Recent Experience at Alfredo's Restaurant

10cruise

Guest Snaxmuppet

I wonder how long it will be before they remove Alfredo's altogether and replace it with another full speciality restaurant which will generate more revenue.

How about an Indian or other asian restaurant. That is one of the things I really miss tbh.

36 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I wonder how long it will be before they remove Alfredo's altogether and replace it with another full speciality restaurant which will generate more revenue.

It does seem weird to have two Italian restaurants especially since there is free pizza on the pool deck on most ships.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AlibearNS said:

We are sitting in Alfredos on the Majestic right now. We’re on Plus, it’s 7.30pm on a sea day and we’re the only people here! 

IMG_9997.jpeg

Recently on the Regal and Alfredo's was a ghost town most of the time, with the waiters and the pizza cooks left with nothing to do.

It shouldn't take the bean counters long to figure out it was a bad move, but getting the suits to admit a mistake is another story.

In the meantime, the Melanoma Deck pizza is just fine.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

How about an Indian or other asian restaurant. That is one of the things I really miss tbh.

DW and I were discussing this last night. We figure this is the first step of a longer play to replace Alfredo's with a full charge specialty restaurant. First step was making it a pay venue, then when it performed poorly they shutter it and replace with full charge. 

Fleetwide, Princess has very limited full charge specialty restaurants. We are guessing Asian or Mexican would be on deck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

They won't.

Pizza is cheap and filling.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I check in on this thread periodically to see if anyone has posted about the sharing situation with any real-life experiences, but not much lately.  Just reports about largely being empty.  I guess not enough people are going there to hear about anything new/different.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I check in on this thread periodically to see if anyone has posted about the sharing situation with any real-life experiences, but not much lately.  Just reports about largely being empty.  I guess not enough people are going there to hear about anything new/different.

I can ask for you but I’ve a feeling it will be a no to sharing. They checked medallions as we entered telling us we were Plus therefore had a fixed meal each.
Most of the pizzas are 8.50 but there are 4 specials at 12. I asked if I could have one of the specials for my Plus fixed menu and was told no. I argued my case that this choice was a vegetarian pizza and as a vegetarian I have fewer options. He started wavering, then I said I didn’t intend having a starter so surely I could have the higher cost special. I could tell he didn’t want to stray from what was allowed but I got my pizza in the end. We didn’t want desserts but that was a fixed meal each done.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

I can ask for you but I’ve a feeling it will be a no to sharing. They checked medallions as we entered telling us we were Plus therefore had a fixed meal each.
Most of the pizzas are 8.50 but there are 4 specials at 12. I asked if I could have one of the specials for my Plus fixed menu and was told no. I argued my case that this choice was a vegetarian pizza and as a vegetarian I have fewer options. He started wavering, then I said I didn’t intend having a starter so surely I could have the higher cost special. I could tell he didn’t want to stray from what was allowed but I got my pizza in the end. We didn’t want desserts but that was a fixed meal each done.

Yes, we posters have been expecting that a guest on Plus could not share a prix fixe option with a table companion.  But we do not have much insight into how they are enforcing it. 

I get the concept of them checking Medallions in order to know what the guest is entitled to. I do agree that they are not going to let a guest have a $12 pizza as part of the $15 prix fixe meal.  However, I can see some flexibility extended perhaps if the guest was skipping other course(s) in the prix fixe deal.  I think they were fair to your request.

However, a Plus guest with a Casual Dining credit ought to be able to go into Alfredo's and order an a la carte pizza for $8.50 and not be forced to use one of their $15 prix fixe credits.  Perhaps all they want is a lighter snack and have plans to return for a full lunch on another day (like a sea day).  IOW, I should not have to burn up my two CD credits at $15 each before I am allowed to order an a la carte pizza.  I don't see that bucking any policy or rule.  If I never claim my prix fix meals, that's on me (but one may as well take the claim for a couple of free pizzas even if not interested in an App or a Dessert).

• Like 5

I guess I am just confused, but when my husband and I have eaten at Alfredo's in the past we did not either go to lunch if we had lunch there, or dinner if we had dinner there. I can't believe that Princess is cost wise ahead to feed us a 3 course lunch in the dining room, Club Class- or a 4 course dinner with all the fixings and staff required to do the complete meal, wash all the dishes used, and all the tablecloths and everything else involved with a complete meal. Maybe just me, We do go standard fair, in a suite so since we drink very little and don't take photos we are not missing out on much. I will be glad to pay for a pizza I guess, but still do not understand how this makes a lot of sense to Princess. I must be missing something, any suggestions. Does making a pizza really cost as much as a full meal in the dining room?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, we posters have been expecting that a guest on Plus could not share a prix fixe option with a table companion.  But we do not have much insight into how they are enforcing it. 

I get the concept of them checking Medallions in order to know what the guest is entitled to. I do agree that they are not going to let a guest have a $12 pizza as part of the $15 prix fixe meal.  However, I can see some flexibility extended perhaps if the guest was skipping other course(s) in the prix fixe deal.  I think they were fair to your request.

However, a Plus guest with a Casual Dining credit ought to be able to go into Alfredo's and order an a la carte pizza for $8.50 and not be forced to use one of their $15 prix fixe credits.  Perhaps all they want is a lighter snack and have plans to return for a full lunch on another day (like a sea day).  IOW, I should not have to burn up my two CD credits at $15 each before I am allowed to order an a la carte pizza.  I don't see that bucking any policy or rule.  If I never claim my prix fix meals, that's on me (but one may as well take the claim for a couple of free pizzas even if not interested in an App or a Dessert).

We will be on Discovery at the end of the month with Princess Plus…but it seems like a game now, how a passenger can try to figure out or take advantage of strange rules to charge you a fee to eat in a restaurant or have room service.  

Ready to just move to inclusive cruise lines and don’t worry if they are going to charge me to eat in a restaurant or room service.

They ,CCL, have record profits but still huge debit. I think they need a deep look into what they are doing with the decline in food and their new charge, charge, and charge...on top of your cruise fare.

Edited by gvre
  • Like 2

To expand a bit on my earlier observation on the Regal's Alfredo's, we were never tempted to pay extra for food when the included venues were so good.  The HC had a great variety and by avoiding peak times, we had some good meals there.  The MDR food was excellent.  Hot foods were hot and cold foods were cold.  Plenty of menu choices too.  In fact, some evenings it was hard to make a choice.  Nibbles in the P&E lounge were great, but we only nibbled there so as the enjoy the MDR meal.

I generally avoid the MDR in the evenings, but with SWMBO on the cruise, well, I ate there to enjoy domestic tranquility.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2023 at 5:48 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Whatever they do with it, they are making money.

Even if they do not sell one Alfredos pizza on a cruise they are saving all of the money that it would have previously cost them to meet the (considerable) demand for free Alfredos pizza.  Some of the previous posters in the 'world is ending because charges are being introduced for casual dining' club would have us believe they ate (free) Alfredos pizzas at least once every day of their cruise.  Thus, the cost savings will be substantial even if they are not actually selling many pizzas under the new arrangements.  And, they'll also have been able to make a substantial saving on staff, redeploying surplus to busier areas.  

It may be that they can generate more revenue by re-branding, but I wouldn't expect the suits to be losing much sleep with what has happened in the early weeks of this new set up.  And given how busy it used to be, I can believe that many used to eat both there and at MDR.  I suspect that staff costs were higher at Alfredos than in the MDR, so can understand how it would cost pretty much the same to provide a pizza there as it did a meal in the MDR, especially if a percentage of passengers are having meals in both locations at any given mealtime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Whatever they do with it, they are making money.

Not if they have to keep the restaurant open and not that many people show up. They'll simply go elsewhere & eat food that's included with the base fare.

As good as the food was at Alfredo's, I won't be considering it any longer. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AlibearNS said:

When we cruise with Princess early next year with our Plus package, unless they revise the terms, we'll have the same silly talk with them as we are also vegetarians.  It's not a big deal given the low stakes, but, really....the option should be one pizza, regardless of type, then starter and dessert if you choose...which, like you, we won't partake in either as how much food can you eat?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yeah, this is ridiculous.

I'd want to use my credits at Ocean Terrace.  So, I'd have to do that first before stepping foot in Alfredo's or Gigi's for an stand alone pizza?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Yeah, this is ridiculous.

I'd want to use my credits at Ocean Terrace.  So, I'd have to do that first before stepping foot in Alfredo's or Gigi's for an stand alone pizza?

No, you'd be able to charge the standalone pizza to your stateroom.

• Like 1

Update:

Alfredo’s is actually quite busy today at lunchtime, but as the waiter confirmed - ONLY busy at lunchtime. I believe it’s mostly Plus passengers who want to fit in what they’re entitled to without losing their evening MDR meal.

Regarding sharing @Steelers36 here on the Majestic the answer is YES. I spoke with an assistant manager who confirmed that if we’d wished we could use just one fixed at a time enabling the two of us to come 4x. He said to let the hostess know what we intend doing on arrival when she scans us in. He confirmed there is a couple from Canada onboard doing just this. They share the starter, a pizza, and the dessert turning the two fixed meals into 4.

If you don’t want to use your fixed meal, again, just let the hostess know on arrival.

Of course, this might just be the Majestic as we know things can vary ship to ship…

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

On 9/29/2023 at 9:48 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

Or they could add another jewelry store to reduce the crowding in the existing stores.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

The post I replied to stated I couldn't. 

Princess wants you to use a credit when going to Alfredo's, as they're checking medallions.

Advice is to tell the host before they scan you that your plan is to order a la carte this visit so they don't charge the Prix Fixe cover charge.

• Like 2