MDR - 7 to 3

Cruising Princess

Someone posted that the Murano menu would be tweaked (it is getting tired).  I know Dover sole is expensive but it's also my favorite meal in Murano.  I'm waiting for another X shoe to drop on that one; I'm really hoping it remains.  No matter what they cut/change, corporate spin will be it's "improved."  I'm sure X isn't done with whatever food cuts they think they can get away with so I keep a watchful eye for posts about all the food venues.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 7:12 AM, Mark_T said:

That was for Luminae, they diverted other food questions to a separate future event, yet to be scheduled...

We just got off the Millie and dined in Luminae. The menu was still the old menu with the horrible Chicken Tagine but overall the rest of the menu was pretty good. We skipped a few nights when the fish or veggie course was not to my DW's liking. The biggest problem I had with Luminae is that even on vegetarian looking apps and fish entrees....they always liked to put pork in them. There was always some sort of panchetta or guanciale added to almost every non beef or lamb dish. It was usually easy to remove but it would be easier if they would not have it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

We just got off the Millie and dined in Luminae. The menu was still the old menu with the horrible Chicken Tagine but overall the rest of the menu was pretty good. We skipped a few nights when the fish or veggie course was not to my DW's liking. The biggest problem I had with Luminae is that even on vegetarian looking apps and fish entrees....they always liked to put pork in them. There was always some sort of panchetta or guanciale added to almost every non beef or lamb dish. It was usually easy to remove but it would be easier if they would not have it.

I'd have hoped that Luninae were still as good as I remember at anticipating your needs after a discussion at the start of the cruise, so if you wanted a pescatarian diet they should have been willing to accommodate your needs.

In general though I wouldn't blame them for offering the apps the way you describe them as the additions do make a significant difference to texture and taste in a lot of cases.

4 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Someone posted that the Murano menu would be tweaked (it is getting tired).  I know Dover sole is expensive but it's also my favorite meal in Murano.  I'm waiting for another X shoe to drop on that one; I'm really hoping it remains.  No matter what they cut/change, corporate spin will be it's "improved."  I'm sure X isn't done with whatever food cuts they think they can get away with so I keep a watchful eye for posts about all the food venues.

We ate in Murano twice last week when on Solstice. Same old menu. Personally, I wish they would change it and add some different choices.  Not cheapen it but give us at least a new appetizer and main. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I'd have hoped that Luninae were still as good as I remember at anticipating your needs after a discussion at the start of the cruise, so if you wanted a pescatarian diet they should have been willing to accommodate your needs.

In general though I wouldn't blame them for offering the apps the way you describe them as the additions do make a significant difference to texture and taste in a lot of cases.

I mainly eat fish. On Apex in Luminae I had to send my fish back so many times as either raw or overcooked. I ended up ordering either the meat or veggie options. Fine but I’m also gluten free. In June we were Aqua. I didn’t need to send my fish back once! 

On 9/28/2023 at 10:37 AM, SoloAlaska said:

The smaller menu makes sense especially since celebrity cooks to order each ticket. 

With all due respect, I have my doubts about this. If it is true and they were able to cook to order each ticket…..for years….with no problem…then they can do it now as well. 

imo the condensed menu has only to do with cost saving. Inflation on food prices have left no industry unscathed. 

Edit to say I just saw your post 14. We also did a galley tour in 2019. I honestly don’t recall what they said. I guess it could be true based on the time I’ve waited for my meal to arrive but I tend to think it’s more plated to order than cooked. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing what was reported to you. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

We only ever eat in the buffet but the new MDR menus look perfectly fine to us.

I think it would look perfectly fine and normal to one who has never dined in the MDR. This may be part of the push to acquire first time celebrity cruisers who wouldn’t know any different. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I think it would look perfectly fine and normal to one who has never dined in the MDR. This may be part of the push to acquire first time celebrity cruisers who wouldn’t know any different. 

Or to push people towards speciality dining. Maybe I’m just cynical 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

With all due respect, I have my doubts about this. If it is true and they were able to cook to order each ticket…..for years….with no problem…then they can do it now as well. 

imo the condensed menu has only to do with cost saving. Inflation on food prices have left no industry unscathed. 

Edit to say I just saw your post 14. We also did a galley tour in 2019. I honestly don’t recall what they said. I guess it could be true based on the time I’ve waited for my meal to arrive but I tend to think it’s more plated to order than cooked. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing what was reported to you. 

The smaller menu makes sense but that doesn’t mean they are executing it well or that the menu is that good.

cook to order usually means that everything is prepped, sauces are made, some items are partially cooked. For example a pasta dish you can picture a process similar to what happens at the buffet pasta station. It’s not like they have a giant pot of pasta with sauce that they plop into your plate a scoop of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have eaten MDR but found the wait, the lack of privacy from adjoining tables and being stuck with the same company for nights on end edged us towards the buffet.

Plus we've always found the food in cruise buffets to be excellent.

And as we only ever travel with carry-on it saves lugging extra gear around when we continue travelling after our cruise.

Mostly we like to drink then eat then sleep in that order and as the third generally follows the second fairly sharpish we like to eat late, Mediterranean-style where the buffet suits us.

We notice relaxed informal dining has become much more popular.

Tbh, we also think the idea that every meal served in the MDR is cooked to order hence the long wait to be unlikely. It's mass catering not fine dining.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The new menus offer poor choice and reduced quality sadly.  Just back from Silhouette, and it was not at all good. You could tell the waiters were a little embarrassed at what they were serving too. 

• Like 1