very, very contagious. Thankfully, it has mutated to the point where it is not as severe but people are dying every day from COVID. So yes, we have to take precautions, isolate if we get sick and realize that it is here to stay.

Hope your wife gets well soon. May you stay virus free. 

1 hour ago, Gray Lady said:

Often people are crammed in close together. People are basically breathing right into your personal space. I also find that if I wear a mask for preventative measures, people have a tendency to be more conscientious about getting too close. Very courteous.

I’m wondering, how’s your “ personal space” defined? Has it been defined? Really,if you’re bothered by any of this a cruise is not for you. And I don’t mean just because of Covid, I mean because there have always been communicable diseases on cruises. If I get a bad cold , Covid, or whatever on my upcoming Splendor cruise I’m not planning to come here and making a big announcement, it’s nobody’s business 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I’m wondering, how’s your “ personal space” defined? Has it been defined? Really,if you’re bothered by any of this a cruise is not for you. And I don’t mean just because of Covid, I mean because there have always been communicable diseases on cruises. If I get a bad cold , Covid, or whatever on my upcoming Splendor cruise I’m not planning to come here and making a big announcement, it’s nobody’s business 

Personally, I don’t like to feel other people’s breath on my face. I was a school teacher, so I am very used to being close to others…especially young ones with all of their coughs, runny noses, and sneezes. I didn’t breathe on them and positioned myself so they didn’t breathe on me. My immune system is fairly robust. Common sense and common courtesy when coughing or sneezing is all anyone should ask for. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Personally, I don’t like to feel other people’s breath on my face. I was a school teacher, so I am very used to being close to others…especially young ones with all of their coughs, runny noses, and sneezes. I didn’t breathe on them and positioned myself so they didn’t breathe on me. My immune system is fairly robust. Common sense and common courtesy when coughing or sneezing is all anyone should ask for. 

Never been in that situation, sounds unpleasant 

24 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

But airports (and airlines) are extremely crowded. So it stands to reason that air travel to the ship could be a major cause of Covid (and other diseases) onboard. 

It's counter-intuitive, of course, but actually it's not.  In the early days of Covid, one of the U.S. universities (Johns Hopkins maybe?) borrowed two aircraft from United (which were sitting on the ground, doing nothing) and set up a series of scientific tests.  I'm quoting from memory so stand to be corrected here.  They set up a dummy on a seat spewing micro particles just like the Covid virus and then located dectectors around the seat in various locations.  Then they moved the dummy to a different seat and did it again.  And again.  Then they took the aircraft to 35,000 feet and did it again.  Turns out your chances of catching Covid on a flight are very slim.  The air comes in above you and is extracted at floor level by your feet so the air current is downwards and the particles did not spread through the cabin.  As for airports, however, that would be a different story I'm sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Interesting information. Actually I’m most concerned about the airports, not the planes. It is easy to mask up on the plane. We do. Not so when dragging carry-ons around in an over crowded airport that was built for passenger traffic 30 or more years ago, and is crowded more by delayed flights.