Legal name on cruise reservation

A big THANK YOU to the woman who posted a few years ago, about having problems boarding the ship, because her boyfriend used her nickname instead of legal name!!!

This morning I hopped onto the app, to check menus for my cruise with mom (her first one- yay!!!).  I have a few upcoming ones booked, so I had to back out, and select the right one.  I saw the names… me, Carol.  And I’m like oh no!!  I ran to check the copy of her passport she sent me and yep… Carolyn!  So glad that I used a TA for this one, since both the airline and cruise reservations need to be updated 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

A big THANK YOU to the woman who posted a few years ago, about having problems boarding the ship, because her boyfriend used her nickname instead of legal name!!!

This morning I hopped onto the app, to check menus for my cruise with mom (her first one- yay!!!).  I have a few upcoming ones booked, so I had to back out, and select the right one.  I saw the names… me, Carol.  And I’m like oh no!!  I ran to check the copy of her passport she sent me and yep… Carolyn!  So glad that I used a TA for this one, since both the airline and cruise reservations need to be updated 🙂

Glad you caught that.  Never an issue changing the name on Royals reservation as late as 48 hours prior to sailing but changing a name on a plane ticket can sometimes incur fees

• Like 1

Can I just say, I understand having to book in your legal name/match passport, but would it be so hard for Royal to include a field on the reservation for "preferred name"? My husband is a Middle Name Person. Nothing makes him feel more "welcome" than being heartily greeted by the staff as "Mr. First Name." Or when the wait staff sing "Happy birthday, dear First Name." This has got to be an issue for a lot of people! 

• Like 3

Fun fact- when I got my drivers license, right after getting married, I accidentally signed my maiden name.  Did lots of traveling and whatnot, with this.  No one noticed (not even me!!).  About 2 years in, a store at the Mall of America checked my license to use a credit card, noticed the mistake, and wouldn’t let me make the (like $100) purchase!!!

On 9/28/2023 at 2:37 PM, schlimazel_traveler said:

Can I just say, I understand having to book in your legal name/match passport, but would it be so hard for Royal to include a field on the reservation for "preferred name"? My husband is a Middle Name Person. Nothing makes him feel more "welcome" than being heartily greeted by the staff as "Mr. First Name." Or when the wait staff sing "Happy birthday, dear First Name." This has got to be an issue for a lot of people! 

Considering RCI IT track record, I would hate to see how messed up that would turn out.

I agree that it would be a good thing, ex was a second name of 4 person, another friend is a nckname person.  Just questioning the ability of RCI to implement without MAJOR hassles.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 6:37 PM, schlimazel_traveler said:

I’m also a middle name person. Since my first name is on my sea pass I just go with the flow when they call me by my first name. It would be to much trouble to try to correct them.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:37 PM, schlimazel_traveler said:

I also go by my middle name and always have, but don't really care if they call me by my legal first name.  All they have to do is say hello.  Using my "preferred" name really doesn't change how I feel about being onboard.  I'm not there to be "welcomed".  I'm there for a vacation.  

Edited by BND