Transport from London to Southhampton cruise terminal

Flymama45

5 hours ago, Flymama45 said:

Any suggestions for best, most efficient way for 4 passengers with luggage to get to the Southhampton terminal from central London?

Depends on your budget. Most efficient would be a private transfer but that would cost somewhere between £150-200.

The train would be cheaper if booked in advance but you’d need to haul your luggage on and off and there’s no dedicated space for it.

Or there’s the National Express coach from Victoria which runs hourly and is probably easier with luggage but is slower.

Edited by gumshoe958

mskaufman: May I ask about your transfer with the stop at Windsor, you mentioned the estimate £150-200 was pretty accurate. But I was curious about your transfer, as I was thinking Windsor Castle was in the wrong direction from Southamptonfor us if we were staying in central/tourist area of London? Or maybe there was a Windsor town you stopped in? My original hope had been to arrive at Heathrow 2 days before the cruise, just because we are coming from the west most part of the U.S. In case of unexpected delays, not worth the stress. Staying out near Heathrow to visit Windsor Castle did not seem the best solution either as it was possibly easier to get to from London hotels than Heathrow hotels. But such a puzzle, Victoria Station area for the National Express to arrive in Southampton the night before sailing? Or Paddington station area- I would love to know how you worked out a visit to Windsor before Southampton if you wouldn't mind sharing? Or if anyone has a suggestion, we'll be there in June. We'll do a week in London post cruise but I was really hoping to blow my teen grandsons mind with his first ever visit to a castle. It's spectacular and was my first decades ago.

Windsor is ten miles west of Heathrow.  You can visit easily.

Option 1 - go direct from Heathrow to Windsor (short taxi ride) and stay there for the first night.  Then head into central London for the next day.

Option 2 - stay in central London, visit Windsor as a (most of a) day trip.  It's a really easy and cheap (about an hour) trip by train.  Train fare is £9.50 each way (or £14.10 in weekday rush hour), don't buy a ticket, you simply tap a credit card (or smartphone / smartwatch) on the platform gates to get in and same one on exit.

6 hours ago, T-2 said:

I was thinking Windsor Castle was in the wrong direction from Southamptonfor us if we were staying in central/tourist area of London? Or maybe there was a Windsor town you stopped in

I found your long post a little hard to follow, but yes, the town is called Windsor and Windsor Castle is pretty much right in it. It's not too far out of the way to call at on a London -Southampton transfer - you are heading generally west anyway.

6 hours ago, T-2 said:

I would love to know how you worked out a visit to Windsor before Southampton if you wouldn't mind sharing

If taking a private transfer, this is surely as simple as asking for a quote to include a stop in Windsor?

8 hours ago, T-2 said:

. We'll do a week in London post cruise but I was really hoping to blow my teen grandsons mind with his first ever visit to a castle. It's spectacular and was my first decades ago.

Post cruise, I took International Friends with a pick up at Southampton dock with a stop at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor before being dropped off at the door of our London hotel.

They also go on embarkment days with pick up at certain London and LHR hotels with a stop at Stonehenge before being dropped off at Southampton dock.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank everyone for their kindness with my question, maps are a real struggle for me so I tend to rely on text. Reading of everyones arrival at HRW, maybe doing a day or two in London before heading to Southampton I mistakenly thought it was all in the same direction. I knew Windsor was supposed to be near HRW area more than London. What a shock to realize my misconceptions- it makes perfect sense to find a private transfer that would allow us to visit the castle on our way to Southampton. I cannot believe how badly I mis-imagined that- humble and deep appreciation, and very excited to know how doable this will be :0)  

3 hours ago, T-2 said:

it makes perfect sense to find a private transfer that would allow us to visit the castle on our way to Southampton

That’s just one of the many options you have. As mentioned it’s a really easy day trip from London, which would be a more economical way of doing it!

Just to say, HRW is not widely used as an abbreviation for Heathrow. More common is its airport code, LHR. 

LHR it is, I hadn't done air yet, wanted to be sure of our dates of accomodations around the cruise. You have me rethinking, instead of counting it as an hour away from London, that it's easy to get to from London makes sense, thank you. Wasn't sure it was worth traveling further away from it for only one night and then the one night in Southampton, Just really want to blow his mind with his first view of England, there is nothing like it on our side of the pond.