Twice daily cabin service?

bphman

12 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Could you ask your steward to just turn down the covers after making the bed in the morning, rather than having a second servicing?

And not get the soggy towels removed? Or the ice replaced? Or my chocolates? Or the next day's Programme? Or my wastebasket emptied? 
Sacré Blu! 

I KNOW how to climb in bed. It's those things I can't do for myself I need done at night. 

• Like 2

We keep our cabin neat and tidy, but still enjoy having beds made in the morning, plus nighttime turn down service on cruises. With land based hotels they don’t even clean rooms daily anymore. 

Also morning room service breakfast is divine on cruises. Waaay too expensive for me to enjoy at land based hotels. 

Cruise perks are such a treat!

Edited by BruhnSisters
Spelling
  • Like 2

Once upon a time we stayed, annually, in a Myrtle Beach resort/hotel that had twice daily room service.  About 3 years ago, after we had booked and paid for an upcoming week, we received an e-mail saying that the daily service was no longer included (unless we wanted to pay an extra $40 per day.  The maids would only replace towels and do a real cleaning only twice a week!  We have never returned to that resort, and now simply rent a condo (much larger than a hotel room) for about the same price.  

And that is my feeling about cruise ships.  We know what to expect on cruises (been doing this thing for about 50 years) and that is one reason why we love to cruise.  Tis a slippery slope to accept these kind of cutbacks.  My goodness, we remember cruising when there was no such thing as extra cost restaurants, add-ons in the MDR, or add-ons on top of the add-ons in the PG.  Our reaction to all the cutbacks has been to simply move most of our cruising to luxury lines.  The past premium mass market lines of yesterday (like HAL) have become the new budget lines!  And many fans simply see what they want to see, ignore the cutbacks, ignore the constant add-ons, and ignore the downgrading of entertainment.  When you lower the bar...you simply get a lowered bar.

Hank

• Like 3

Ok. I have read through two pages of answers to this question and still do not know the answer. I realize for the suites, the sky is the limit on service. What I would like to know yes or no for an inside cabin on the Zaandam. Will I receive twice a day cabin cleaning, fresh towels and nightly turn down. Will I need to request it or will it be automatic.

Thank you all for adefinitive answer.

20 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

What I would like to know yes or no for an inside cabin on the Zaandam. Will I receive twice a day cabin cleaning, fresh towels and nightly turn down. Will I need to request it or will it be automatic.

It wasn't the Zaandam, but I had twice a day service on my last cruise. I had heard about the cutback, so told my cabin steward precisely what I wanted when I saw him. Not a problem. 

But, if I were you, I wouldn't take a chance it will happen automatically. I would be asking. 

• Like 4

On 9/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, Dobby36 said:

Also in the navigator app you can choose your options for service.  I believe it’s under “order now” or “service now” and you can request things for one time (extra hangers, pillows, etc) or to be done daily (AM ice, turndown, etc)

i used that option last month on zuiderdam as I didn’t see the attendants during the first 24 hours (rare- I usually run into them and introduce myself etc on first day) and it worked perfectly.   

anither nifty feature of this section of the app allows you to request things be retrieved. (Dirty room service tray, laundry, etc) this is handy if you miss the AM service but want to send laundry out or whatnot. 

Thanks for this.  I wasn't aware that this feature was available on the app.  Especially like the ability to retrieve things from the cabin feature.  I will be using that now when we order room service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Once upon a time we stayed, annually, in a Myrtle Beach resort/hotel that had twice daily room service.  About 3 years ago, after we had booked and paid for an upcoming week, we received an e-mail saying that the daily service was no longer included (unless we wanted to pay an extra $40 per day.  The maids would only replace towels and do a real cleaning only twice a week!  We have never returned to that resort, and now simply rent a condo (much larger than a hotel room) for about the same price.  

And that is my feeling about cruise ships.  We know what to expect on cruises (been doing this thing for about 50 years) and that is one reason why we love to cruise.  Tis a slippery slope to accept these kind of cutbacks.  My goodness, we remember cruising when there was no such thing as extra cost restaurants, add-ons in the MDR, or add-ons on top of the add-ons in the PG.  Our reaction to all the cutbacks has been to simply move most of our cruising to luxury lines.  The past premium mass market lines of yesterday (like HAL) have become the new budget lines!  And many fans simply see what they want to see, ignore the cutbacks, ignore the constant add-ons, and ignore the downgrading of entertainment.  When you lower the bar...you simply get a lowered bar.

Hank

I agree Hank.  My pandemic no-service patience has run its course.  Costs have gone up tremendously over the past couple of years and I am now expecting more - a lot more.

57 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

What I would like to know yes or no for an inside cabin on the Zaandam. Will I receive twice a day cabin cleaning, fresh towels and nightly turn down. Will I need to request it or will it be automatic.

We were in Inside cabins on the Nieuw Statendam in November 2022.

We were offered 1x or 2x a day service.  

So the answer based on our last inside cabin experience (Nov 22) on HAL is YES. 

• Like 2

My very favorite cabin steward was on NS last Feb. and he was an older gentleman. We were in an Oceanview cabin on Main deck. He never asked us what we wanted. He just did the 2x daily. Loved him...yes, he received a gift from us cash. What a love he was. 

• Like 3

As I mentioned above we only require evening service and yesterday evening after our stop in Warnemunde we spoke at length with our senior steward.  He is in his mid 40's and has 3 children (21.16.14) he has been with HAL for over 20 years.

Anyway, he also told us that they were given permission to finish the morning shift early yesterday. His contract ends in January and he is looking forward to going home and wanted to do some gift shopping for his kids.  He said that most of the stewards would be finished by 12 noon, but he was finished at 11.30 thanks to us.  I know he was joking with us, but sometimes it makes you feel a little good to make someone else a little happy.

• Like 4