Venice to Ravenna Shuttle Info

5thgirl

57 minutes ago, jjjandkk said:

What are the options for getting from the Revenna port to Venice, (not the airport, as we are spending a few days there before returning home).  The only train schedule I see is 8:45 departure from Revenna and we are unfamiliar with the area.  Does RCCL have a bus to Venice?  

Yes, they do.  RCCL offers shuttles to the airport and to the Tronchetto People Mover station, where you can ride the People Mover over to Piazzale Roma and then use whatever transit you wish to use to get to the rest of Venice.  

Review the other threads on this topic.  They may be further down the list.  There were posts with images of the shuttle bus schedule posted over the Spring and Summer. 

2 hours ago, jjjandkk said:

What are the options for getting from the Revenna port to Venice, (not the airport, as we are spending a few days there before returning home).  The only train schedule I see is 8:45 departure from Revenna and we are unfamiliar with the area.  Does RCCL have a bus to Venice?  

It did in September '22. You could go to the airport or Venice. Same price.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at May/June 2024 but i cannot find train schedules or tickets for the Vencie to Ravenna portion, nor for the Ravenna to Rome (we are going to Rome after the cruise). Any ideas?  Have they not released the train schedules for those times/dates?

8 hours ago, dmead516 said:

Looking at May/June 2024 but i cannot find train schedules or tickets for the Vencie to Ravenna portion, nor for the Ravenna to Rome (we are going to Rome after the cruise). Any ideas?  Have they not released the train schedules for those times/dates?

try the Trenitalia website.  They have schedules and tickets available May/June 2024

28 minutes ago, dmead516 said:

Looks like they dont go from ravenna. is that correct? Closest is bologna.

To get from Ravenna to Rome by train, you will need to make at least one transfer. Most frequent route would be a Regional (slower, local) train from Ravenna to Bologna, then a fast train (look for options that start with "Frecce") from Bologna to Rome.

I put in a random date next month to give you an idea of trains leaving in the morning from Ravenna:

image.thumb.png.fa7d99cbd7535df037c101c0d50044c5.png 

Options 1, 3, and 4 are the better choices (with the Frecce train). If you buy your tickets farther in advance, prices are cheaper.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dmead516 said:

Thanks. We are looking to go from the cruise port in Ravenna to Rome.  Where did you get these times/prices?

I used the trenitalia.com website

If you're looking too far in the future, the schedule may not show up yet. But train schedules do not tend to change much season after season.

For the post-cruise leg from ship to Rome:

You'll need to transfer from the ship to a train station like Ravenna's or Bologna Centrale.  The ship will likely have coach transfers to Ravenna's train station for about $15 per person or Bologna Centrale for about $35 pp.  Taxis are an option but very limited.  There is a public bus stop nearby but I don't think it's a reasonable option with luggage.  

At the Ravenna train station, as cruisemom42 indicates, there is a local commuter train that runs hourly to Bologna (the TTPER trains on the list) and costs about 8E pp.  When we were planning our June 2023 cruise, for some reason (??) we had trouble seeing all the scheduled TTPER trains on the Trenitalia website but they were running.  We just booked this segment (between Bologna and Ravenna both directions) while we were in Italy.  The railcars had two levels and seemed to have a lot of seating so it shouldn't be an issue getting on and finding a seat (no assigned seating)

If you take the coach transfer to Bologna Centrale, it saves you the Ravenna to Bologna connection.  As cruisemom42 states, the Trenitalia high speed trains are the Frecce trains and the Frecciarossa (per the list above) is the specific version that serves Bologna to Rome.  I also think you should book this high speed train leg in advance as again as mentioned, it is cheaper the further you book in advance.  And the high speed trains are assigned seating and popular segments can get also become full such that you may need to book on a later train. 
Note there is also another high speed train company called Italo that is an option for the Boglona to Rome leg.  

Note on the above list for Ravenna to Rome, there are some options with multiple train changes (cambio).  IMO, to keep things simple, as with cruisemom42 I would focus on the 1 change options with the local commuter train from Ravenna to Bologna and high speed train from Bologna to Rome vs the 2+ change options that will generally take much longer.

You also see some Intercity trains but they are (obviously) slower than the high speed Frecce trains.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

@Milhouse  Thanks for providing the details. I'm leaving tonight for a week in Rome followed by a TA so am sort of writing in shorthand at this point while putting the last few things in my carry-on.

Yup, just thought I'd top up a bit.  I always appreciate your informative and detailed posts.

Have a great trip!

Ok so on another note our travel agent said it would be better to fly from bologna to rome instead of the train, as there is the big chance of the train workers striking. If we decide to do this are there shuttle buses to the airport instead of the train station?

59 minutes ago, dmead516 said:

Ok so on another note our travel agent said it would be better to fly from bologna to rome instead of the train, as there is the big chance of the train workers striking. If we decide to do this are there shuttle buses to the airport instead of the train station?

IMO a lot of so-called travel agents need to get another job!  Years ago, for the most part, travel agents were personally well versed in travel. Anymore I think they've never left home.  Yes, strikes do occur in Italy, but if you'll read thru these boards you'll see they are well advertised, and there are work arounds.  I might add airline workers also strike!  The train from Bologna to Rome will take about 2 to 2.5 hours.  You'll waste more time than that getting to/from airports in both Bologna and Rome, and having check-in required times.  There's also the added expense of getting from Rome airport to city center. While I do find trains have negatives (primarily centered around luggage), for these short hauls I'm on the train.

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

49 minutes ago, Girr said:

IMO a lot of so-called travel agents need to get another job!  Years ago, for the most part, travel agents were personally well versed in travel. Anymore I think they've never left home.  Yes, strikes do occur in Italy, but if you'll read thru these boards you'll see they are well advertised, and there are work arounds.  I might add airline workers also strike!  The train from Bologna to Rome will take about 2 to 2.5 hours.  You'll waste more time than that getting to/from airports in both Bologna and Rome, and having check-in required times.  There's also the added expense of getting from Rome airport to city center. While I do find trains have negatives (primarily centered around luggage), for these short hauls I'm on the train.

Well this one has been in the biz way before the "newbies" and has done numerous cruises all over so i do trust her as she has been my agent for over 20 years. But with that said, you do have some good points. Thanks for the response. 

7 hours ago, dmead516 said:

Train strikes in Italy are advertised well ahead of time.  Flying from Bologna to Rome is a waste of time and effort.  Much better to take the train.

6 hours ago, dmead516 said:

Well this one has been in the biz way before the "newbies" and has done numerous cruises all over so i do trust her as she has been my agent for over 20 years. But with that said, you do have some good points. Thanks for the response. 

She may have done numerous cruises, but how well does she know Italy?

People have a false and outdated  impression of Italy and strikes. I agree with the others, flying would be silly. Besides, flights can have strikes too.

(From someone who visits Italy at least annually and has used the trains regularly for many years.)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the detailed information. We are planning to fly into Venice and secure transport to Raveena to explore that city prior to our Celebrity Cruise on May 24, 2024.  Are you aware of a service to transport us from Venice to a hotel in Ravenna? The train is probably not an option as we will have several bags. Thank you in advance for any advise you may give me.

1 hour ago, Dallas Gal said:

Thank you for the detailed information. We are planning to fly into Venice and secure transport to Raveena to explore that city prior to our Celebrity Cruise on May 24, 2024.  Are you aware of a service to transport us from Venice to a hotel in Ravenna? The train is probably not an option as we will have several bags. Thank you in advance for any advise you may give me.

A couple of private transfer companies have been mentioned in previous posts;  NCC VIM Transfer and VQ Travel are the only names I've noted.  Very pricey though, around 400E.  Is your xtra luggage worth this expense?  Perhaps you can find others on your Roll Call to share the cost. 

Are you planning to spend time in Venice before or after the cruise? You could do your Venice stay and then get the Royal shuttle straight to the ship, or vice versa. We flew in and spent the night at the airport hotel, then too the shuttle from the airport to the cruise port the next morning. For the return, we took the shuttle to the Venice transportation center, bought transportation passes and enjoyed Venice for a few days before heading on to Florence and Rome by train.

We are hoping to get a shuttle/transport directly to Ravenna from Venice Airport, and spend a couple of days exploring Ravenna prior to sailing from their port. Our cruise ends in Rome.