Seating capacities of restaurants

MarkWiltonM

Does anyone know the seating capacities of the restaurants that require reservations? The Wake, Extra Virgin, Pink Agave, Razzle Dazzle, Gunbae, The Test Kitchen. I'm curious about the total number of guests who can be accommodated in a seating, for example. 

In a recent interview by the new president of VV, he said that the restaurants hold 200 people each.  This seems fairly accurate based on what I can see.  So 6 restaurants seating 200 each  would be 1200 at a time, and they can do that at least twice, maybe 3 times since seatings are offered to begin at 6 with a last sit down time of 9:30.  (that is seating time, not closing time).

Bottom line, we have never been unable to get a reservation at a sit down restaurant in our 29 nights on board.  We have been able to do walk ins when we wanted to change times; again no problem.  We did choose to eat dinner in The Galley once because their special was a delicious Beef Wellington!

You can also incorporate people who choose to eat on shore during some of the late night/overnight stays, but also need to throw in the fact that crew can dine in the dining rooms when the sailor load on board is not full.  They are usually permitted only the latest dining times, and hypothetically when the restaurants are not full.....although there are plenty of reports of sailors being unable to get walk in seating when there are large groups of crew enjoying themselves.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They looked much larger than we were expecting.  In all cases (since we eat early, 6 pm) we walked past a vast area of empty tables before being seated in various rooms.

We wanted to return to the Wake (cancelling a different restaurant) and was told No.  When I pointed out all the empty tables early, he said "it's not that we don't have the space, we don't have the servers to give you the best service and experience".

Returning to Extra Virgin instead was not a problem.

I have no idea how full the ship was for our sailing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Another dining reservation tidbit I've heard floating around: Prior to  boarding, they only open up 40% availability.

On embarkation day, they open up the remaining 60%.

I've heard at least 3 different figures quoted, but the idea is the same--there will be a lot of seating available at embarkation that wasn't available in advance.  And, in part based on length of cruise, there will be a lot of shuffling around while on board.

An interesting point--on our last cruise, we attempted to reschedule a reservation a few hours in advance.  While we were able to do a walk in at our restaurant of choice, we were not able to cancel the previous reservation--it seemed sad that someone couldn't know that they could get a spot rather than doing a walk in and hoping.  We have definitely canceled and booked elsewhere with more notice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

They looked much larger than we were expecting.  In all cases (since we eat early, 6 pm) we walked past a vast area of empty tables before being seated in various rooms.

We wanted to return to the Wake (cancelling a different restaurant) and was told No.  When I pointed out all the empty tables early, he said "it's not that we don't have the space, we don't have the servers to give you the best service and experience".

Returning to Extra Virgin instead was not a problem.

I have no idea how full the ship was for our sailing.

The Wake had the worst service we experienced on board.  There was one guy with a much younger woman at another table with 4 crew hovering around them.  They ordered the large seafood tower and a lot of alcohol.  I have no idea who they were--not Branson or McAlpin.  The rest of us were largely ignored--it took 45 minutes from being seated at our booked time till someone took our order and total time in the restaurant was 2 1/2 hours.  In addition there were 3 guys who appeared to be managers who stood around and never did anything.  In other restaurants, the managers seemed to be aware of delays or problems and jump in to make things happen.  For instance, in RD, we often saw the lead person at the podium step away to clear or wipe tables, leaving only one at the podium.   We were so dis-satisfied with out one dinner at The Wake that we canceled our other two reservations! (15 night cruise)

• Like 2

Thanks for the information that there is quite a bit of seating.

Are there reports from full sailings about how the reservations are working?  If there is much difficulty getting into the dining rooms,  then we will not be happy.  In the past, we had trouble getting specialty dining on Oceania and that is still a very bad memory.  FYI we are pretty flexible but a reservation later than 9pm would not be good.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Are there reports from full sailings about how the reservations are working?  If there is much difficulty getting into the dining rooms,  then we will not be happy.  In the past, we had trouble getting specialty dining on Oceania and that is still a very bad memory.  FYI we are pretty flexible but a reservation later than 9pm would not be good.

I've read both good and bad from people who claim to be on a "full" ship but don't cite numbers.   Capacity, if every bed in every cabin is full is 2700.  We've been on cruises with from 1400 to just under 2000 sailors and I truly couldn't tell a difference in ability to get reservations.  I did make reservations for each night in advance, always on the day they became available, but not always at midnight when it opened.  We had no trouble switching things around on board, and only once, on one sailing were denied a walk in.  To be fair, that was noon and we were asking for brunch at The Wake.....and they did offer the next day as a possibility.  I can't address what it would be like with, say, 2500 from personal experience.

We have a cruise coming up, and I got a reservation for each night at 8pm with no difficulty.  I'm in a Sea Terrace with nothing that would give me any special "status,"  

I know that they regulate which crew can eat in guest areas and when based on the number of guests on board.  They can eat in The Galley and the reserved restaurants during limited hours on a "space available" basis, but I would not be happy to be turned away and see a table of crew members being served.  Our funny was a young man in a crew uniform in line for the salads in The Galley.  As each guest came up, he would tell them to go ahead.  I finally told him that he'd never get his salad if he kept that up, and we were all encouraging him to go (he was there first).  He absolutely wouldn't (probably policy) so I told him to tell me what he wanted and I'd order 2 salads.  That worked....he got his food and he let the guests go in front of himself.  

Another hint.  The salad station closes at 10:30pm.  It is great to pop a salad in the fridge for a late night snack!  Yes, you can get the "to go" boxes as well, or room service.  but the custom made salad was nice as well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks.

Currently onboard a busy Valiant Lady apparently with 2200 sailors and we’ve not had any problems with dining. I did make reservations at 45 days out but have been able to change the time of some  without problems and also turned up late at Test Kitchen so my reservation had been automatically cancelled but they were still able to seat us. I have seen people report they are being turned away at the Wake for walk ups, that seems to be the hardest place to get into.

If you want the prime 7pm slots you need to get in quick as soon as booking opens in advance or onboard. But getting 8pm or 6pm isn’t difficult.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, jon81uk said:

Currently onboard a busy Valiant Lady apparently with 2200 sailors and we’ve not had any problems with dining. I did make reservations at 45 days out but have been able to change the time of some  without problems and also turned up late at Test Kitchen so my reservation had been automatically cancelled but they were still able to seat us. I have seen people report they are being turned away at the Wake for walk ups, that seems to be the hardest place to get into.

If you want the prime 7pm slots you need to get in quick as soon as booking opens in advance or onboard. But getting 8pm or 6pm isn’t difficult.

Does 7pm tend to be the prime slots on all cruises? 

I’m doing a Wetsren med sailing and on some other lines, British and North American passengers have been in a minority 9sometimes very small) with far more Spanish, French and Italians who tend to eat later. Mind you those were Italian cruise lines that catered for 5 languages at least in everything.

Ar VV sailings more English speakers and early diners?

I like 8 or 8.30 when on holiday so maybe i won’t find it so difficult unless being solo makes it more difficult?

What is the mix of table sizes? Are most larger tables or more for 2 people? just wondering where they put solos 9at a table for 2 on their own or at a bigger table).

16 minutes ago, AmoMondo said:

Does 7pm tend to be the prime slots on all cruises? 

I’m doing a Wetsren med sailing and on some other lines, British and North American passengers have been in a minority 9sometimes very small) with far more Spanish, French and Italians who tend to eat later. Mind you those were Italian cruise lines that catered for 5 languages at least in everything.

Ar VV sailings more English speakers and early diners?

I like 8 or 8.30 when on holiday so maybe i won’t find it so difficult unless being solo makes it more difficult?

What is the mix of table sizes? Are most larger tables or more for 2 people? just wondering where they put solos 9at a table for 2 on their own or at a bigger table).

Virgin Voyages is almost all Americans and Brits. More Americans from Miami and then probably 60% Brits from Barcelona or Athens. Less than 10% of guests are non-English speakers (ie not UK, USA or Canada), just a few Italians and Spanish. It’s definitely an American cruise line.

7pm or 7.30 does seem the most popular time to dine and then see a show at 10pm. I think 8.30-9.30 reservations are less

popular. 

Most tables seat two or four, so as a solo you’ll get a 2-top for yourself. Some nights there are organised solo meet up where they have a group table for dinner though. The only restaurant that seats strangers together is Gunbae as the tables round the grill seat 6-8. Although at most places the tables for two are close enough together that you can make conversation!

8 tends to be popular time as shows generally are at 8 and 10.  If you are seated much later than 8, you may feel rushed for the 10pm show.  MOST meals take about 90 minutes.  Test Kitchen can run longer with good service, and The Wake can be VERY slow with poor service at times.  There are always some people who prefer to eat earlier, but that needs to be 6-6:30 to catch the 8pm show.  7 is great for people who have different plans for the evening, rather than the show (Red Room holds a bit over 400 people, so not everyone on board can see the show the same night)

Yes, the ship is largely English speaking.  There are many tables for 2 or 4 other than in Gunbae.  On the first night there is a solo dinner with members of the Happenings Cast, no reservations needed, at 6;30 in Razzle Dazzle; that will be at one of the larger tables.  Tables for 2 are not as close together as they are in some other lines (like Princess) where there is barely space to get seated as the other tables are so close....but they are close enough to talk with those at other tables if you choose.  You can also politely ignore them.  We've had great experiences both ways.  Being a solo will not be a problem anywhere.  I've never seen people seated at a large table with others without being asked first.  The usual is to seat a solo at a table for 2.

• 7 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 9/29/2023 at 3:52 PM, happy cruzer said:

Thanks.

We sailed on the Resilient Lady, Auckland to Sydney, 12 night cruise. Passengers were at 2550 or 91% full. We were albe to get all our reservations for dinner done before boarding. But there was absolutely no changing. We met at least a dozen couples who were not able to get a single dinner reservation for all 12 nights. Yes even 930PM slots were not available, but I think VV did that on purpose. Because we were told in a round-about way that VV plans on 600-800 passengers per night eating in the Galley.

The dining reservation system on VV, is severely flawed in this way. Many times we had 6-630PM reservations. Many times, there were hardly any other diners in the restaurant until we were leaving at 730PM. Which means that they hold seats open until 730PM. Because all of these restaurants were turning passengers away, saying they were full for evening. VV could easily just do 530PM, 730 PM and 930PM sittings. That way they could  accommodate more passengers. But VV  knows everything. Besides our food not being hot 10 of 12 nights...

Edited by notme2012

On 9/29/2023 at 2:17 PM, cantgetin said:

For instance, in RD, we often saw the lead person at the podium step away to clear or wipe tables, leaving only one at the podium.

I know one of the managers on Scarlet and many a day I've seen him grab a mop to sop up a spill.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I know one of the managers on Scarlet and many a day I've seen him grab a mop to sop up a spill.

That's the way it should be....and we saw a lot more of that on our recent trip....no instances of 3 managers standing around talking while there was work to be done.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 7:32 PM, cantgetin said:

That's the way it should be....and we saw a lot more of that on our recent trip....no instances of 3 managers standing around talking while there was work to be done.

Um, on our cruise, I witnessed many times, multiple employees clustered around the restaurant reception counters. Literally standing there with nothing to do, because there were very few guests in the restaurants until 730PM...

2 minutes ago, notme2012 said:

Um, on our cruise, I witnessed many times, multiple employees clustered around the restaurant reception counters. Literally standing there with nothing to do, because there were very few guests in the restaurants until 730PM...

Interesting.  The cruise where we saw 3 managers standing around we were seated and waited 45 minutes before anyone came to take our order.  Dinner took 2 1/2 hours they were so slow.  Interestingly there was a late middle aged may with a much younger woman at a table in the same cluster. For most of the night, there were 4 crew members around that table....large seafood tower, lots of alcohol.  We didn't go back there for the rest of the cruise.